ETLegacy - Who plays from ETLegacy

daredevil
Message added by daredevil

Please DO NOT download ETlegacy 2.76 as it will not work on any servers using pk3 as menu of char ~~ or Ext ASCII characters. Matter of times server admins start spamming zzzzz in pk3 names. I have no idea what is the logic behind blocking pk3 file name rather then blocking menu override itself. 

I have tried to talk with @kemon  , IRATA and other member of Legacy team. They went out with this approach which really doesn't make any sense. Let's be honest here - it doesn't - no matter how much anyone tries to justify it. Even @kemon you and IRATA both even agreed to that i.e. blocking file characters is not a good logic,  in our conversations so i have no idea what happened during release. 

Here is prime example - Gun control is an issue for massive crime so some people decided to block ONLY SMG's but rest of the guns would be still freely available in market. Does that make any sense? Because you ban SMG but rifles, other guns, pistol, etc etc are still available in market.  

So same happened in ETLegacy 2.76 version. They just banned 2-3 characters in ETLegacy version. Matter of time admins will start spamming pk3's with name zzzzzzzz, yyyyyyyyy, xxxxxxxxxx - etc... etc. 

I have no idea what else to say. I have tried to convey the message since months to the team but they did - what they wanted to do it even though few members had told me that in next version they will not block any file names. No offense intended to anyone. In my book - it's horrible logic. It really is. 

I am regular on some of =F|A= and other community servers. I updated legacy and got same issue.  Who are this bogus coders of ETLegacy? Seems like some power hungry coders who go ape shit when they don't get their way. Wait for few months - they will start banning servers left and right when some admins would not ban skilled players and some would think they cheat. 

Seems like some power hungry team. I see same issues on some other clan servers I play. Admins and players are pissed. Do this ETlegacy coders play the game or run any community? 

Plus WHO the f*** give ETLegacy team RIGHT to delete the files from my Windows????? I am reporting this horse shit to Microsoft as viruses!!!!!!

• Haha 1

@kemon

Well I was excited to see the new et legacy 2.76 came out as I downloaded it an found out it wouldn't work on on servers? But yet you're advertising on our forms hmmm seem more like you all are trying to recruit people to your servers to make them more popular. As to everyone else here on forms please do not download anything from et legacy or support them please as I will no longer support them. Thanks kemon an et legacy team for letting a lot of people down. 

the important thing is to do a new installation.
  in our computer we can also have 100 enemy territory, who wants to try it, it can do it on legacy servers, I joined a 2.75 server and it works, when I want to go to the "FA" servers I connect with the good old normal ET

Edited by Lenovo
  • Like 1

I tried it now is really horrible, do not go out the bullets from the rifle, although I went to a server where my ping is 30, I have already uninstalled and thrown into the trash.

Jaymod for ever with et.exe is better

Edited by Lenovo
  • 100 2

Blocking pk3 starting with the tilde [~] was never about completely fixing it. The only fix would be to rework the entire UI system in ET, which is a mammut task.

Backstory
These pk3 are used for only one thing. To alter the main menu of the player. This can range from simple support, over suggested servers all the way to completely breaking the game of the player. There were occasions last summer, where players were directed to servers without their consent. Everytime you enter the main menu, you would be reconnected to a server by force. This is a virus. ET needs new players to survive and new players will immediately uninstall the game when stuff like that happens.

Why?
There are several communities that are running perfectly fine without forcing their menu onto the player. The logic is that server admins need to understand that it is absolutely not acceptable to ship potentially maliscious files to the player. You wouldn't play any other game out there that would do sth like this. You only accept it because you have a connection to ET, but new players don't have that.

If you need these pk3 then you're expecting your players to also play on other servers and you don't want that. However, it's their free choice. They can enter your server into their favourites. If you don't manage to retain your players by quality of the server, then that is not a reason to screw up their menu. If you can retain them, then you don't need a menu.

Logic behind blocking the tilde [~]
Like I said, we never intended to **fix** this issue by blockig the tilde. It was a warning sign to server admins. Obviously, this warning sign was pretty successful because we now are having a discussion about this.
Feel free to go back to zzz_, but do it with the conscious decision that you want to tamper with the player's game. We are only blocking the tilde, to show the community that potentially maliscious files are not acceptable. You wouldn't accept them from any other program or game, so why ET?

Please note that from our side we will leave your Discord in our #communities list and will not take up any means to 'retaliate'. We are one ET community. We do not condone tampering with the game of players, but we are not blacklisting any communities out there. You still have our full support, just like any other community does.
I, personally, hope that you will make the decision to stop tampering with menus and try out ET: Legacy. There have been substantial improvements that should make up for not being able to force your decisions onto others.

Apparently by protecting the player we have started a community war. I do apologize for this. Our only intention is to protect players.

Thank you

Plus WHO the f*** give ETLegacy team RIGHT to delete the files from my Windows????? I am reporting this horse shit to Microsoft as viruses!!!!!!

