Strength and Conditioning

Old Timer

wish i could get back into  exercise . i loved tae kwan do . 3 hrs aday every day.

and running.. used to run 4 miles a day..

now i just smoke alot of cigs and wish i didnt .lol

my favorite thing for working out was .. one push up flip one sit up doo this till u can reach 400. its a blast. so u would  start with one and keep going .  like 2 push ups flip two sit up .. flip 3 push ups flip 3 sit ups. but best was going to the bar and kicksin some ones ass i havent don that in 15 yrs .lol

@GoogalaJones To start out I would recommend just the basics to get started. Dumbbells are always good to work with. Upper body one day. Lower body another day. Core work every day. Keep the volume high and work on speed under control. I follow Joe DeFranco and Smashwerx on youtube. DeFranco is awesome for strength and conditioning. Smashwerx is Dr. Trevor Bachmeyer. He gives free tips on any kind of joint or muscle issues athletes run into. I've always trained Westside for powerlifting. Just like meal prep, always change your training every week or two. Don't let your body adapt. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2018 at 5:36 AM, Old Timer said:

@Sonofdoc What position do you play? I train a few local high school athletes for their respective sports. I'd love to trade ideas. Always looking for ways to improve my product. 

I play Safety and Wide Reciver, was thinking about moving to Corner tho

4 hours ago, Sonofdoc said:

I play Safety and Wide Reciver, was thinking about moving to Corner tho

do they still make u do up downs or burpies till u puke ..lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, captnconcrete said:

do they still make u do up downs or burpies till u puke ..lol

100%.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/14/2018 at 4:32 PM, CheepHeep said:

I eat burgers. Is that classed as weight training? Oh thats gaining :(

In the weight lifting world that's called "bulking", very appropriate

On 7/14/2018 at 4:36 PM, Old Timer said:

@rambozo37 @HZOP That's awesome guys. Love to see others with a passion for living healthy. @CheepHeep Lol, Nothing like a good cheeseburger brother. I think I might go have one right now. Just bought six lbs of ground beef for the week. Time to make some burgers.

I have been steadily trying to get into better shape, undo some of the damage I've done to myself. I follow a few physical therapists on instagram and have been trying to fix my posture and some back pain following their advice. It turns out that I had 0 mobility in my left shoulder. It was just frozen in the position I drive in (very similar to how I sit when I play ET). It took a little while to figure out but once I started pushing it around I unlocked something in my back and neck. AGONY! For a week or two. 

Now I feel like a new man. My neck isn't stiff my back is better than when I was in my teens. I feel like I'm unraveling or unfolding. I actually stand taller, all of my lift PRs have started going up, easily, and I look better than ever. Almost literally just from stretching. I honestly never knew about things like scapular positioning or lat engagement. It sounds stupid but this stuff has changed my life

I try to do this at least a couple times a week: I feel like it counteracts all the sitting and slouching I do at a desk. Don't even use a band: just put your hands up. It just hurts so right

I really enjoy these guys. They're silly and always giving me useful info

I figured I'd mention to OT that I have also been modified keto/paleo for the last 5 years or so. I have been serious about low sugar for a long time but I found leaning higher fat really made a difference. It seems to help me stay off the carb rollercoaster most of us have been on and lets me maintain consistency effortlessly. 

• Like 1

Typical week right now is 30km running in two or three sessions, 1-2x taekwondo sessions, 1x bjj (brazilian jiu jitsu) session, 1-2 crossfit or weigthliftning sessions. Flexibility and stretch 2-3 times a week. I'm 46, has always done some type of sports, and latest is 10 years of cycling, both road, tt and mtb. The cycling left me very stiff and due to too much instense distance training I got heart arrhythmia which had to be treated surgically a couple of years ago. Now I focus on maintaining a healthy body that will last as along as possible.

• Like 1