mortars??

ChaosMarine

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Spec joe or baska or kill and see their angles.

Their are different angles u need to learn. Use command map aka G key. U can use bind/config to keep u command map open until u press that key back.

I have no problem if you want to spec me, also.

Some consider the mortar a newb weapon or a weapon of little skill.

Make no mistake....... the mortar is a powerful weapon that can help your team advance. But only.....I reapeat......ONLY if it is the right hands.

A skilled mortar doesn't just keep hitting one spot. They must be able to make both big and minute adjustments to be the most effective.

Also they need to know the strategic areas of the map to hit. Most will just go for the spawn..... ON EVERY SINGLE MAP. While this may get you the kills, most of the time your team will lose that map if that is the only spot you hit.

A good example is on Oasis. Most will try for either the Allies or Axis spawn. The key for Allies is to get the old city as quick as possible. Most mortars on Allies will try to get them right at the spawn door for Axis. The real key is to take away the supply line. While 1 can hit the spawn door, a 2nd mortar should be trying to hit the health/ammo at the old city. Take away the supply line and it is easier to take the city. Same after taking the old city. One can hit the spawn and the other should focus on either the exit of the cave or just outside of the Axis spawn. Axis on the other hand need to hit the bottleneck areas when defending both the old city and guns. Those would be the entrance to the room of the Allies command post while defending the city and then hitting the area of the old city wall after it has been dyno'd.

Each map is different, but over time you learn where to drop them in at.

Also.......keep in mind that if you are hitting their spawn, they have a couple of seconds where you can't kill them right after they spawn. Timing can be everything. On certain maps, the opponent doesn't re-spawn at the same time that your team does. So figuring out their re-spawn time is crucial. Once you do this, you can figure out WHEN they should be running through these bottleneck areas.

One thing that some don't realize is that the mortar has a built in "aimbot". Once you fire a mortar, pull up your command map and it will put a target marker on where your mortar hit.

Having a good Field-ops to keep you supplied helps. And I say "Thank You" almost each time someone feeds me.

That is all I am willing to reveal........I have to keep SOME secrets, you know. :twisted:

doc

doc, that was a very insightful post. I've played a good amount of ET in my time, and just never did much with the mortars. I've played with them a few times just to mess around, and that is about it.

I certainly know from being on the wrong end of one how powerful they can be.

I certainly know from being on the wrong end of one how powerful they can be.

Amen. Personally, I've always found the mortar to be intensely boring, even though I've never been completely awful with it... maybe I'll give it another go some time soon.

• Administrators

This will help a bit.

//----command map----
set mapout "+mapexpand; echo ^6Map ^7is now ^2expanded; set map vstr mapin"
set mapin "-mapexpand; echo ^6Map ^7 is now ^1OFF; set map vstr mapout"
set map "vstr mapout"
bind "g" "vstr map"

haha dare beat me to it but here is basically the same code:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//Command Map Toggle
//	keeps command map displayed until second keypress
//binds		'
set mapout "+mapexpand; +mapexpand; set togmap vstr mapin" 
set mapin "-mapexpand; -mapexpand; set togmap vstr mapout" 
set togmap "vstr mapout"
unbind '
bind ' "vstr togmap"

this code will keep your command map out so you don't have to hold a button down to see it. whenever you fire a mortar, except for your last shot when you run out of ammo, a marker appears where it hits. . so you can tell if you need to aim farther, nearer, to the left or right etc. with the script - mine or dares both do the same thing - you hit a button and command map stays out until you hit the same button again.

some key things about mortars:

***sometimes they are useless and your team could really use you more out on the front lines. know when to stop and be a little less shy.

example: at battery you may be allied mortar keeping the hill or the bunker clear so your engis can get the ramp built and capture the bunker. that's good - if teams are like 8-8 then a mortar is really strong offense for allies at that point. but when the allies capture the forward bunker, a mortar is useless. switch weapons and go help your team make their way inside.

