My Top Crosshair Colors for CS:GO (used by the pros; Article I wrote)

Illusionist74

Hello everyone. This is an article I wrote that's pretty straightforward, but useful from time to time (or so I hope). I've included, arguably the most popular color (green) in-game alongside less popular choices such as white and even pink.

And just for fun, I've included some of their connotative associations. For example, cyan generally symbolizes peace and tranquility, but when overused, it can create feelings of coldness. A white crosshair might be viewed as neutral or a blank slate, but when overused, it can create feelings of emptiness. Furthermore, in some countries, the shade/color of white symbolizes unhappiness and/or death. Green may symbolize wealth, luck, and environmental awareness, but also greed. Just a few examples, and of course, you're welcome to use any crosshair color you want since it is just a crosshair :).

As you may already know, with a smaller crosshair, you might want to use a bright or neon color to increase its transparency. You can also use the draw outline command for that as well. Other times, people use a thin, but large crosshair to increase its transparency. So usually, I'd argue, you'd see one or two factors to increase a crosshair's transparency than going all out. Going all out would be like increasing the size, thickness, adding a draw outline, and using a bright/neon color all at once. My guess as to why people don't do this more often is that they find it too distracting. Plus some users don't like a crosshair that overlaps or extends outside the head based on its size. Just a few things to consider.

Lastly, we might use certain crosshair colors over another not just because of what we associate with it (common ground), or just because we like it (straightforward aspect), but also because it stands out (uncommon). Cyan and pink are two examples that are less common, yet still effective for some. Not only that, but you're less likely to see those colors in everyday objects compared to red, blue, yellow, and so on. So you're probably used to seeing red and green apples, but not pink or cyan ones. Furniture colors might come in darker colors such as brown, gray, and black, so they blend in with other furniture or so stains aren't as noticeable, but pink, cyan, or even yellow are less common. You'll often see red in stoplights, stop signs, and firetrucks as a way to get your attention or proceed with caution, rather than light blue or green so you won't "mellow out." So in some cases, context is key.

For some, there's also the issue of whether certain colors are "threatening" or not, regardless of how uncommon they may be. Red is often associated with blood, power, anger, and so on (not necessarily negative, however). Don't even get me started with red eyes (too many zombie/horror games for me). So even though choosing a crosshair color is a matter of personal preference, there may be underlying influences we're unaware of at times, depending on the item itself and context.

All in all, it's a matter of personal preference and we're not always influenced by the connotative aspect, but if you'd like some ideas along with brief reasons as to why you should use so and so, based on the color itself and even context to an extent, feel free to read the article (Gamersdecide). Thanks.

• Like 1