Unstable connections making players impossible to hit

laggermcjagger

I've observed this for years,but no one gave me an explanation. If you watch some players they move across the screen in a very unnatural way which makes them impossible to hit. Even in cross hairs you can't hit them even when you pull the trigger fire at them within your crosshairs. Their ping jumps during firefights from 50-100...or more...they teleport on your screen or enter your crosshairs and even when you open up an entire clip you don't even touch them once even if they are in your crosshairs the entire time. 

For years I've observed this and only until now has someone pointed out to me the reason for it. No one has ever realized it before now or admitted to how unstable connections ruin the game. That's not to say that there aren't decent players who play at the server with an unstable connection or that there is anything they could do to prevent it from occurring. 

However, I've observed it as well as others that certain players with shit connections are very difficult to hit. 

Discuss :D 

Edited by laggermcjagger

HOW do I change my anti lag settings ; D  I have always wondered much the same.  I frequently find myself in the position of having some ones 6.  They don't even know I am there, I am just sly like that, and I proceed to unload a withering deluge of HOT lead into their back, point blank.  3 shots nothing! no hitsounds 6 shots NOTHING no hit sounds...then I will get maybe 3 hit sounds and they spin around and slay me.  This shiznik is disturbing : D!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RatSpit said:

HOW do I change my anti lag settings ; D  I have always wondered much the same.  I frequently find myself in the position of having some ones 6.  They don't even know I am there, I am just sly like that, and I proceed to unload a withering deluge of HOT lead into their back, point blank.  3 shots nothing! no hitsounds 6 shots NOTHING no hit sounds...then I will get maybe 3 hit sounds and they spin around and slay me.  This shiznik is disturbing : D!

Try  unloading bullets instead of hot lead and update us on your situation.

• Haha 1

OH!  You may be onto something there, thank you for this insightful tip ;)  Why do you think I sneak and close distance to use knife so much...my bullets are fake!  LOL!

• Haha 1
  • Surprise 1

• Platinum VIP

You don't want to disable anti-lag. It's very helpful for you in case your connection becomes unstable. Unfortunately, it's the only way to even the playing field for people with poor connections.

• Thanks 1

HOW do I make my connection poorer >8 ]  LOOL   Never mind,  I should be moved in at new house in the rural areas around end of September, only satellite and tower connections.  I shall be reborn as a Phoenix garbed in succulent lag sparkles!  Please understand my unhitability  will not be my fault ; D  Sad to lose my internet speed, VERY happy to see the stars clear, and hear farm equipment instead of sirens.

• Like 2

• Leader
6 minutes ago, RatSpit said:

... and tower connections.  

Do you mean something like Wide-Area wireless internet?  That should be better than Satellite, I think, for a gamer.  The uplink to the 'space ship'  is the problem, plus 24,000 mile geo-synchronous orbit, divided by 180,000 m/s would seem to be added to your lag.  Ooops! It is actually a 48,000 mile round-trip and then ground-travel time. :(

Investigate your options carefully before you make a choice.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

Do you mean something like Wide-Area wireless internet?  That should be better than Satellite, I think, for a gamer.  The uplink to the 'space ship'  is the problem, plus 24,000 mile geo-synchronous orbit, divided by 180,000 m/s would seem to be added to your lag.  Ooops! It is actually a 48,000 mile round-trip and then ground-travel time. :(

Investigate your options carefully before you make a choice.  

So what is the difference compared to satellite?  I greatly appreciate your expertise and advise in this matter : D

• Leader

I have not looked it up, but I believe that Internet-service satellites are in Geosynchronous orbits, like normal telecommunications ones are.  Those orbits are far out enough in space to be 'over' one spot above the earth, at about 23,000 miles / 36,000 km above the equator.

Here is a business site that compared DSL, Cable, Satellite and Fiber services https://www.business.org/services/internet/dsl-vs-cable-vs-fiber-vs-satellite/  (updated this month)    You should also do your own research. (I would put a 1-year limit on any searches and 6-months might be better...maybe even 3 months for services in your area.)

Satellite internet: Beamed to your business

For businesses in rural or remote areas without access to landline internet like DSL, cable, or fiber, satellite technology is a lifesaver.

Fast facts

• Download speeds from 1 to 25 Mbps
  • Upload speeds from 1 to 4 Mbps
  • Prices from $60 to $420 per month

Satellite internet suffers from high latency, resulting in delays between connection points.

The stations orbit Earth at distances reaching 23,000 miles away—nearly 10 times the width of the continental United States. Data taking such a massive trip simply can’t travel fast enough.  

@Xernicus  would have a greater technical understanding of th situation.  He might be able to offer advice, depending on the area that you are moving to.  (Sorry to volunteer you, Mr. X ).

It looks like I 'volunteered' Mr. Hip for an expert opinion.  See his post below.  :D

Edited by RedBaird
Hip, Hip, Hoooray!

• Platinum VIP
On 8/11/2018 at 10:12 AM, RedBaird said:

I have not looked it up, but I believe that Internet-service satellites are in Geosynchronous orbits, like normal telecommunications ones are.  Those orbits are far out enough in space to be 'over' one spot above the earth, at about 23,000 miles / 36,000 km above the equator.

Here is a business site that compared DSL, Cable, Satellite and Fiber services https://www.business.org/services/internet/dsl-vs-cable-vs-fiber-vs-satellite/  (updated this month)    You should also do your own research. (I would put a 1-year limit on any searches and 6-months might be better...maybe even 3 months for services in your area.)

@Xernicus  would have a greater technical understanding of th situation.  He might be able to offer advice, depending on the area that you are moving to.  (Sorry to volunteer you, Mr. X ).

As somebody who install satellite Internet I can tell you a few things. One the satellites themselves are in geosynchronous orbit like you said. The satellite is 23,500 miles above earth. So because of that you can expect your  latency to be somewhere in the mid 600s. This makes FPS games pretty much impossible. Also the way the dish is pointed is critically important. If the dish is off by 1/10 of an inch 10 feet from the dish, it’s off by 850 miles at the satellite and while it may still be within the beam, it’s not centered on the transponder which causes major slowdown . The third thing is atmospheric conditions. Particularly weather and it doesn’t have to be the weather or heavy cloud cover in your immediate area but between the dish and transmitting station in another part of the country, that can affect your connection 

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I feel that this is achieved also in some cases on purpose and generated to be so

Edited by Cit0
Accidental post error