***picking a good spot to mortar FROM is almost as important as where you are aiming. you are stationary and an enemy can easily sneak up and pop you, so usually ppl mortar near their spawn point, both to not have to travel far if you are killed and to get the protection of your re-spawned teammates. you also need to be able to hit your targets from your mortar spot - you need a good clear path so you don't just shoot your mortar rounds harmlessly into the sides of buildings. goldrush, for example, you can't just mortar from anywhere because of the tall bldgs all around, so find a place with plenty of open air in front of you. the higher off the ground you get the better your range will be.

***i agree with just about everything doc said. you don't want to just mortar the spawn point all the time - the other team will figure out soon enough what you are doing and take alternate routes. aim for choke points and OBJECTIVES. like doc's example at oasis: if you are allied mortar and you hear dyno planted at the wall or gun - aim at the wall or gun. your mortar barrage can keep the axis engineers away from the dyno one way or another, and that's alot more useful than killing 1 or 2 flat feet at the spawn. being successful at mortar takes an intuition for where the other team is likely to be. if you know that the other team is mowing down your m8s with an mg, aim for the mg. if your team plants dyno somewhere, mortar spam the dyno. aim for sniping spots, camping spots, etc - places where YOU would be if you were on the other team.. not just the spawn exits.

***if you are sitting there mortaring outside your spawn for a long time your teammates will probably get pissed at you as they go out and keep getting shot, with no backup. "why don't you stop being a wuss and come help us" they will think. kind of like ppl who jsut hide and snipe all the time, or medics who don't help their team. so don't be surprised if you don't have a FOP willing to spend his whole night giving you ammo while you try to learn how to be effective with the mortar. the FOP can be alot more ffective if he is giving ammo to medics, shooting ppl, and calling airstrikes to cover his engineers advance. handing out brick after brick to the ever-hungry mortar whore is just not the best thing for a FOP to be doing.. so when you run out of ammo, don't spend 2 minutes hitting V22. your already annoyed teammates will get madder at you for spamming for help. just kill yourself and POOF! a full clip. to hell with killing sprees.

so yeah - doc has good advice. more than anything mortaring takes practice - ppl who are good at mortar go to the same spots every time and aim at the same places.. i know if i sit on that rock and aim at 60-65 degrees i will fire right into the bunker.. etc. after you play around with it for a while and find some good spots to fire from, you will find it is not so hard to use. just try to learn a sense of when to use it and when you are wasting you and your team's time.

am sure plenty of ppl would be willing to show you some good spots - if you can catch me on ever i would =)

i like to mortar indoors. lets not talk about that =p

Hm.... I brought this post up in my browser, but it seems as though I can't read anything.

I guess I can't read it because I'm too busy enjoying my 40% accuracy.

mp40_2.jpg

Enjoy your mortar.

Their are different angles u need to learn. Use command map aka G key. U can use bind/config to keep u command map open until u press that key back.

Never thought to do that

Never thought to do that

same here

I got this off of planet wolfenstein.

Mortar: Big and clunky the Mortar is totally useless in close quarters combat. This is meant as a powerful support weapon for use in large open areas. To fire it you need to deploy it on the ground using alternate fire and aim trough a reticle that takes some getting used to. The mortars are lobbed in a curve towards its target so this reticle uses degrees instead of the normal "place the cursor over the target" approach. What's really nifty is that your impacts show up on the battle map so you can adjust your fire by looking at that. What's even niftier is that a Field Ops can assign targets for you to aim for. This makes it possible for the Mortar to be very dangerous for the enemy without its user getting in harms way. Tip: play through all the maps and find spots where you imagine mortar rounds could be effective, ie. near objectives that need to be built or areas where enemies tend to hang out in groups. Then equip the mortar and find different areas to fire at those targets from whilst memorizing the data in the reticle. For example: on the map Fuel Dump know where to fire from and how to hit near where the Allies are trying to construct the bridge. Or as Allies on the same map; memorize how to aim to send a few mortar volleys up on the hill where the Axis build their MG42 tower. Great fun when you get it right!