Refinery: A short TJ film

Achilles90

Howdy all!

Achilles is back with a new adventure: Refinery.

Currently my favorite map to run. 

To lay my cards on the table fully: under no circumstances can I run the allies (hard) side of this map. I'm simply not good enough :(

However: axis is made out of jumps from original et frag maps as well as some awesome custom jumps thrown in. Maps like this tickle my map making brain because it "looks" like a regular map but it's actually a big tj puzzle :D

In order the jumps seem to go radar, battery, tc base, fuel dump, fuel dump, and goldrush. Lots of great jumps to practice and enjoy. It's also the case that I can consistently run this map in under 10 mins so rather than a grueling hour out of your life it can be a fun little exercise. In order to film this I ran this map a positively obscene amount of times and I really still do love it. I went out of my way to show off the complexity of this map and do every jump the hardest way I could. All of these jumps have easier ways that wont take hours of your time and better yet if you run it with someone else or on your own you can noclip, teleport, or portal gun yourself around and skip the stuff you don't like!

I picked a funny old timey song from the artist ProleteR. Maybe it's not for you but I thought it really fit.

Things incoming, links will be provided:

ETJump Download

Map download

Running ETJump tutorial

Edited by Achilles90
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • 100 1

Very nice Achilles! Great editing and good choice of music. A fun video to watch and it makes me want to go tj now. Btw, you should have use the knife it goes faster u noob ;) 

• Like 2

Hey Mr. @daredevil did I hear we have an FA youtube channel?

You are welcome to put this up there!

and @w1cx I think they equalized speeds in this mod for all weapons so usually I run with the 1911. Some people jump with the flamethrower and shoot it every bounce XP

Edited by Achilles90
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Achilles90 said:

Hey Mr. @daredevil did I hear we have an FA youtube channel?

You are welcome to put this up there!

and @w1cx I think they equalized speeds in this mod for all weapons so usually I run with the 1911. Some people jump with the flamethrower and shoot it every bounce XP

I was kidding mate! 

• Like 1

Just now, w1cx said:

I was kidding mate! 

XP

I had intended to mention the process involved with making this and you're involved in film production right?

I gained the profoundest respect for the work involved. I had no idea how hard this was going to be in any capacity. Very interesting.

I made tons of mistakes but just the amount of editing required to get a 3 minute video blew me away. I have at least an hour of recorded and rendered footage that was discarded in the process for a million different reasons. Wild. I stopped counting after 600 gb and 150,000 frames. 

I described the experience of making this to my wife as "really fun torture"

I'll leave it to everyone to guess which one

One of the jumps in this video I have only ever gotten twice. I spent a total of 3 hours getting that jump the second time, on demo, for this video XD

A couple days later I watched one of the 999 guys get it his second try......

He ran the map faster than that video :(

• Like 2

Loved the atmosphere in the video, great one! I’d love to see more and this makes me also want to do some tj :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Everything about this is great. Is this your first venture at creating a video in ET? I agree with lehm, loved the ambiance with the music and some of the B-roll.

• Like 1

Maybe I'll go back and upload clips of some of the variations, 

Most of the very long jumps have easier ways

The jump around 0:55 is taken directly from fuel dump

but true to HeX form: they can't leave anything easy

so they replaced the door with a little wooden peg. 

That jump is all about control and technique.

Landing on the peg is hard enough but you also need a good snap to generate speed coming off it

Too much speed and you wont bounce up towards the sign

If you are past is and trying to jump off the curb onto the statue: that jump makes me want to cut my hands off.

It feels like pure lotto for me and I usually just skip it and jump right onto the roof tops

2 hours ago, emaL said:

Wow! Everything about this is great. Is this your first venture at creating a video in ET? I agree with lehm, loved the ambiance with the music and some of the B-roll.

First time! I've cobbled together some clips before but this was the first time I tried to have some sort of vision of what I wanted to create

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it, it was lots of fun to make.

Naturally, if anyone is in the mood just @ me in discord if I'm online. I'm always excited to run some maps

It's also always more fun to have a dozen people trying to run it at the same time. Or better yet, race :D

• Like 3