Oasis remake

Smileyyy

Ok boys and girls.

So next map I have in mind of re-doing is oasis. Although it's a very good map, it clearly has it issues with a large player amount.

Rooms get blocky, tunnel gets blocky, AT guns are almost impossible to destroy, just an overall mediocre expierence for allied players.

So if u guys have any suggestions that you would like to see in our remake for it, just go ahead. Just throw anything here. This way we can have a proper discussion about it.

Let's make the best Oasis ET has ever seen! :P 

• 100 1

You know that little courtyard with the tiny pond right after the old city wall? The building after that, which has a low hallway and a high hallway is such a bad chokepoint for allies. with 18 second axis spawntimes, they just camp that area (and the part directly after it, near the arch) like crazy and allies have troubles getting past. 

Not sure what to do with it, but Im thinking that needs the main fix. Maybe add another cave that goes into the alleyway behind axis spawn? So allies have 3 ways of getting through. Not sure.

• Like 3

Just now, emaL said:

You know that little courtyard with the tiny pond right after the old city wall? The building after that, which has a low hallway and a high hallway is such a bad chokepoint for allies. with 18 second axis spawntimes, they just camp that area (and the part directly after it, near the arch) like crazy and allies have troubles getting past.

Not sure what to do with it, but Im thinking that needs the main fix. Maybe add another cave that goes into the alleyway behind axis spawn? So allies have 3 ways of getting through. Not sure.

Yes figured that, if anyone has some suggestions for it feel free. I'll also try some stuff.

• Like 1

Honestly, the part that Emal suggested is the only part that makes it a tough match for allies. If that is remedied, the rest of the match should be evened out. Although on Jay1 for example, the spawn times are a lot shorter so as you already stated, the guns would be tough to destroy. Hmm maybe just connect the two guns with a bridge but have the bridge enclosed in a room. Let it have a window with, yes you guessed it, an MG hahaha. I'll tell you more on discord but thats just my initial thought. 

• Like 1

Just now, CheepHeep said:

Honestly, the part that Emal suggested is the only part that makes it a tough match for allies. If that is remedied, the rest of the match should be evened out. Although on Jay1 for example, the spawn times are a lot shorter so as you already stated, the guns would be tough to destroy. Hmm maybe just connect the two guns with a bridge but have the bridge enclosed in a room. Let it have a window with, yes you guessed it, an MG hahaha. I'll tell you more on discord but thats just my initial thought.

I'll start working on it daily, starting tommorow. I'll fix my tunnel issue which will probably take the longest of all lol. But good point about the guns, SW oasis has this aswell.

• Like 1

Maybe the tunnel system could be expanded?

Put a room outside the battlefield where allies and axis are separated by a see through barrier, but no dmg can be given (or no barrier, take away all weapon there if possible) and you could enter into and out from this room by a teleport?

Could also add waterslide at allies spawn 1 (or also somewhere at axis territory)?

If AT guns are too hard to reach add jump pads around the guns on the ground that makes you jump up to the gun? (maybe only allies could use this)?

In that little tunnel forward from the Old City Wall add mirror, so you could see the enemy there?

+other if I can make up other excellent ideas :D

idk how much of these ideas are useful, just added whatever came to my mind :P

• Confused 1
  • Surprise 1

I think there could be an underground passage beetween tunnels that lead to the AT guns so it doesnt get too crowded in those tunnels and allies can go to the other side if the axis are camping one of the sides too much

Edited by Lettuce
Repeated the word tunnel too much lol
  • Like 2

• Platinum VIP

you could make a balcony at the top exit (on axis side) making it harder to arty and harder to access from axis side

• 100 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Dest!Ny said:

you could make a balcony at the top exit (on axis side) making it harder to arty and harder to access from axis side

U mean linking 3rd opening? and going straight to tank? 

• Platinum VIP
2 minutes ago, daredevil said:

U mean linking 3rd opening? and going straight to tank? 

I mean the existing exit, the top one. An additional exit could still be possible but giving allies easier control over the top area (as well from arty/mortar) would coincidentally give allies more control on the outside area giving them the chance to at least circle around the fortress

Basically remove every little last bit out of the map so that they ceases to exist.

I dont have anything to suggest,hopefully you end up with a playable map.

• Like 2

I already had some thoughts about Oasis, since for Legacy at some point we are going to overhaul all maps like we did with Frostbite, Bergen and Radar. The latter two haven't been released yet.

I'm happy to share my thoughts on a few layout changes, since that already provides some gameplay feedback for me if you choose to implement it :D

In my opinion the biggest downside of Oasis is the long distance between the Old City and the objectives, so I thought about way to shorten that.

I'm not a big fan of the CP in the small corridor between Old City and Garrison that some map scripts have added, since that puts the spawn into a very narrow place and also shuts down the tunnel and lower corridor route, which gives the defending team too much power in shutting down the spawn exit.

My thoughts then were to move the entire last stage of the map closer to the Old City. I have attached 2 layout overviews and 3 shots in this imgur album, where I quickly moved the respective sections around, so it's more understandable what I propose.

The existing upper teamdoor in the guardhouse can be removed to allow both teams to access that balcony. Allies already can with trickjumps anyway. The teamdoor is now moved to the upper corridor.

The oasis wall is replaced with the wooden gate from the lower corridor. Having the doors this way completely prevents walljumping over the still standing oasis wall.

There needs to be a staircase somewhere allowing access to the upper balcony though. It should be placed so that respawning Allies can easily choose to use the upper corridor when leaving the Old City, so I would suggest placing it on the left of the existing guardhouse. Inbetween guardhouse and old city wall.

Since the whole last section is moved closer, the tunnel is also shortened.

Overall the distance is not shortened too much, but I think it still makes a significant gameplay improvement, since the Allies are faster at the battlefield without making the whole map a swiss cheese, like Goldrush GA, etc.

There is no need for more than 3 attack routes, just for shorter attack routes.

Let me know what you think.

Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/whWq3Jd

• Like 2
  • 100 1