Windows Thinking of my Future PC Build

DevilHunter

1 hour ago, DevilHunter said:

Welp, I know i7's are outdated by now, but it fits my budget. i9's are too much. At least on PCPartPicker. Not sure if there is anything cheaper on there. Anyhow, are games still being installed by Blu-Ray? That's the only reason why I want it, otherwise, I can settle with just a DVD/CD Drive. As I stated before, I still have some old games on Disk that I would like to install and Stream. 

Also, I may be going with an AMD Build now. Seems cheaper then Intel/NVidia. But I still want to know if its even worth it nowadays to even have a Blu-Ray Player. I'm still playing around with my options so I will post the Build later. 

Even an i7 is almost certainly overkill if all you're doing is gaming and streaming. You should be able to play and stream any game you want with an i5-8600k. Games are mostly downloaded online - a lot of cases don't even have a spot for optical drives anymore. I haven't had a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive in my PC for years, I just download everything from Steam.

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

I imagine some games are still installed by DVD, but most of the games these daysare downloaded

Eh well, I got rid of the BD Drive and decided on just a normal DVD/CD Drive.  Also, went with 2 monitors... Though I bet you guys will recommend better ones. Remember, I still have a Budget to keep. Anyhow, here is what I have now. I ditched the Intel/Nvidia route for now. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor  ($319.79 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($143.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($167.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Green  120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($45.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR MK2 OC Video Card  ($274.00 @ B&H) 
Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM  120mm Fans  ($25.99 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Sceptre - E205W-1600 20.0" 1600x900 60Hz Monitor  ($66.49 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: LG - 25UM58-P 25.0" 2560x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($156.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1386.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-20 05:35 EDT-0400

So yea.. I hope this is good enough. Been reading on some Completed Builds with similer hardware. One guy said that he can stream just fine while playing games, others say that some games you have to turn some of the settings down. If only I had a bit more budget, I could go Crossfire, which I assume is the same thing as SLI. 

With only 20.- more you get 2x capacity with 2x performance! https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4mkj4D/crucial-mx500-250gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct250mx500ssd1

In my eyes it´s waste of money to buy those noname SSD-s(Kingston A400, WD Green etc) which doesn´t have no tech specs, no reviews...

About memory, check here for OC capable memory: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470 Master SLIac/index.asp#Memory

AMD is a tad picky at moment still... At least the kit you chose seems wrong, as it´s specified to work best with Intel CPU-s.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WP4L3D7/ref=psdc_172500_t2_B015FY3BJ2

https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-new-specifications-for-amd-ryzen™-2000-series-processors-and-x470-platform

Alright, well I am having a hard time trying to pick the right ram, now that you said all that. So... 3600mhz is the top for Trident Z RGB.. Should I get that? and if you are gonna recommend any parts, point it to PartPicker, unless its not listed there and/or cheaper. Still trying to keep a budget.. And every bit of it counts atm. 

Also Noob question. Is the Speed the same as MHz? I have been out of the PC Part game in a long time, so I am still learning here all the new stuff. 

It seems there´s still a difference in PC performance with higher RAM speeds with Ryzen+ (r7 2700x). But I don´t think it´s worth the extra money between 3000MHz kit and 3600MHz kit. If you get good kit it´s probable to OC to 3200\3400Mhz if you are lucky. But with 3600Mhz the gains might be there but they might not work with your mobo and be waste of your money.

Posted wrong ones, these should be correct: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XZc48d/gskill-trident-z-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-2933-memory-f4-2933c14d-16gtzrx

and they are expensive.

Those are in your mobo´s QVL list: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sLrcCJ/gskill-memory-f43200c16q16grk

but Ripjaws come with 4 module kit and I doubt there´s any OC room...

Just putting it here, a good review:

Sorry for not responding. Work got in the way. That and some other stuff. Anyhow, I did some tweaking again. And well, I was split between the Intel build and AMD. I decided I am going with the AMD Build. Everyone has different opinions like... Intel is better but eh. Anyhow, here is what I have now..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor  ($319.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($140.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR MK2 OC Video Card  ($274.00 @ B&H)
Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($76.95 @ B&H)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.59 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM  120mm Fans  ($25.99 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Sceptre - E225W-1920 22.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($84.99 @ Walmart)
Monitor: LG - 25UM58-P 25.0" 2560x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($149.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1426.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-28 09:08 EDT-0400

I plan on getting the Mouse, Keyboard, and possibly Speakers. Not sure if I will need them, since I do live in an Apt, so I doubt I will get them loud enough anyhow. Also, wanting to get an El Gato, since I still have my PS3, and PS4. (no Xbox, I'm sure someone will yell at me for that heh) But yea, this should be good. I can always upgrade later. It's just money is really the issue.

