Weird load screen and game crashes on map change

Zelly

Will copy what I said in discord:
I am having troubles with my ET since I got back, when map loads/or vid_restart the loading screen has orange textures, and then looks like this which doesn't seem right(couldn't ss the orange it goes by too fast and doesn't seem to let me) It also sometimes crashes completely, and I get CG_SoundPlaySoundScript warnings for most map sounds like flag captures etc. Fresh install twice, et 2.60b happened on silent mod first and continued happening on etpro, all fa servers.

I briefly fixed it for a few maps by reinstalling ET(For 3rd time) carefully doing each step to see if I could pinpoint what was causing issue. The issue came back when I switched from adlernest to supply(downloaded both maps as it was fresh install)

Same happens with ET run as admin, and default settings.

Win 10

This is what it looks like when I vid_restart/map changes: the map preview and map description panel are both orange textures for about 1 second before showing this.

shot0003.thumb.jpg.3f890435e4fe63be527236a7b98b297f.jpg

This happened after I cvar_restarted:

(I am still in game I pressed ESC, and it showed the connecting UI despite already being connected. I disconnected as well and it didn't even show main menu it only showed this screen)

2018-04-10-180324-school.jpg.64a3ea5c929a56457cd85d697e0f19ee.jpg

Edited by Zelly

Completely new install no old pk3s exist completely new location, double checked paths in console as well. only servers i joined are fa ones and only server i joined on my 3rd install was hardcore.

For other people who intend to help.

Running as administrator & in compatibility mode, ui_restart and cvar_restart didn't solve the issue.

I had this on my old PC - none of these solutions helped other than to reinstall to a different location (important) - instead of default location choose a custom folder on your desktop or similar

• Like 1

First 2 times I installed in the most manual way possible by literally dling ET.exe 2.60b and the etmain pak/mp_bin pk3s.
3rd time i used the FA Download link. I installed in new locations, outside of program files (C:/user/zelly/games/...)

I tried with no config aswell and the issue still happened.

My main thing that has me stumped atm is that it was fine after 3rd install for a few maps, but something seemed to have triggered the malfunction when I downloaded new maps. (Even weirder it's not some custom maps, its very common scrim maps)

there is  files in et also stored in  your c drive .. program files    !     the route between these too is possible problem.if i go  and chk the c drive program files 86x and enemy territory  it stores all the  fa exrta files there.. so maybe this is not communicating right?

is your target : correct 

is your start in: correct ..

as for  orange boxes thats bad textures or not loading textures and id shoot tward your gpu settings! an or change your cfg . settings in target: to up ur hunk megs sound megs an zonemegs! in silent mod there is a crash log file saved to notepad .. maybe something in there?

and if ur dl et stock  old school ur maxpackets will be 4000 and ur rate will be 15  . ur hunk will be 56.. an so on .. ull need to modify your cfg.

Edited by captnconcrete

i don't really think is going to help  but it worth the  try  this uninstall the game all the way  mean's make sure all folder or files are removed from your pc  all together  

restart you  pc check and make sure the files are still gone  download the game from the one dd posted move your  etkey  to your etmain file start the game that way  i don't start et from the  et.exe i us et starter pro you could try that  it saves time in  typing in the ip  of the server you want to join  and all that  if you want to try that here just a little warning tho if you have norton it will flag the minmizer in the et starter pro  does not work for me anyways so  does not bug me at all but the joining part works you can see who on server  ping's  points and your ping so it helpful 

• Leader

Well, to me crashes + weird colors = video card slowly dying. I had this problem a few years back. What is your vid card? 

Another thing you can check is your fan speeds. Bad speed can cause the same issues (crashes, weird colors) a bad vid card can do for overheating.

Is you vid card clean? I had an old evga gtx 660 with a metal frame around who collected dust inside and it was packed as hell in it

A long shoot but cannot be ignored, your gpu is sick. Do you have issues other then ET?

Another long shot your power supply over heats or is dying as well but you would experience more then just problems with ET

If fresh installs does nothing then you have to consider the above.

1- Take your vid card off, try to see if it's packed with dust and clean it

2- check your video card health. Do a stress test here ----> Furmark_test and here's a tutorial on how to stress test -----> Stress_test_tutorial

3- Check if your fans runs ok

Good luck!

Edited by rambozo37

doubt its hardware failure.. really doubt ...

i had a dieing  7800gtx  yrs back that  had  orange boxes in et..  but orange boxes in et can show up with incorrect settings.  

if u could   go into ur graphics driver pull up your et settings and let us have a look.see... also up load ur cfg so i can have look see there.  im still gonna say this is a virtual store .. problem.

in silent ur fa goodies sound paks  .. an skins  are saved in program files86x also.

when a gpu fails from heat it  . shuts off ur pc.     an the fan will go 100% zoom. there is  error logs in w7 im asummin they have this in 10 i dont use ten.? but u can trouble shot any problem in windows   its easy...its in control panel  performance and tools.. u should be able to trouble shot any problem there in advanced tools..

• Administrators

I have seen first one happening with wrong cvars. Couldn't re-create it in my life time on consistent basis. Good luck bud. If it's not causing issue in game, ignore.