Windows Can hardware be interchanged between these laptops?

Flible

I've been given a free lappy because mine's been failing, but the specs are quite a bit lower.

Current laptop: ASUS k55vd
i7 3610QM ~2.3GHz
6gb RAM
Graphics: Intel HD graphics 4000 (NVIDIA GeForce 610M 2Gb present but I never bothered installing the driver)

HD: ST9750420AS

'New' laptop: Lenovo G50-30
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 (2 CPUs) ~2.2GHz
4gb RAM
Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics (number not specified in dxdiag)

HD: KINGSTON SV300S37A120G

Clearly the new one has a few downs despite it being a few years younger than my current laptop, but I was wondering if it's able to install my asus' processor and/or RAM into the Lenovo? Best of both worlds!
I'm not looking to purchase new things, it's not in my budget :)

Edited by Flible

Nope. The processors can't be swapped because they're different sockets and the N2840 requires DDR3L RAM, which the old laptop is very unlikely to have. You might consider swapping the SSD in the new laptop for the HDD in the old laptop, depending on how much storage you need ... 120 GB is not much.

Edited by TurtleMan
  • Like 1

Yeah, the forum where I originally posted said the same thing about the processors. Which is sad, because i7 is kind of nice even to this day.

Some lad mentioned that the RAMs are interchangeable if I tweaked the bios, but we both came to the conclusion that the gain would be so small that it's not worth the hassle. Clearly the lenovo's OS doesn't eat up as much so the gain would be less than 2gb.

Wouldn't say that the OS uses less, but rather the integrated graphics asks for less shared memory. This could be good or bad depending on what the workflow for the machine is.

Looks like the Lenovo has a soldered on processor so throwing a higher end processor in that machine isn't an option either.

Here's what could be done though:
Figure out what's going on with the ASUS, and get that fixed up
Use the Lenovo for other lighter uses or sell it to have some pocket change.

That Seagate model rings a bell w/me though. I think I've seen repeat failures of those in 750GB and 1TB SKUs. The design was iffy from the get go- two platters in a slim notebook hard drive is asking for trouble.
I'll have to go through my records. EDIT: 1TB was a failure trend I was tracking on HGST drives. Though looks like I've seen around 13 of the Momentus 7200.4 and 7200.5 drives in for recovery during the past 6 months. Too lazy to keep going back, but from what I've seen they seem to have a specific issue with the platters. This may or may not be related, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Edited by Xernicus
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...