Butters needs some help about switching OS to different SSD

Hey girls I got a problem.... I have a 128ssd with the os on it its almost full and is not working fast anymore its about 3 years old.  I have a second one with 256 ssd.  THat is newer and has almost no space taken up. I also have a tig of hhd.  I have the disk for windows 10 when I got this peice of shit that is the one on the fisrt ssd.  How do I transfer the os to the 258ssd with out going crazy and flucking up everything?  Thanks in advance POO POO

• Administrators

Either use hard drive clone hardware OR 

Use software clone tool. See here - https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/free-disk-cloning-software.html 

• Like 2

• Leader

I used the tool built into Windows 10 pro to move from a 128GB to a 500GB.  Windows refused to do it until I moved some of the data files from the 128 to a 1TB HD.  It needed more free space on the Source Drive.

The Target SSD was new, and had nothing on it.

I used a similar method when I updated from Win7 to 10.  I migrated Win7 from a 128GB sata-2 to a 128GB sata-3 and then updated the newer SSD.  That left me with a bootable win7 SSD that I MUST remember to boot from and update from time to time.  (Like maybe Today!).  Most of my data is on the 1TB HD, along with some programs that I had avoided installing on the sata-2.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I second that, although offline replicators are not cheap. 

Cheap in US. Got one for 20 bucks. 

Sample - https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Duplicator-Function-EC-HDD2/dp/B00IKC14OG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526324069&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=hard+drive+cloner&psc=1

I just read reviews, run check for the reviews through 3rd party website since lot's of fake reviews and then buy. Just need to go through their specs first before buying it. 

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

With all that HDD space, what do you have on your SSD? I have 500Gb HDD Drive that I put everything on, but my OS and only my most used programs are on me 500GB SSD. Like Chrome, Firefox. the games I play the most (ET, for one). 

Edited by -=HipKat=-

I'd clone it, then expand the data partition. EaseUS software (like what dare mentioned) is pretty solid.

Try these steps for EaseUS to clone the drive: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-boot-from-ssd.html

See if it works. I've never done an online clone of a system disk, so I can't vouch for how it handles protected system files. (If it doesn't work, no worries... we have CloneZilla for that)

Then you'll want to expand the data partition. After all, cloning a 128gig drive to a 256gb will most likely leave you with one 110gb partition.... and the rest of the drive as empty space. No bueno.
This is good software here, I've used it for 7+ years: https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

Once you've got the partition software running, look at the SSD, it's probably on the top line as Disk 0. You'll probably see "C: System" on one line, and a nice "Unallocated" on the line below that.
Click/Select the system partition and choose "Resize/Move partition" from the sidebar. "Unallocated Space Before" should be at 0mb already, so just type in "0" into "Unallocated space after", make sure Optimize for SSD is checked, and make sure that it's actually resizing the disk, and not shoving the partition over by 100gigs. Then click "OK".
It will need to reboot your computer to complete the operation, so grab a snack and a drink and let it do it's thing.

• Like 1

Thanks girls.  I bought that program. I cloned it to the 256.  But it says its only 128 now after the clone but I see what you are saying about making a partion but I got that done dont want to fluck it up lol  THanks FOr the help (-0=