ETLegacy - Who plays from ETLegacy

daredevil
Message added by daredevil

Please DO NOT download ETlegacy 2.76 as it will not work on any servers using pk3 as menu of char ~~ or Ext ASCII characters. Matter of times server admins start spamming zzzzz in pk3 names. I have no idea what is the logic behind blocking pk3 file name rather then blocking menu override itself. 

I have tried to talk with @kemon  , IRATA and other member of Legacy team. They went out with this approach which really doesn't make any sense. Let's be honest here - it doesn't - no matter how much anyone tries to justify it. Even @kemon you and IRATA both even agreed to that i.e. blocking file characters is not a good logic,  in our conversations so i have no idea what happened during release. 

Here is prime example - Gun control is an issue for massive crime so some people decided to block ONLY SMG's but rest of the guns would be still freely available in market. Does that make any sense? Because you ban SMG but rifles, other guns, pistol, etc etc are still available in market.  

So same happened in ETLegacy 2.76 version. They just banned 2-3 characters in ETLegacy version. Matter of time admins will start spamming pk3's with name zzzzzzzz, yyyyyyyyy, xxxxxxxxxx - etc... etc. 

I have no idea what else to say. I have tried to convey the message since months to the team but they did - what they wanted to do it even though few members had told me that in next version they will not block any file names. No offense intended to anyone. In my book - it's horrible logic. It really is. 

• Administrators

Years back, we started telling everyone to use 2.6b and so far we have been successful. It's about time for new change. 

You can download ETLegacy from here - https://www.etlegacy.com/download

Current members, playing from ETLegacy, please share your feedback here so that other players can make a call from your experience i.e. do you face any issue or it works out well for you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, daredevil said:

Years back, we started telling everyone to use 2.6b and so far we have been successful. It's about time for new change. 

You can download ETLegacy from here - https://www.etlegacy.com/download

Current members, playing from ETLegacy, please share your feedback here so that other players can make a call from your experience i.e. do you face any issue or it works out well for you. 

Only major drawback with ET:L is that ETpro doesnt work with it. Am I correct?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, CheepHeep said:

Only major drawback with ET:L is that ETpro doesnt work with it. Am I correct?

Yes

• Like 1

I'd like to hear about the cfg stuff, since it is not recommend to use ET cfg with ET:L...If someone has a cfg to share, I'd want to try it. Been thinking to install legacy, but that cfg stuff is something I dont have much time to rebuild now.

Edited by RendeL

7 minutes ago, RendeL said:

I'd like to hear about the cfg stuff, since it is not recommend to use ET cfg with ET:L...If someone has a cfg to share, I'd want to try it. Been thinking to install legacy, but that cfg stuff is something I dont have much time to rebuild now.

You need to make new config because there are many new/updated cvars. Lots of the old/relics/broken cvars were cleaned and some of them fixed.

In a matter of feedback: highly recommend because it has lots of new features, updated security. Better compatibility with newer drivers and hardware. Ability to choose sound source in case you have many of them on your pc or need to change between speakers and headset

Best features for me are fullscreen borderless (r_mode -2) and alt tab so you can have for example et opened with console and web browser or something on top of it and still see the console. Raw mouse input support.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm also playing from ETL. It's the only version that runs smooth on my system (Win 10). It's extremely hard for me to use the 2.60b version, because of massive lags in main menu. (Did some research on it, found some other people having the same issue. It's not fixable by regular user afaik, only using updated install like ETL will help. BTW, other games on q3 like RTCW act the same and the only fix is to use updated version if available).

So I like ETL because it works. I've got mixed feelings about it though, but I'll tell about that in a while. ETL has got some new nice features (that I'm not usually using since I'm used to good old bugged ET). Some of them is for example a secondary opengl renderer, which changes some stuff like lights slightly, makes players brighter etc (you can see in the first demo included in my FA promo video - it's recorded with some tweaked ETL settings). You can also use ETL renderer (while Vanilla is default), but I haven't tested it much, noticed only some FPS drops. You can check all features here: https://www.etlegacy.com/about

About the cfg - I'm using my cfg from 2.60b on ETL and it works well. You don't have to change or remove anything. ETL will set some cvars by default, you can include them in your cfg if you want to save your changes. There's 1 thing you might want to look at - mouse sensitivity. Mouse can feel slower/faster depending on in_mouse setting I guess. I suggest to keep your cfg in 2.60b unchanged - for etpro, and make changes only in your ETL config. Remembers that your cfgs and profile settings, new maps etc. are saved in Documents>ETL, but I'm keeping my cfg and maps in ETL install folder and it works well.

Here's what I don't like the most in ETL - random crashes. Can't reproduce it any way, it just happens while joining any random server with any mod, map, time, pc setting - crashes to desktop without error or info in log. When it starts, I'm usually unable to come back to the server. I've found some solutions that sometimes work - PM me if you need help.

1 thing I love about ETL - minimizing with alt-tab instantly, without messing with brightness. Sometimes I'm unable to maximize again, but it's clearly some Win 10 bug.

So I'd recommend ETL for those that have compatibility issues, some strange bugs that came with Win 10 etc. Check it out if the new features sound interesting to you, you probably will enjoy it. If you are comfortable with old ET - I suggest you stay with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use it pretty much always when I am not on etpro, but I know of a few issues that have always bothered me.

#1 the most annoying for me yet so small: Pressing t to talk start typing a message, then you press esc to cancel the message for whatever reason. It will only deselect the chat window, so you have to press esc twice to completely close the chat window. It drives me insane sometimes, for some reason I do this a lot.

