Lost Explorers: The unrealized vision of Google Glass

Night Hunter

When Google unveiled its smart and controversial eyewear three years ago, some early tech adopters tried to do their part by eagerly pushing for Glass acceptance. The world pushed back.

river-robert-scoble-google-glass-1569.jp

In the downstairs bathroom of a suburban home in a Northern California coastal town, tech blogger Robert Scoble derailed one of the most ambitious projects of one of the most powerful companies on Earth with a single photo.

Scoble's wife, Maryam, snapped the now-infamous picture in the couple's home in Half Moon Bay, about 30 miles northwest of Google's headquarters in Mountain View. Scoble is in the shower, wearing nothing but a psyched expression and Google Glass. The company had announced its smart eyewear a year earlier as part of an ambitious project led by Google co-founder Sergey Brin to reimagine how people interact with the world. Scoble was among Google's chosen few "Glass Explorers" invited to buy the $1,500 prototype.

The photo, thankfully, is cropped from the shoulders down.

"You thought I was kidding when I said I would never take them off," Scoble wrote when he posted the photo to his Google+ social network account on April 28, 2013.