mortars??

ChaosMarine

Not TOTALLY useless in close quarter combat. I have found a few maps (Marikesh is one) where I can mortar over a wall at the enemy at about an 88 degree angle. And I think I have gotten Baska a few times on MLB Temple from down in the tunnels after the floor has been dyno'd (part of that "indoor mortaring" that was mentioned earlier :twisted: )

doc

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOOooooh ok..... what do you mean mortar indoors?

there are some maps in which its possible to set up mortars indoors. Preety dumb fun imo. Try frostbite

Not TOTALLY useless in close quarter combat. I have found a few maps (Marikesh is one) where I can mortar over a wall at the enemy at about an 88 degree angle. And I think I have gotten Baska a few times on MLB Temple from down in the tunnels after the floor has been dyno'd (part of that "indoor mortaring" that was mentioned earlier :twisted: )

doc

haha yes there are a few good places inside temple to mortar -- one of my fav. if i can get to it is if i am allied, and we can control the objective area for a few seconds, set up mortar at bottom of stairs leading to axis spawn. mortar can hold off respawning axis while engi plants dyno at the objective fence... if you can take up that position it almost always earns you a multikill or two.. also gets a few insults from axis team =D

( btw why does everyone play mlb temple? temple final much better map IMO )

i don't want to give away a bunch of sneaky mortar spots i've learned but i see some of you get the idea =D

yeah frostbite is great for it, and battery, special delivery, v2_base, et_base, etc. you just have to be creative.

the point of indoor mortar is that it is the same default damage as panzer, but has 25% larger blast radius and you get 4x as much ammo as a panzer. while its not as versatile indoors as a panzer, it has the ability to lob shots that the panzer can't when outdoors.

if you can get set up and get the shots off, it's more powerful overall than a panzer and you can take 3-4 shots in the time it takes a panzer to recharge to take a second shot.

if you can get to a spot to camp a spawn and kill a mass of enemy with one shot, panzer will only do it 4 times. if you can camp a spawn with a mortar the same way you can do it 16 times before running out of ammo. that should be all you need to know.

it's all about positioning. indoors you get all the splash damage from the walls and ceiling -- there's the opportunity to kill a whole squad repeatedly with one shot + actually see when to shoot as opposed to watching your command map and not knowing whether or not anyone is standing where you are firing.

mortar is actually banned from leagues because of this sort of sneaky, seemingly idiotic tactic.

ive throughly enjoy playing the mortar player on any side really. by hold g and firing at an direction its allows you barring 85 or above in height you can adjust the mortar accordingly to find the area you want to hit, now on a good day you will see me killing 6 at once when someone keeps a view on the enmy side so i get up to date info on enemy troop movements... otherwise your shooting blind.

however.. the mortar has 4 draw backs

1. ammo

2. protection from enemy vengence attack

3. required to use the map

4. your immobile when in position.

i suggest you find a place where the enemy cant shoot at you easy or at all, a place where you can fire your rounds without hitting any nearby landmarks, near a supply post and you have to be able to hear any person running around that is not on the map and be prepped to fight back.

ive throughly enjoy playing the mortar player on any side really. by hold g and firing at an direction its allows you barring 85 or above in height you can adjust the mortar accordingly to find the area you want to hit, now on a good day you will see me killing 6 at once when someone keeps a view on the enmy side so i get up to date info on enemy troop movements... otherwise your shooting blind.

however.. the mortar has 4 draw backs

1. ammo

2. protection from enemy vengence attack

3. required to use the map

4. your immobile when in position.

i suggest you find a place where the enemy cant shoot at you easy or at all, a place where you can fire your rounds without hitting any nearby landmarks, near a supply post and you have to be able to hear any person running around that is not on the map and be prepped to fight back.

i completely agree.... but if people on the same team who are field ops then they should stick around the mortar (then you get ammo and some protection)

the thing is every time ive been on the server no fops stay in one place. one time victress has the mortar and i was the f ops and this was on oasis, i just sat there supplied ammo and used myself as a meatshield from the odd enemy attack.. before HAM broke the record on that map, victress got a good 140-150kills before end of round.. so go figure how good it can be if you are willing to learn it well :P

On the 2nd goldrush map, the one with other optional ways to get to the objective instead of just the front door, I've seen mortarmen actually set up inside the room with the objective on one corner and kill people who come in on the top floor in the other corner.

That's pretty hilarious to walk into. :lol:

If anyone actually believes mortar is an easy weapon or a noob one they could not be anymore wrong. I think mortars are incredibly difficult. i believe panzer's are easy mode and a noob weapon. (that's why i never use them)

I generally avoid the medic class and Never use a panzer as they are easy mode. (to me anyway)

that's why you will see me run into a spawn of like 5 enemy's as a field ops and go down in a blaze of gun fire if im lucky i will get a air raid off before then but its always fun to go kamikaze and see how many i can take with me

im the run and gun take it to your enemy type of player (doesnt matter which side)

anyway mortar is not a noob weapon. i would much rather be killed by mortar then a panzer cause when i get killed by a mortar i just chuckle and wait to re spawn