3D printing

Norlevo

Hi :) wanna know if someone in FA already have a 3D printer, and if yes: which one.

I may buy one soon (tiko 3D: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiko3d/tiko-the-unibody-3d-printer) so i wanted to know the issues/surprises you had with before starting for real.

Have a nice day !

Hey, yeah I have two 3d printers. One I bought together with a friend, it also started on a kickstarter: Overlord from Dreammaker

The second 3d printer was given to me by a colleague, honestly don't remember the name of it though!

A few years ago I was introduced to 3d printing while working at a company in the Netherlands (Fokker Aerostructures). The department I was in had bought the Leapfrog Dual extruded 3d printer, and I set it up for them.

If you have software to make 3d models, then a 3d printer can be very fun, even useful and practical. For example, my curtains are hanging on brackets that I 3d printed. Saved like 20-30 euros per bracket, lol.

However if you can't use some kind of software package, then you are stuck to making stuff people have posted online.

Edited by ajnl
  • Like 1

yup i'm using blender for modelling, and i tried 123D catch: by taking photos you have a 3d model, really awesome.

But when using the printers you didn't have any problems, or expensive parts broken ?

I think i'll mostly use it for model making and warhammers ahah, and a few engineering projects with my friends

None of the parts are very expensive. Some use standard boards, some use custom ones, I guess that would be expensive if it broke.

3d printing is something you'll need time for, since they usually need a lot of tweaking. One of the annoying parts is leveling the printing bed.

With 123D catch, can you actually download an STL file to 3d print?

Edited by ajnl