Favorite reads

JohnTV

Not nearly a bibliophile, but I read books quite frequently. I reread books as well, which some people find odd. Usually just the dense ones, though. Books, not people. I'm rather eccentric, but here are some of my absolute favorites. Can't say I could myself stand to read many of these titles in .pdf form, but they're all there nonetheless. Maybe someone might find something new to enjoy. tybb :)

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

The Trial by Franz Kafka

Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems and General Semantics by Alfred Korzybski

Uncle Silas: A Tale of Bartram-Haugh by Sheridan Le Fanu

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig

Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge – A Radical History of Plants, Drugs, and Human Evolution by Terence McKenna

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson

Finnegans Wake by James Joyce

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

the book that started everything for me was The Art of War. as a little Stoney of 17 years, i picked it up and was obsessed. it doesn't strike a chord in me like it used to, but it opened up the entire world of personal strategy and philosophy.

naturally i was forced to read the literary classics in military school, but The Heart of Darkness stood out among most of them. C.S Lewis is pretty fantastic, too.

contemporary stuff usually falls under anything by Charles Bukowski for me. he's probably the closest thing to a hero i'd ever consider having.

for giggles and fun, a few books by Kinky Friedman can be a good time.