Notch Challenges Bethesda to Quake 3 for 'Scrolls' Trademark

Artisan

Background: Mojang (Notch's Co., creators of Minecraft) is making a new game called 'Scrolls'. Bethesda is threatening to sue because of the game name, and wants Mojang to change it (even though they're willing to include a disclaimer saying the games are unrelated). Bethesda says they have a trademark on the name 'Scrolls' because of the Elder Scrolls series.

From Notch's Blog:

I am back, and I am excited.

Marriage has been wonderful so far, and nobody sabotaged my computer while I was gone.

The only negative thing going on at this moment is the Scrolls trademark lawsuit nonsense, and I think I came up with the perfect solution:

Remember that scene in Game of Thrones where Tyrion chose a trial by battle in the Eyrie? Well, let’s do that instead!

I challenge Bethesda to a game of Quake 3. Three of our best warriors against three of your best warriors. We select one level, you select the other, we randomize the order. 20 minute matches, highest total frag count per team across both levels wins.

If we win, you drop the lawsuit.

If you win, we will change the name of Scrolls to something you’re fine with.

Regardless of the outcome, we could still have a small text somewhere saying our game is not related to your game series in any way, if you wish.

I am serious, by the way.

Awesome. I hope they accept and record it. xD