How to do maize tortillas handmade.

Papito

In this topic you will learn:

• How to do dough. (Also used for many other mexican food)
  • How to do Tortillas handmade.

3153033474_6a8ce8a222.jpg

About Tortillas

According to Maya legend, tortillas were invented by a peasant for his hungry king in ancient times. The first tortillas discovered, which date back to approximately 10,000 BC, were made of native maize with dried kernel. The Aztecs used a lot of maize, both eaten straight from the cob and in recipes. They ground the maize, and used the cornmeal to make a dough called masa(dough).

Daily consumption of tortillas into Mexico is about 300 million. Of course, to meet a demand of this magnitude, there are machines that produce in large quantities. But in many parts of the country, especially in rural areas, making tortillas is the daily duty of women.

The recipe given below is deveras ancient, is almost a daily ritual and necessary vital is done with devotion. The only concession to modern times is the use of small metallic press or roll the dough: elementary instrument, sold in all markets of Mexico, and has saved untold millions of hours of work a million hands female.

What you need?
  • One kilogram (2Lb or3.2740oz) of maize flour.
  • Cup and half of water.
  • Salt to taste.

Procedure:

Pour the flour into a bowl and mix with salt. We add lukewarm water gradually, as we remove the fingers of one hand. The dough should be soft, but not excessively, but to keep the shape and press with a finger and we can make balls with it without problems.

Divide the dough into balls the size that best for us, depending on the size you want the tortillas. In my case I like rather small, because they are more comfortable to eat, so I make the balls the size of a plum.

receta-de-tortillas-mexicanas-de-maiz-pa

Then crush lightly and if we have a press or dyke, which is what we use in Mexico to crush the dough we will, if we can not, put the ball between two pieces of plastic wrap and crush with something heavy, such as tray oven. The important thing is that they should be as thin as possible, of only several millimeters thick.

We can also stretch with classic roll although the shape and the result will be more irregular. Anyway we can always resort to the typical ring and we remain perfect edges. Once we have the tortilla with the final form with the help of the film we pour on the hand and on the griddle or cast iron will be hot.

FYI:

There is also how to do the maize flour with corn, if somebody is interested, just tell me and I can do a How to do a Maize flour or Nixtamal (Nixtamlazitation),

• Like 2