Posted (edited)

servers2.PNG.4493d2fbf16cb2371f369fe1c65bf565.PNG

servers1.PNG.6d3c002c87d85909a8923d545880ed2b.PNG

Here is a copy of all the servers we host.  you will see that some of them are close to number one on the games list and some are not.  I suggest that we close those servers that are far down the list to save money for those which are closer to number 1.  i suggest fa beginners (587),  killhouse(938),beginners(466).  Are there any others that arent played much that we could drop even though they are a good map closer to the number 1 server???  I suggest this because just think if you were the owner of all these servers and your personal responsibility for paying for this was over $5400.  That would be scarey for me to think that i had to pay it no matter if we the members didnt.  so lets choose the most important to us and cut that bill down some.  Just a suggestion and please be verbose in your discussion and opinions.

Edited by Kooki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kooki,

We rent machine altogether - so it's not killing the resources. I am in the process of re-negotiating our current machine prices. Either I can try to lower the price or add some hardware in it so once new insurgency comes out - we can host couple of servers ofr it. 

The only servers hosted with 3rd party host are - Jay1 and HC from ET game. Rest, we self host. COD4 and ET doesn't take up much resources like INS/DOI/CSGO/TF2. All source games are CPU/IO bound. RAM we got plenty. Euro machine has 2 SSD - so I can push some IO intensive games on it. I am trying to get SSD on US machine as well. 

Our current US machine is few years old, so I am about to dump that and get new one. But then trying to see where it fits in the bills and if not dump able, then at least we can get SSD on it to push some more games. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cool. I use ssd in my machine.  I have a 1T and a back up as 500G.  I like those ssd s for speed but they dont seem to last as long as the standard hd. l suspect as they are around more they will get better.

But, if we have machines or games that arent living up to expectations then what would it hurt to dump those games for more used ones and cut down on servers?  Just curious,,, it seems i dont totally understand the use of servers.  I thought a server was a stand alone machine dedicated to one game only.  I imagine that there would need many tphone lines into it for the many players using it.  Would i be wrong to say gametrackers host the games for us or what?

Ive been searching for a site that will give useage on the sites to help decide if they are worth keeping or not... still havent found them yet.

Edited by Kooki

SSD's are more reliable now a days but some just die off. Only major issue with SSD is - if it dies no way to recover data other in any way or shape. 

Cutting down on servers, will do no good because you will still have empty resources. It's like I am renting your PC. Now i can run 4 servers on it or i can add another 20 more and make CPU usage go in 80% so no server lags but still make use of full machine by running 24 servers. 

Nop servers are not stand alone machine to one game only. On US Server - We run ET / INS / DOI  / COD4 / TF2. Same goes for Euro server. Website is on another box as our DB size is more then 1.4GB by now. 

For ET - jay1 and ET - hardcore - we use gameservers.com renting i.e. we run some space on that machine and not full machine. I am debating hard to move HC to US Box to save that money. That would save us some money but IP changes have been disaster in past, so in dilemma. 

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Cant you have the original ip stay the same for a short time and let it key the new ip until such time that everyone gets the new ip and then drop the old ip?  I dunno.

IP is DNS based so no, that is not really possible if you switch on which DNS the server runs. You can still use the same Redirect with hc.clan-fa.com etc if you set it up like that.

Maybe its possible to open up the new servers and let the original hc and jay1 IP be a dedicated redirect towards the new IPs for 2 weeks before fully closing them down?

Correct me if Im wrong on ajy of this

What i do with my ssd's is to have 2 installed, then i use a program called acronis true image to make a clone of the drive.  If the original goes south.. then the clone drive has to be physically moved to the ""C" position and possibly renamed or chanced in bios but all the data is still there.  Lately ive been using the cloud to backup everything but im leary of that because some day somone will hack into the cloud and everything will be screwed.  After the cloned drive is moved then a new ssd could be installed and the process started all over again, keeping a fresh drive ready.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 11:48 AM, Dest!Ny said:

IP is DNS based so no, that is not really possible if you switch on which DNS the server runs. You can still use the same Redirect with hc.clan-fa.com etc if you set it up like that.

Maybe its possible to open up the new servers and let the original hc and jay1 IP be a dedicated redirect towards the new IPs for 2 weeks before fully closing them down?

Correct me if Im wrong on ajy of this

Yes we use DNS but lot's of people have stored IP in their 3rd party tools for direct connection and hence we loose some player base. With new security patch - re-direct will not work. Worst case scenario, I will move HC to US machine to save some money. Only downside is if machine goes down, lot's of server go down and hence I don't prefer to put all eggs in one basked. 

On 6/11/2018 at 8:29 AM, Kooki said:

Cant you have the original ip stay the same for a short time and let it key the new ip until such time that everyone gets the new ip and then drop the old ip?  I dunno.

Yes 100% possible but eventually, I avoid to keep all eggs in same basket. Eventually, to save $$ we have to do it. Let's see. I will it some time, if other players and regulars who never have donated, picks up some donation, it's good or I would initiate the migration.