So I ordered an Intel i5-8400 today from newegg and instead an intel i5-8500 came in the mail. Anyone got any info on this because i never heard of it? Possibly rebranded i5-8400 or typo? I can't find any benchmarks or reviews on youtube or google on it and I definitely am not returning it lol

i5_8500.jpg

Edit: Found a review in french. It is just a lazy rebrand with a slightly higher core clock.

Edited by OnionKnight
  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

23 hours ago, cookiem0nster said:

yeah its just a very slight speed bump.

Depending on your motherboard you might be able to BCLK overclock it some, even though its not a -k edition cpu. Just FYI :P

Wait what? Really? Nice. Too bad I can't because it lives in a case the size of an xbox 360 (the heat is too much)

It seems to be a legit processor lol

https://ark.intel.com/products/129939/Intel-Core-i5-8500-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_10-GHz

6 cores tho??? You're set.

Here's some benchmarks

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8500-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8400/m447884vs3939

Edit: saw your edit after my post

Edited by Jobba
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yeah I overclocked an i5 8400 or 8500 I cant recall, by about 500 mhz without trying hard on a board that supported bclk overclocking. 500 isn't too shabby without trying. Could easily have hit 750, maybe 1000 with adjusting multipliers for everything else - this is more old school overclocking. Kids have it easy these days with just setting cpu multi to whatever they want

another thing to dump some heat (and power consumption and increase longevity) is to undervolt the cpu. Intel and AMD don't have time to fine tune every IC they send out, a lot of times the general voltage used is faily higher than necessary. An i5/i7 reduced .1 in vcore can drop several degrees often, if not more depending on the cooling used etc, and any motherboard not from an oem can do voltage adjustments. Just test for stability :) too much vcore change can make it unstable. Prime95 and cinebench are a couple free programs that can be good for testing stability, amongst many others. Tons of programs for monitoring voltage and temperatures too... Speccy is one that comes to mind, or use CPUz and GPUz if you want independent programs. I use that and others too - or you can use the intel extreme overclocking software for frequencies, voltages, temps, if the motherboard allows you can use it for mild overclocking or undervolting within windows... SMALL CHANGES then verify