Edited by DevilHunter
Forgot a bit of info

Where is windows 10 ?

You need an optical drive ?

You need both  a SSD and an internal hard drive  ? (i bought only a 256 SSD .... i didnt see the need for more)

Gengis

Edited by Gengis

I figured out that I can just download windows 10 to a USB flash drive and get a key for cheap. Yeah I need both SSD and hard drive. Hard drive for strorge and SSD for the OS. Optical drive for the older games I have. I plan on making isos out of them since it seems every CD drive I had in the past they always tend to bug out like the one on my laptop. 

• Like 1

Optical drives have a long life expectancy but it´s still short compared to the human life: for CD\DVDs it´s 10-25y depending if it´s burnt or pressed etc.

Some say win10 can be DL for free still, though I don´t care how. Will stick with my win8.1 as long as possible. At least I don´t have any scaling problems with ET...

Edited by Vanaraud

Windows 10 now comes in a USB drive not a DVD (that is the way i bought it).

Downloading it from internet or buying a USB drive is the same ($ 139 US for the home edition).

Gengis

Edited by Gengis

@Vanaraud 

Windows 8.1 and 7

Prior releases of the Windows operating system are governed by the Fixed Lifecycle Policy. This policy comprises two phases: mainstream support and extended support. See Microsoft Fixed Policy Details for more details. 

Client operating systems End of mainstream support End of extended support
Windows 8.1 January 9, 2018 January 10, 2023
Windows 7, service pack 1* January 13, 2015 January 14, 2020 
* Support for Windows 7 RTM without service packs ended on April 9, 2013. Be sure to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to continue to receive support and updates.

Gengis

Looks good to me. I've seen 2700x's going for 299.99 (the MSRP) on Amazon, you might get it from there. 3200MHz memory is a good choice, I've heard that 3200MHz kits overclocked to 3466 is the sweet spot for infinity fabric. 3600 can have XMP issues or instability. Timings on the Vengeance modules look a little loose, but those can probably be tightened up in memory OC or simply left as-is.

• 2 months later...

when i was on a tight budget many moons ago, I would build a system with good key parts and the bare minimum on others. The motherboard is the hardest thing to swap on a pc since everything connects to it. Still not hard but harder than a ram upgrade. So back when this was an issue I got a case I was happy with, a nice motherboard, and an OK CPU and RAM, graphics card, etc. Graphics cards are always improving each generation with new features, but 8 year old CPUs are still kicking butt. My older system is on a six-core CPU running at 4.3 ghz with room to go higher, and the system can handle 48gb easily, up to 96gb of ram. I probably built this in 2009 or 2010. But Intel keeps changing sockets now to make it harder for people to do what I did too. AMD doesn't change them as often thankfully.

There will always be a part or piece where if you just spent $20 more it would be 'so muuuch better', but you have to be able to live with the financial burden afterwards too.

Also if you get a cheap drive-only blu-ray drive, you wont be able to just plug it in and play movies. You have to have software to play them, which you can do for free but it is a pain in the behind if you aren't good at tweaking things.

What are your goals? Are you opposed to getting some used parts for a lot less money? Shop around too, pc part picker doesn't always find the cheapest - that CPU brand new on ebay is 290$, saves you $30 right there. Free shipping is your friend, all of those prices don't include shipping costs by the way. Buying from several vendors will cost more in shipping than buying from a couple, and some offer free shipping if you jump through hoops or use coupons. Black Friday/cyber monday week is always a great time to buy. Oh and Nvidia and Intel are dropping new products so this generation will get cheaper.

Just my .02 cookies worth

• Like 1

Well, I already posted in teh OP what I wanted to do, which is to get back into the PC Gaming Scene and Stream on Twitch on the side. I already bought the parts, since teh $$$ came in, just have to wait till it gets here. I had a make a few adjustments simply because of some things not being on Amazon, and some of the listed items were only on sites like Wal-Mart and such. If I get around to it, I will update the list I have on PCPartPicker. 

So I hope it all goes well, and everything works. I also hope I can get a W10 Key soon.