Windows 7

w0nder

Question

Well I can now add COD4 multi to the list of things that do not work now since I installed windows 7..

I am having BF2 invalid cd key issues, GTA server authentication issues, and now it says "error cant connect" when I try to play COD4 multi on FA servers. I am assuming all these are linked to my Windows 7 install.

Anyone have 7 and had issues?

8 answers to this question

Wow... I feal for you wonder. I was thinking of upgrading to W7 64 but i think i will wait a while. I like my games.

Well for the most part its been better for me. It is just the few things I keep running into that are a pain. However I did get ET to work with a little tweek or 2 to the PnkBstr.exe files, so I am sure that the rest will work.. Just a matter of how.

W7 64 Overall is way the phuck better. I do a LOT of word processing and 7 is so much faster. My start up time is like 12 seconds from password to ready to go desktop, all loaded apps.. Vista was like almost a minute with most startups disabled.. :(

I say give it a try.. These little game issues can be fixed im sure.. I know the ET one can..

@ Chuck I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) And had not a problem with installing and playing BF2. :) I did have to change compatibility mode on ET and some other games to run in windows XP SP3 mode. So far I got no complaints with it.

How about an answer to your question.....

I have found that win 7 can be very picky with games.... here's what I have done that works

I install all of my games to C:\Games\<whatever>

COD4 will run fine as a normal user from there, and it will store all of its information in its own directory instead of the virtual store that is buried in the user account folder.

I have also found that UAC can cause funky issues with some games even when installed in the games folder:

When I try to run Battle Field: Bad Company 2 Beta as a normal user, I cant get a lot of data (ping, friends online) to show up, but if I right click on the shortcut and run as administrator, everything works the way it was designed. You may want to try that with your games before uninstalling and reinstalling any of them.

I hope this helps.

And I run both win7 ultimate 64 bit on my desktop, and 32 bit on my laptop.

I have win 7 ultimate x86 (32 bit) and i have to say that I haven't experienced any problems with any games whatsoever. ET is running without any compatibility modes, I had an old COD 4 installation on my games drive, that worked without any problems too. But when I google it it seems like most people out there are having problems with x64 bit versions. May be you should try install a parallel x86 boot and see where does that leads you to?

Edited by SkaM