Windows Good software for folder sync

daredevil

• Administrators

Does anyone has any good suggestions to sync the folders in Windows? Like we have rsync in linux distros, looking for something similar in windows. Please don't post Google suggestions. Looking for some suggestions based on your first hand experience. 

I'd say it's very poor rsync when it comes to configurability for example you can't set make backup like every friday or every hour because it updates right away for every file in folders that you have symlink to.

I've been using pcloud for quite some time already as you might have noticed on most of the pak updates.

You can create symlinks that update your drive upon file change.

image.png.3b1440c5bfd99bd797bc01bdb0ce250f.png

For example I made link to my etlegacy data so whenever I go I can use same files as I did on my MasterPC.

What I love about it that it emulates HDD so you can see it as a partition:

image.png.5a7c59945dfa2ac3c23f5c3a8484c052.png

Free capacity is 15Gb which I found enough because I can store and run et servers from it no problem.
Lan file transfer is also avaliable which is nice for people that have slower internet conenctions.
If you're using free bitdefender it can crash pcloud service, avg and avast worked fine with it.

As for google drive ugh, no thanks. I've looked into similar services to rsync but never really liked them.
Maybe this will help you if pcloud is not enough https://github.com/backuppc/backuppc/wiki/How-to-make-Backup-using-Rsync-server-on-Windows rsync wrapper for rsync server on windows.

Been years since I needed to sync folders in Windows-- back when we were migrating to new ERP system. Really depends on what your purpose is- incremental backup, synchronization across tons of folders (like a template), etc. There was something in PowerToys (PowerSync?) that worked decently for the latter, but the user interface was fubar. For backups... I've used Symantec backup exec... worked decently. Been on NovaBackup for awhile now- works pretty good for incrementals. None of these really work for symlinks though. I'd see if VSS would work for you in that regard.

Why not check cygwin port of rsync?

Edited by Xernicus
symlink note.

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2018 at 7:02 AM, daredevil said:

Does anyone has any good suggestions to sync the folders in Windows? Like we have rsync in linux distros, looking for something similar in windows. Please don't post Google suggestions. Looking for some suggestions based on your first hand experience. 

I've had personal experience with 2. One of them freeware (installer is ad-loaded) and one of them paid.

1. FreeFileSync. It's free, works fast, works OK, not a lot of options though. And mind the installer: you need to opt-out of the additional included program like McAfee anti-virus scanner.

2. SyncBack Pro. Not free, but has a ton of options such as customizable versioning, SFTP, etc. I use it to backup my data to my Synology NAS and my HiDrive cloud storage.

Please don't bump old topics. 
Side note, I don't think he still needs such software.

//locked

• Shana locked this topic