Mouse and keyboard stop responding.

w1cx

Hi guys, 

I have a problem with my game. My wired mouse and wireless keyboard stop responding. My game doesn't freeze and my "character" keeps going forward or on the side. I also hear strange noises through my speakers, like statics noises. I have to restart my computer by pressing the power button and it restarts just fine. 

Anybody has a hint of what could cause this and how can it be fixed?

Thanks maaaan!

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.16299 Build  16299 ?
HP Z620 Workstation
x64-based PC
Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
24 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Mouse is a Logitech G5 and keyboard is Logitech MK320

Does it freeze at any other time besides when you're playing ET?  Are you running anything in the background (AV, web browser, music, etc)?  

There's a lot of different things that can cause this from mouse, to video card, to drivers, to system updates.   When did this start?  Can you track it back to see if you installed, changed, or if the system updated around that time?

Not long after I posted here, it froze again while just browsing on the web. But when I play ET it freezes quickly, can't even finish 1 match.  Now I've been able to play fortnite for 30 mins without problems...

The things running in the background is discord chrome and maybe spotify (without music).

I do install the updates from windows but I don't remember installing something specific. I remember it happened once before my travels but I was able to play again after. So I would say it started at the beginning of March. My computer didn't run since then.  

When I take a look at the device manager panel, it tells me I have a problem with SAS Controller and Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL (COM3)

Could it be the cause? Seems like I can't update them or repair it...

I'm not convinced that either of those two issues are related to your problem. AMT doesn't matter, that's for remote management. SAS controller... well if that were a problem, typically you'd be missing drives (they wouldn't be visible). I guess missing or incorrect drivers could be causing an interrupt storm... which in that case could consume the majority of the CPU's cycles. But I doubt it...

Let's start with four questions based on that SAS controller and for general troubleshooting.
1.What's the error code in device manager?
2.More importantly are you using a SAS drive? Drive connector would look like this:
RightAngleML.jpg

3. When these freezes occur, do you need to hard reboot the machine or does it return to normal operation after awhile?

4. Under Processes tab of Task Manager, what is the reported "resource consumption" of System Interrupts?
interrupts.JPG.7165e2b56d57384f93a3e482f3a53afb.JPG

You can download a nifty tool from Resplendence Software (been meaning to write a tutorial about it), called LatencyMon. This uses performance analyzing toolkits that are built into Windows and puts them in a nice pretty format that's easy to understand. Basically, you run it and let it do it's thing for xyz amt. of time in the background while you use the machine. It will report what driver(s) are issuing the highest number of interrupt requests, pagefaults, and what their execution time is. Basically, it gives an idea of what's causing performance degradation on a software level. You might run that and see what it reports back.
Here's a link: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Edited by Xernicus
Fixed image
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Leatherface said:

ho ancora la versione 1709

abilities update windows, and update everything, solve many previous problems, and is less exposed to risks of the vulnerability encountered by experts, currently the current version is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1803 build SO v17134.48
you can view it, by right clicking on "Start" select the item, execute, write winver, and press enter

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1803 build SO v17134.48

if windows updates do not download, you can find them on Windows Update Catalog

to this address Windows Update Catalog and install it manually

Edited by JirenTV

Let's not go around suggesting major system updates such as Windows 10 builds, especially with problems such as this one that could cause corruption during the installation.

Updating/reinstalling drivers is a good first start, and can fix many issues but it's always a good idea to find out exactly which driver is the culprit. That's why I suggest running LatencyMon.

Also, please don't hijack topics. This topic is related to Wicx's issue, so let's stick to that. Feel free to shoot Leatherface a PM on how to use the Windows Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to v1803 if you wish.

• Like 2

1. Error code is Code 28 The drivers for this device are not installed.

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

2. I'm not sure if I do so I took 2 pictures. 

https://ibb.co/fqB18y
https://ibb.co/hJdETy

3. It seems like it doesn't come back to normal after a while. Maybe I was just not patient enough. Next time I will let it go for longer to see if it does come back to normal. 

4. System Interrupts is exactly like the picture you put. So 0.1% of CPU.

5. Here's a screenshot from the LatencyMon report https://ibb.co/hzOsFd

I talked about the update, simply, because I happened to the same thing, and I had just installed all the drivers, windows was just installed, everything worked and after the windows updates to the version indicated by him, gave me the same problems, and I asked myself why he tells me that there are no drivers that I had just installed, I only indicated that after further update to 1803 I have not found these errors

it was an opinion, not an obligation to install the 1803, but if it is censorship on this forum to answer the topics, then I start not to write anymore
thanks to education

So it just happened again while I was reading the forums. I did see on the web that switching ports could help, which I did without success. BUT when I switched them to the front ports of my computer, both my mouse and my keyboard started to work again. I've been able to look at LatencyMon and here's screenshot: https://ibb.co/efhdoy I will continue testing to see if the problem happens with the front port as well...

By the way, I'm still on the 1709 version of Windows but windows update tells me that everything is up to date... and thank you everyone for all your insight :)