From green to brown in a month

DFighter

As this year's heatwave continues, the Copernicus Sentinel-3 mission reveals once again how the colour of our vegetation has changed in just one month. These two images cover the same area: part of Ireland, the UK, the Netherlands, Belgium, part of Germany and part of France, but the difference between them couldn't be more striking. The first, captured on 28 June 2018, is predominantly green, depicting healthy vegetation. The second, captured on 25 July 2018, however, is mainly brown, showing just how much the vegetation has changed owing to the long hot dry spell Europe has been enduring over the last weeks.

These two images were captured by Sentinel-3's ocean and land colour instrument. See also similar captures over Germany, Denmark and Sweden

denmark sweden video here: http://www.esa.int/spaceinvideos/Videos/2018/07/European_drought

Source: https://earth.esa.int/web/guest/content/-/article/from-green-to-brown-in-a-month Edited by DFighter
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

My city is getting record levels of high temperature this summer and also no rain, I feel like im in a perpetual sauna.

Not to be dramatic but climate change is here. 😭

• Leader

That video looks like the normal pattern in California.  I chided @Neuro on jay1 for wishing for rain in our state, with the resulting high humidity, but then she reminded me that we need rain for all of the wildfires!  🔥 :( 🔥

@LazyHippo  I always visualize my Mexican friends as living where it is always green, even though I have not idea where such a place might be in Mexico.  

6 hours ago, LazyHippo said:

My city is getting record levels of high temperature this summer and also no rain, I feel like im in a perpetual sauna.

Not to be dramatic but climate change is here. 😭

Yep in my city too. I don't like this outdoor sauna.

• Surprise 1

21 hours ago, RedBaird said:

That video looks like the normal pattern in California.  I chided @Neuro on jay1 for wishing for rain in our state, with the resulting high humidity, but then she reminded me that we need rain for all of the wildfires!  🔥 :( 🔥

@LazyHippo  I always visualize my Mexican friends as living where it is always green, even though I have not idea where such a place might be in Mexico.  

We have Green on 70% of our country more a less being north obviously the driest, but we having some drought lately.

Im on the Yucatán Peninsula, we havent seen rain till yesterday after 2 months of clear skies and sun on its zenith.

This placid and sunny days on Caribbean always alarms the hurricane hunters because its the calm before the storm. 

11 hours ago, sirdutch said:

the weather is awfull now, especially for farmers

Indeed we expected lots of rain here too and very few

17 hours ago, zakrzeW said:

Yep in my city too. I don't like this outdoor sauna.

I had an exposition because of some duty and even with the sunscreen lotion I had some sunburn :P 

• Like 1