Then you might also want to report pk3 from clans as viusses for altering the player's game. Or vanilla ET for allowing the redirect exploits of last summer to happen. The one from F|A might have been good, but since we can't properly check for the content in them before starting the game, we need to work with the worst case. That is that as soon as you enter the main menu you get forced redirected to a server (or even webserver). So whenever you start the game or leave from the server, you get redirected again. You would play no other game that redirects you to a website without your consent. You wouldn't trust any website that you navigate to that would redirect you to another website. To me, this is the definition of a virus.

//EDIT: To be fair, I was not aware that we are simply deleting files without asking first. I do need to confirm that with the others, but even antivirus programs ask before they delete.

Edited by kemon
  • Like 1

Sorry to jump in here but you keep using the term 'potentially malicious files' - this is ridiculous and funny at the same time.  

EVERY file on the internet is potentially malicious.  The coding behind this forum is 'potentially' malicious.  Are you going to stop people coming here too?

Every website you've ever visited, and every file you've ever downloaded, is potentially malicious.  What are you going to do about that? Who says you get to dictate what people download?

Even AntiVirus software which sole purpose is to prevent these malicious entities, lets you allow certain files if you want to.

Seriously I liked the ETL project but not if this is the kinda mentality you have for the future of the project. 

This is everything the likes of Tim Berners Lee (our founder of the internet if you don't know) is fighting against.  The internet was supposed to be about freedom not confinement and constraint.

Edited by Chuckun
  • Like 2
  • 100 1

The problem is the degree of 'potentially malicious'. Sure, every file on the internet could be bad, you never know. However, it's not the same.

You don't go to random sites on the internet and start downloading .exe files. You only download .exe (hopefully) from sites that you trust, because exe has a higher potential of being malicious.

The main menu files are the exe. They get executed whenever the player enters the main menu.

Like I said, we can't check for their content to be 'good' or 'bad', so we have to assume that it is bad. Because again, you wouldn't execute an exe file that you were forced to download from a site/server that you just connected to to see how it is. This is roughly the same. I don't know if you remember the horrible redirect exploits last summer. ET: Legacy was exempt from that, because we fixed that exploit on the engine level. But how are these exploits accepted behaviour?

I'm not implying F|A is doing anything malicious! By no means! I'm just saying that we can't scan the files for 'good' or 'bad' and therefore need to assume they are bad.

• Like 1

That is strange. We didn't alter the weapon properties whatsoever. Fire rate should be the same.

I mean we do have several old ETPro players now doing quite frequent scrims on ET: Legacy and they didn't report that.

They did report the delay when starting to fire feels longer, however after some tests they said it was due to sounds and switching to OpenAL sound source normalized it.

That you are not hitting the head might be due to adjusted hitboxes. The vanilla body hitbox extends all the way to the top of the head hitbox, so when you are aiming for the head and you miss to the left or right you still get bodyshots. This is ludicrous for any shooter that wants to be proper for esports. It's like aiming with training wheels :D

I would still be very interested in having the Jaymod hitboxes (first post in that ticket). They seem to be really accurate, but this is highly argumentative and not very well accepted by ETPro players. Understandably.

• Like 1

I saw the option OpenAL

I was using the other option, I'll do a test, to see if you shoot better, but I still have doubts, ok I know that the hitboxes are different, but if I go behind the back of a bot stopped, and I paste the viewfinder on the head and shot, instead of dying turns, pim pim pim and I'm dead, it's a bit strange, I also played professionally, with ETPRO but even when I had the ISDN connection I shot bad as in these mods

NQ
Silent
ET: Legacy

I guarantee that my cfg is excellent

I have a FIBRA 140 / 20MB connection
average latency 50
impossible to shoot so bad only on these 3 mods

I also noticed that unlike normal age, which just installed and launched, for the first time opens the windows firewall where you have to give consent.
with ET: Legacy has not appeared anything, I would not like it being blocked by the firewall

77.cfg

allies.cfg

axis.cfg

scripts.cfg

scripts2.cfg

start.cfg

test.cfg

Edited by Lenovo

3 hours ago, kemon said:

ET needs new players to survive and new players will immediately uninstall the game when stuff like that happens.

Also new players will immediately uninstall the game cuz they won't be able to connect to any server.

Why won't you guys just make a warning msg with explanation that files are 'unsafe' and add allow button?

Edited by Siwex89
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Siwex89 said:

Also new players will immediately uninstall the game cuz they won't be able to connect to any server.

Why won't you guys just make a warning msg with explanation that files are 'unsafe' and add allow button?

Uhm....you can /connect, you can use the server browser, you can connect to your favourite selection in the server browser, you can connect to IP from the server browser.

