SLI? Or new GPU?

Daliger

Hello!

So, for future reference, when I decide to give my computer's GPU an upgrade, should I get another gtx770 and SLI it with the one  i currently already have installed? Or should I upgrade my 770 to the newest GPU instead, and pretty much ditch the 770.

-king

(I think this falls under the correct forums topic.. If not, well, sorry haha)

First of does your motherboard and  PSU allow it? Because I calculated the requiremeants and in the end bought new PSU;)

I got used HD 6950(in nvidia terms its about gtx 760 or lower) in CrossFire and got nice boost in FPS and could even rise quality in games(Crysis low-medium -> medium-ultra).

Though nVidia GPU- s tend to be more energy efficient I guess temps in case would still rise about 5-10C. Theres also the physical dimensions constraint...

Depends what your current specs are and what are you looking for?

First of does your motherboard and  PSU allow it? Because I calculated the requiremeants and in the end bought new PSU;)

I got used HD 6950(in nvidia terms its about gtx 760 or lower) in CrossFire and got nice boost in FPS and could even rise quality in games(Crysis low-medium -> medium-ultra).

Though nVidia GPU- s tend to be more energy efficient I guess temps in case would still rise about 5-10C. Theres also the physical dimensions constraint...

Depends what your current specs are and what are you looking for?

I checked if my current specs would support it (Case, MOBO, PSU, have SLI cord); yes, they would.

Only thing that might be an issue, would be the heat jump. With a single 770, i can max out Crysis 3's settings with not-that-much lag. However, the GPU temp is about 61-64C (max temp before automatic performance reduction being 69C) But since i'd have two 770s SLIing, wouldn't that make them not have to strain as hard?

I'd simply be looking for a performance boost in gaming. Soon, the max settings of games will be increased, and i'd like to be able to keep up with max standards. 

Well to be honest I tried CF only because for fun of it. I could´ve sold my old GPU and add 150€(which I did anyways for 2nd GPU) and get the same performance from single r9 series GPU. But as I was already planning it in back in my mind when buying mobo and case I just went for CF, because of the fun of building ;) And I have mid-tower case with lots of airflow, so I didn´t sweat for extra heat so much.

I was wondering also why you´d want to change gtx770 atm as its quite powerful and by time new games start coming out new GPU-s from AMD and nvidia should be arriving also...

So whats your PC case?

Well to be honest I tried CF only because for fun of it. I could´ve sold my old GPU and add 150€(which I did anyways for 2nd GPU) and get the same performance from single r9 series GPU. But as I was already planning it in back in my mind when buying mobo and case I just went for CF, because of the fun of building ;) And I have mid-tower case with lots of airflow, so I didn´t sweat for extra heat so much.

I was wondering also why you´d want to change gtx770 atm as its quite powerful and by time new games start coming out new GPU-s from AMD and nvidia should be arriving also...

So whats your PC case?

Sounds like I have a similar case to you size-wise. Mid-tower with a good amount of airflow. The case shouldn't pose any threats, i don't think. 

And I simply want to continue to be able to max out settings in games. I'd bet by holiday 2014, my 770 probably won't be able to run 'extra' or 'max' settings. When that time comes, I'm either going to get another 770 or a new GPU all-together