Intel's upcoming Core i7-2700K expected to cost more than the 2600K

DJ aka GDR DJ

Intel's upcoming Core i7-2700K expected to cost more than the 2600K

For the longest of times Intel has follow a very linear pricing model with new faster models entering its price lists at the same price point as its previously fastest model. However, it seems like this is all about to change with the introduction of the Core i7-2700K which is set to launch in about a months' time, as according to information VR-Zone has been privy to, the 2700K will be pricier than the 2600K.

For the longest of times Intel has follow a very linear pricing model with new faster models entering its price lists at the same price point as its previously fastest model. However, it seems like this is all about to change with the introduction of the Core i7-2700K which is set to launch in about a months' time, as according to information VR-Zone has been privy to, the 2700K will be pricier than the 2600K.

Sadly we can't reveal the exact price point of the 2700K as it would get our source in a lot of trouble, but suffice to say, it'll not end up at the US$317 list price of the 2600K. We'd expect the actual retail price of the 2700K to end up somewhere close to US$340-350 at launch, not massive increase in price, but still an unusual move by Intel. It's possible that the company isn't ready to replace the 2600K, although if this is the case, then this will be the first time we see two K SKU CPUs in the same sub family of CPUs from Intel.

The Core i7-2700K will have a base clock of 3.5GHz, up 100MHz from the 2600K, although it's otherwise identical to the 2600K. This also means that the highest multiplier is still stuck at 57x, but we've also heard via the grapevine that the 2700K is proving to be a better overclocker than the 2600K. Intel is apparently cherry picking the best of the best of its Sandy Bridge cores for the 2700K, which helps when it comes to the overclocking potential. We shouldn't have to wait too long to find out, as Intel is expect to launch the CPU on the 24th of October.

Fudzilla seems to have found out a more accurate price point and claim that the Core i7-2700K should retail for US$331.

Source

DJ