16 minutes ago, Lenovo said:

I have to confirm that with the OpenAL sound source
is improved, and anyway it depends on the server, I played about 1 hour on the official TeamMuppet server, and I have to say that it shoots discreetly, it is leased in France and I'm in Italy, I enjoyed it, also the problem I had this week about the sound that croaks, after the updates of win 10 - 1809 in January 2019, on ET Jaymod, here has not occurred and the fps are very stable at 76, but lately, after new maps have been added, I always have this problem , sudden decline of fps and audio crackling, the thing that I do not explain, and that nobody has managed to give me a valid advice, is that it only happens on the servers "FA" and it happens only to me, it can not be the cfg, simply because I'm using it identical on ET: Legacy, and it gives me no problem

Hey bud- could you create a separate topic for this? You've mentioned this, but only bumped other topics. We can't derail topics to help solve a specific problem, you need to create a new one.
-This does rule out v1809 as your problem (though it is a piece of junk for other games and doesn't play nice with certain graphics drivers and Intel chipsets)
-It actually could be config differences if TM has forced cvars for audio, memory settings (namely soundmegs), etc.
-ET:L works differently for user and ET:L server configs only, not for ETPub/ETPro/JayMod/NQ/silEnT server config.

-You mention new maps.... but it's hard to understand with Google Translated English. You're referring to new maps on =F|A= servers? Jay3?

-If these problems are after new maps were added to Jay3, does this problem occur on Jay1 or 2?

Please respond to these questions in a new topic here. Thanks!

Edited by Xernicus
fixed typo, grammar structure
  • Like 3

• Administrators
5 hours ago, kemon said:

Logic behind blocking the tilde [~]
Like I said, we never intended to **fix** this issue by blockig the tilde. It was a warning sign to server admins. Obviously, this warning sign was pretty successful because we now are having a discussion about this.
Feel free to go back to zzz_, but do it with the conscious decision that you want to tamper with the player's game. We are only blocking the tilde, to show the community that potentially maliscious files are not acceptable. You wouldn't accept them from any other program or game, so why ET?

Sorry we discussed this before but here we are again - I can't believe how some people can be that much naive. I am not blaming you though Kemon so don't get me wrong. But certain things need to have discussion. You have clearly told me that blocking will be removed in next version i.e. 2.76 but it's not. 

So you are asking servers admins to go back to zzz and asking ALL Players to download it all back because some people decided to block some characters? Their is no malicious about those menus. Their is no client security issue involved.  In fact their is no check in ETLegacy to block any malicious code. Any admin would still be able to do whatever they want. What Legacy team has done is just created headache for players and server admins. 

Yes, it's headache because as a human being with any logical understanding anyone would know it. 

NOTE - I was not against ETLegacy and I am still NOT - but it should not be the case where ETLegacy makes illogical calls - and we PLAYERS and SERVERS OWNERS get screwed for it.  I could ignore all those like other server admins are doing it and be a good guy to all but I am not here to be nice ass kisser. I am here to request what's BEST for PLAYERS and not just 'few' people.

As said before - I appreciate the efforts - but when logic is bad - it's bad. Logic doesn't have feelings. 

Here is my conversation with IRATA - Which shows my opinion - 

hellreturn11/27/2018
I already mentioned that to Kemon.  Also another Q - can we put limit on pk3 name? ex 52 for custom is too much. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.pk3 would be mess.
names would change from ~~~ to zzz but eventually it would be same thing
the problem is bogus pk3 which breaks the main screen completely.. i really go nuts over that.
IR411/27/2018
in fact is is the same thing
just moved to another char
hellreturn11/27/2018
yes, that's why asked if u can block it from loading all together
in silent mod we block it.
IR411/27/2018
there are voices who want to disable custom menus completely
hellreturn11/27/2018
Yes, i am 100% for it - and fixing of favorites will be helpful.
Let players add the favorite servers, in their clients, themselves. Admins can put banners, if master list is down, please add our server as favorite.
IR411/27/2018
favorites are working(edited)
already
but ..
hmmm
we might do that better with our interal sqlite db
instead of file based
hellreturn11/27/2018
How players can add server to fav - once they join the server? That's something which is required. If i play on 5 servers, once i join server, i would like to add it in favorite.
IR411/27/2018
I like this idea
we might add it to the end
hellreturn11/27/2018
yes, thank you
IR411/27/2018
hmm
hellreturn11/27/2018
anywhere is fine for me as long as player can find it and admins can't force it up, assuming it's not variable based using forecvar
IR411/27/2018
I think this esc menu is mod related
I have to think about that
how to implment this in mods via engine
afaik there is a command to add servers to favourites
hellreturn11/27/2018
Can we make sure, admins, don't abuse it?
IR411/27/2018
good q
but I've had same thoughts ..
it might be abused ...
(as it is ...)
hellreturn11/27/2018
then best to fix it if possible.
IR411/27/2018
it requires total rework
when you are clicking on fav ticker and this server is favorite it is deleted w/o dialog
the dealing is crappy
we should file this
-> add server to favorites in mod(edited)
hellreturn11/27/2018
Yes, pls. I appreciate your efforts, although sometimes, i feel to spam you for releasing NQ 1.3.0 but i refrain from doing it because I understand you have life as well, like all of us.