Oasis remake

Smileyyy

The bottleneck right after the old city wall isn't so bad that it can't be overcome in 12v12 or something. The big downside is that axis spawns on one end plus 5 meters, and allies on the other hand plus 150 meters. The flux of players on the attacking side is too low so it becomes a bottleneck for allies unless their firepower heavily outweighs axis'.

Suggested solution: Upon destroying city wall, enable a spawnpoint near the pond (but keep the old city, for people to go through tunnel if they choose)

Alternatively: allow for another pathway other than tunnel/pond main attack route, i.e. if instead of going straight towards axis' spawn you can introduce a more open field battle on the west side of the map. To clarify, that would mean that map-wise you 'flat down' the hills surrounding this bottleneck building on one side so that it becomes a passage. I'd make this very wide, with a few desert rocks for cover at best.

/e Allies gets swooped away by an artillery in 1st map phase, when thrown right in front of the allies command post. Maybe it's helpful if an indoor pathway from allies CP is connected to that little straight hallway that leads all the way to the roof of the flag, it would give axis rambo medics something to do other than patrol the zone below allies CP 😛

Edited by Flible
  • Like 3

I think there should be steps around the other side of the guns (towards the road where the tank comes from) leading up to the ledges by the guns.  They would need to be protected by an axis door to not make it too easy, which undercover covies could open - good for teamwork

Edited by Chuckun
  • Like 2

• Leader

I think that the possibility of blowing up the door of the tunnel would be simpler.

That allows allies to play on two fronts rather quickly

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

Another idea: How about axis' last spawnpoint is split between the current spawnpoint and the bed area above the inside arch shown below in blue. Also it could be possible to extend the main exit along the northern ledge like shown in red giving maybe 2 additional exits.

45472_2.jpg.1cae1b744887a33c2906bd68354f60bf.jpg

• Like 1

Also tried to show the changes in the command map.
The whole red box would be removed.

This will result in significant shorter distances for the attacking team. With unchanged spawntimes, this means that the attacking team receives a constant wave of new soldiers, because the time spent running to the battlefield is reduced in favour of time fighting on the battlefield.

Not changing the actual position of any spawns means that all original routes remain viable choices. Moving the attacker spawn forward, means that the player either has to run backwards to the tunnel or the spawnwave is split into two groups. Basically, you have to decide which attacking route you want to choose *before* you spawn. If you want to change your route after a very short respawn time where you haven't had the chance to change the spawnpoint, you will have to run the distance again. That is why I'm not a fan of moving spawns around too much. Plus, each additional spawn means additional entities, which is not improving performance.

If you look at proper competitive maps, then most of them have not more than 3 attack routes, because it makes it too hard to defend otherwise. It's not fun if you can't calculate the probability of when and where attackers pop up. Good defenders know when to start ticking the nade so it lands perfectly on the approaching enemy team. With too many routes (aka turning the map into swiss cheese) there is no way of saying where people will come from. In the command map you see marked in blue the original attack points. You notice that they are on one level. Once the attacker pushed past the blue line they are "in". I'm not a fan of routes that just put you into the back of the defender, when there originally clearly was an intended line of defense. It undermines all level design decisions.

oasis_cc.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scarface06 said:

I think that the possibility of blowing up the door of the tunnel would be simpler.

That allows allies to play on two fronts rather quickly

That's equal to killing the need for a covert ops as well as skipping the entire first phase of the map. I'm against this.

• Like 1

Why would it kill the covert ops? There are still both team-doors. The upper and the lower one. The upper one actually is blocking regular walljumpers from just proceeding.
In the original the upper teamdoor was just blocking the guardhouse, but people jumping over the wall were not blocked by it.

Can't edit my prrvious post, but I think I misunderstood you. You were talking about the door in the underground tunnel system in oasis SW, right?

I've had a quick chat with @Smileyyy on Discord yesterday. The approach of implementing new routes was preferred in comparison to shortening the existing routes. Partly because the perceived changes are too drastic and partly because the workload would be too broad otherwise. After all, this approach would require a new command map, an overhauled structural mesh and for example completely new fireteam locations to be set.

However, I have found an old model for the tunnel system I made years ago when I had plans for a new oasis version. Since the model is of no use for anyone, if it's just collecting dust in my mapping directory, I have sent it to Smiley. This tunnel model includes a  connection between the two separate sections. However, to properly (and realistically) implement this into the map, we talked about a few things that could be tested.

I'm looking forward to the results Smiley comes up with. It definitely sounds like he is very motivated and has great plans.

I haven't actively played competitively in months, but if you still need another person for testing, I guess I could try to give feedback around level design and leave gameplay feedback to the active playerbase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Not nearly done but giving a little update on what I've done. Feel free to give your opinions. Don't look at the bad textures/lightning, haven't worked on the visuals yet.

So just like in SW Oasis, the tunnel is more connected now. Therefore we only have 1 pump which is placed more in the middle of the first stage.

2018-06-21-173418-fa_oasis_a1.thumb.jpg.e06a2a9a8afae755a098bb7a67a7197a.jpg

Added a forward spawn for allies when wall gets breached, u can still use the original spawnpoint to get to the tunnels easier. Also added another entrance to upper main(?)

2018-06-21-173429-fa_oasis_a1.thumb.jpg.3454a0f1aa66f7085aaea9e0280d72fd.jpg

The inside has also changed a lot. Way more exits (total of 4) for the allies to push out now, and also added cabinets for health and ammo.

2018-06-21-173445-fa_oasis_a1.thumb.jpg.03e4e2de735667de2bb4a5c1ef878d52.jpg

2018-06-21-173527-fa_oasis_a1.thumb.jpg.1fcbd004bbf8b1511cd1a7c2b42f6461.jpg

Edited by Smileyyy
  • Like 4

Part 2, not enough upload space.

Exists from the other side.

2018-06-21-173517-fa_oasis_a1.thumb.jpg.1ef290fdc0eb4e93d23042824fea1880.jpg2018-06-21-173513-fa_oasis_a1.thumb.jpg.6d79a8d5d08e111eacab99af9e99bfc3.jpg

Turret area changed, allies can jump up from the other side now. (Will make it possible for single jump aswell)

2018-06-21-173545-fa_oasis_a1.thumb.jpg.cd05388815dd5c5ee17727141b71bb0c.jpg

• Like 4

it seems like a beginning of a good job :yahoo

it would be necessary to erect a statue of "Smiley" in the center of the square of the 2 objectives

:allrock:

• Haha 1

So maybe you can put Another way in the 2nd tunnel, So you make 3 point where you can go to the axis side, but camping in the tunnel would be harder because they split up richt after the beginning. (Tunnel after allies captured the old city you know?)

You can let it go to the backyard so there are also 3 different spots allies will come for attack

• Like 1

Add a Command Post near the caves exit area to axis last spawn past the switch door, just next to it and enable it as a spawn point for both teams, or maybe use a flag instead?

May give a more interesting option for both teams, allies would have another option to attack and if axis get to it they may retain caves easier.

Also covies should be used a lot more now :D

P.S: Great job bro, keep up the good work!

I actually like all the new maps you have released.

• Like 2

But for what I see right now (missed that post :o ) I realy like what you've done with it!! Maybe on the inside a window in it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wanheda said:

But for what I see right now (missed that post :o ) I realy like what you've done with it!! Maybe on the inside a window in it?

Where exactly? :)