How fast can you type??

CheepHeep

this test is not for me .. lol i got u are slower then 120 % of everyone and u cant spell worth crap .lol -467 wpm .lol maybe i shouldnt have made it so it typed back to front..lol😋

39 minutes ago, Platonic said:

Your score: 387 CPM (that is 77 WPM)

Your score beats or equals 91.14% of all.

I'm wondering why we are all way faster than average... This thing is just an ego booster?

People who spend a lot of time on their computer (playing ET) probably isn't the best sample to think that. We're being compared to people who never learned to type and people who only use computers for, like, Facebook and email.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Platonic said:

Your score: 387 CPM (that is 77 WPM)

Your score beats or equals 91.14% of all.

I'm wondering why we are all way faster than average... This thing is just an ego booster?

I mean from a google search. On a few sites, it says average WPM is around 40. I'd assume that "gamers" or people that are around computers a lot will naturally have better typing speed. Practice makes perfect. I'm not too sure how 40 was calculated and what factors were taken into consideration. Once I've finished studying. Ill try and do a little bit  of research and report back here to educate everyone and possibly LET OUR EGOS GET DIS BOOSTER :P

Im assuming kids new to Computers, the older generation and people that aren't around computers will dramatically bring down the average.

Edited by CheepHeep
  • Like 1

• Platinum VIP

Well im not gonna take this test, i type just fast enough for me.  I learned with a hammer and chisel and i could do 65 wpm.  Thats a royal manual typewriter.  Im sure i increased at some point in my life but now its just fast enough..:)  

Edited by Kooki
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CheepHeep said:

I mean from a google search. On a few sites, it says average WPM is around 40. I'd assume that "gamers" or people that are around computers a lot will naturally have better typing speed. Practice makes perfect. I'm not too sure how 40 was calculated and what factors were taken into consideration. Once I've finished studying. Ill try and do a little bit  of research and report back here to educate everyone and possibly LET OUR EGOS GET DIS BOOSTER :P

Im assuming kids new to Computers, the older generation and people that aren't around computers will dramatically bring down the average.

In any case when researching this, people should use median and not average. Standard deviation is too high. Average would go way up because of those few sicktards who get 700 wpm (actually the opposite of what you are saying) :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Platonic said:

In any case when researching this, people should use median and not average. Standard deviation is too high. Average would go way up because of those few sicktards who get 700 wpm (actually the opposite of what you are saying) :D

One could also argue that on the other side of the spectrum, there are people that can barely type 10 words per minute. Which will dramatically decrease the average. Also, I assume the sample size upon which this mean was calculated is large enough so that any outliers  (people that can type crazy fast or type super slow) becomes insignificant and doesn't affect the mean that much. 

Anyway I will see what studies there are and whatnot. Reason why Emal and TurtleMan have such high typing speed is because they have had classes for it so they are probably not the typical typist. 

Edited by CheepHeep
  • Like 1

I found this. Not positive on its accuracy or how current it is but it can give a rough idea. 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0156/9110/files/Average-OrbiTouch-Typing-Speed.pdf

For those not interested in reading the 5 page pdf. :P Heres a graph.

typingspeedgraph.PNG.55bd71e5d0c305a2ffdaaf3ce805fd29.PNGtypingspeedgraph2.PNG.4b9173f126aba92725998bbae44e13b8.PNG

Now with online tests. The sample size is likely to be a lot higher than the ~4000 in this test as each test taken is recorded. I'd expect the average to keep rising though as typing is becoming....is part of our every day lives now.

Cool Fact: Fastest English typist had a record of 216 Words Per Minute!

EDIT:

Ah! What Turtleman was referring to:

typingspeedgraph3.PNG.f9831295d609a1588332c01b81c13cc2.PNG

I can't fit the whole graph because its on a scroll but the majority of it is included. As TurtleMan pointed out. The median is 204CPM.

Note: n = 46479240 as of now. So i'd say its safe to assume that it is fairly accurate to use mean/median in any case.

Edited by CheepHeep

3 hours ago, Platonic said:

Its true that median should be used (but that also could be argued, both are correct); if I remember correctly to my statistics lectures, the problem is not with the variance of the the sample, but with that it is skewed. Anything that has a minimum or maximum will likely be skewed in one direction (eg with salaries, the minimum is close to 0, while the highest ones are very far away from the middle, so to median will be much closer to the 0 point than the average)

6 hours ago, Platonic said:

I tested my father with the 10fastfingers one (very similar to cheep's) not long ago, and he got around 20 wpn, so its not for ego boost :D

But if you want to type a real (somewhat even difficult) text here is this one :)

http://www.intersteno.org/intersteno-internet-contests/training-with-taki-version/

Here my keystrokes fall from 430 to around 300 :P

Hovewer this one doesnt compare you to anyone