win 10 screws up everything

Pradera

As my PC is 8 yrs old, I'm looking into getting a new one. Most likely, the new one is offered with Windows 10 on it.

I've heard some people mention that Win10 gave them issues for playing ET, lags etc.

The post above seems to indicate that it runs well though, is that a correct understanding?

All advice is welcome. Win7, Win10? (all advice on pc too, intel core i5 or i7? 5820K?)

ET is important, that has to run smoothly.

Thx!

If you're getting a new PC that comes with windows 10, you're unlikely to have any problems beyond the ones we're used to dealing with when installing and running et. The main complaints are from people who have win7/win8 era hardware, then upgrade to 10. The driver support for older hardware is often half assed or nonexistent. With windows 10 MS is really looking forward to the mobile computing/sync everything/touch screening future, and not worrying overmuch about supporting the older stuff any more than they have to. Hardware manufacturers are following their lead as they know which side of the bread their butter is on.

anyway, go for win 10 on that new laptop! ET will run fine after you go through the usual install and config rituals, provided you've made offerings to the proper electronics deities.:)

• Like 2

thx for the reply :)

so, is an i5 then better then an i7?

for general PC usage, think both are OK

i know it's an old game, but i play ET often, and if one cpu is better then the other for that, then I'll choose the better ET-performant one

as to desktop or laptop: i now have a desktop, and i dont need that new pc to be mobile.

do you think that in today's laptop world the arguments pro desktops are still valid? (i mean: easier to upgrade new gpu etc)

my concern is also this:

cpu's get faster each generation, so automatically you would think 'oh good they'll be better for the game'

but, OS also gets heavier to run each new generation

so, for me it's hard to judge where the balance sits: which cpu is now actually going to deliver the real better performance, combined with new gen windows / new gen Firefox / the good old ET.

Against background of the 4-core-6-core-8-core etc, same story: which would be recommnded?

Or, is all that worries unneccessary, and do they all run 200 fps, lag free :)

Thx again for the kind advice.

Edited by F'nat!c

Greetings..Look under pc software support in forum for issues running Windows 10 with games..my understanding is that Windows 10 auto updates and can use resources..in that forum they have steps to help this...you can post there..

thx for the reply :)

so, is an i5 then better then an i7?

for general PC usage, think both are OK

i know it's an old game, but i play ET often, and if one cpu is better then the other for that, then I'll choose the better ET-performant one

as to desktop or laptop: i now have a desktop, and i dont need that new pc to be mobile.

do you think that in today's laptop world the arguments pro desktops are still valid? (i mean: easier to upgrade new gpu etc)

my concern is also this:

cpu's get faster each generation, so automatically you would think 'oh good they'll be better for the game'

but, OS also gets heavier to run each new generation

so, for me it's hard to judge where the balance sits: which cpu is now actually going to deliver the real better performance, combined with new gen windows / new gen Firefox / the good old ET.

Against background of the 4-core-6-core-8-core etc, same story: which would be recommnded?

Or, is all that worries unneccessary, and do they all run 200 fps, lag free :)

Thx again for the kind advice.

you will have a great time playing et with i5 or i7, or any amd processor. desktop or laptop, it doesn't matter. at this point, any computer you buy or build will run et like a champ. now, you will have to do some tweaks, you may have to use 2.60b instead of etlegacy, or vice versa, but with any new hardware you'll be able to play with a great framerate. :) we are really only limited by our internet connections these days :(