#2 I run into a lot of sound distortion/issues I can't really explain what it is but the bass sounds flat but loud. I have no idea what I am talking about all I know is sometimes it doesn't sound right, especially when there are a lot of stuff going on.

#3 The new render is not playable for me, fps is like 0.

#4 Last one is a + and -. I have been crashing on 2.60b(see my post in support for more info) so I decided to try legacy instead and I don't crash anymore! But the sounds issues are amplified by like 10. And when loading a map the brightness gets really bright. So yeah this one is more a plus since I don't crash.

I have an absolute horrible computer so my issues are likely originating from that.

I used to follow the development pretty closely(I don't know if they are still working on it?) and report the things I had issues with(namely Issue #1, they said it was something with how the mod handles it and nothing can be done). Pretty much the alt tabbing is the main sell for legacy, I haven't modified my config for legacy and I don't think you would ever need to unless you want to take full advantage of the client.

• Thanks 1

Thank for your reply Zelly. For the sound problems, I might be having the same issue, but I think I have this problem since 2.60b. Can you start a topic about it? (if you haven't aready). Maybe we can help.

I'm using etl for quite some time and I like it very much, my ping and fps is more stable compared to regular et.

But my cursor is main menu is up side down dunno why :D

lol.thumb.jpg.472c17077a576c7682525d426bdab6bb.jpg

I've got used to it and I don't mind it 😋

• Like 1

• Administrators

We have fixed the cursor issue in next pk3 cleaner update. Give me day or so and we will release it up. That upside down was because when me and medic developed it long time back ETlegacy didn't existed. Shana already fixed it up in next version for us. 

• Like 1

EtLegacy simply didnt work on my laptop.I would get black and orange horizontal lines throughout the whole screen flashing sort of like when you recorded a tv screen with your phone back in the day.

I didnt bother with it,i see no reason  to use it especially if i have to research  to get it working.

13 minutes ago, Cumquat said:

EtLegacy simply didnt work on my laptop.I would get black and orange horizontal lines throughout the whole screen flashing sort of like when you recorded a tv screen with your phone back in the day.

I didnt bother with it,i see no reason  to use it especially if i have to research  to get it working.

This is also what I am afraid of. I am still using Vista 64b and since the support is stopped, many programs doesn't work on it. I have never read a single line about ET:L until yday and got already chills from it right from the start.

However I am gonna give it a try and install new on another drive, can always go back to old if it doesn't work like I want to.

43 minutes ago, RendeL said:

This is also what I am afraid of. I am still using Vista 64b and since the support is stopped, many programs doesn't work on it. I have never read a single line about ET:L until yday and got already chills from it right from the start.

However I am gonna give it a try and install new on another drive, can always go back to old if it doesn't work like I want to.

Legacy runs fine on win 10, actually better than 2.6b.. I use same config on both with no issues..

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2018 at 8:06 PM, Zelly said:

I use it pretty much always when I am not on etpro, but I know of a few issues that have always bothered me.

#1 the most annoying for me yet so small: Pressing t to talk start typing a message, then you press esc to cancel the message for whatever reason. It will only deselect the chat window, so you have to press esc twice to completely close the chat window. It drives me insane sometimes, for some reason I do this a lot.

I will put that on my list for UI changes. UI changes are a bit of an issue right now, since the code is a burning mess and the best thing would be a complete rework of the UI code. Unfortuantely, this is not really a priority right now, but that doesn't mean that we can't change it.

#2 I run into a lot of sound distortion/issues I can't really explain what it is but the bass sounds flat but loud. I have no idea what I am talking about all I know is sometimes it doesn't sound right, especially when there are a lot of stuff going on.

It's a bit hard to point to the problem from over here, but there have been a few sound related changes for 2.76. Please report back, if the sound issues should still be present in the upcoming release.
Changelog: https://dev.etlegacy.com/projects/etlegacy/wiki/Changelog#276-The-enemy-is-weakened-work-in-progress

#3 The new render is not playable for me, fps is like 0.

Completely agree. Renderer2 is not in a playable state in the 2.75 release. However, in the changelog for 2.76 we introduced a new category "renderer" which keeps track of the renderer specific changes. There have been substantial improvements in that area for the new version and there is progress nearly on a daily basis. You can join our Discord server to keep track of updates in the #github channel or follow the activity on our homepage.

#4 Last one is a + and -. I have been crashing on 2.60b(see my post in support for more info) so I decided to try legacy instead and I don't crash anymore!

But the sounds issues are amplified by like 10.

Like I said, there have been a few changes related to sound, so please report back if the issues should persist in 2.76.

And when loading a map the brightness gets really bright.

This has been reported already. Please refer to ticket #1069 for updates. However, please note, that this issue has been moved to the 2.77 release, because we need to focus on crucial issues right now to push the new release. We are already way behind on schedule.

==========

On 4/28/2018 at 9:12 AM, Cumquat said:

Could you please send me the specs of your system, so we do have a chance of trying to reproduce or narrow down the cause of this issue? Thanks.

==========

On 4/28/2018 at 9:21 AM, RendeL said:

This is a bit awkward now, because I do have to admit that we are dropping support for both Win XP and Vista in the upcoming 2.76 release. The main reason for it being that Microsoft themselves stopped supporting those OSes, which make s them a potential security issue. You should really think about updating. I'm very happy with Win 7.

==========

Regarding configs and cvars, please refer to this wiki entry. All changes in that area have been noted down there. If your config includes cvars marked with the "?", then please have a closer look at them.

While browsing the list, feel free to add the Legacy specific cvars if you see a benefit there ;)

==========

Again, thank you very much for all your feedback. Please keep it coming.

I will make sure to browse your forums and especially this thread.

Edited by kemon
  • Thanks 4
  • 100 1