W:ET Basic Scrim Guide - Enemy Territory

CSL

I was told to set cl_maxpackets to 30, to reduce lag, do you know how the setting works or whether cl_maxpackets 30 or cl_maxpackets 100 reduces your lag more?

People set their packets to 30 because it gives them a cute ping.. but cl_maxpackets 100 = more stability, less lag. Things like cl_maxpackets 30, cl_timenudge -20, etc. are dumb anyway because they mostly just cause you to be unhittable.

People set their packets to 30 because it gives them a cute ping.. but cl_maxpackets 100 = more stability, less lag. Things like cl_maxpackets 30, cl_timenudge -20, etc. are dumb anyway because they mostly just cause you to be unhittable.

It dependes on your computer and your network connection, and even your operating system.

cl_maxpackets 100 is not an improvement for everyone. For a slow computer or network, it can give you more lag than you would have with cl_maxpackets 30. This is why Dare put up that server banner last year telling people to use cl_maxpackets 30 to reduce lag.

A good rule of thumb if you have an older computer is to take your highest stable maxfps, divide it by two, and use that as your cl_maxpackets value. I often use maxfps 76 and cl_maxpackets 38 together on my old computer.

On my new computer, running Linux, I can run cl_maxpackets 100 with maxfps 125. But that would totally lag out my old computer.

Try different maxpackets and see which gives you better fps and better accuracy in-game.

It's common knowledge that a low-packet player warps when playing vs. a high-packet player. Why else would so many etpro servers restrict players to cl_maxpackets 100? It only seems like you have "better accuracy" and "less lag" when using 30 packets because you're literally making yourself harder to hit.

And I really don't think that crappy computers/connections NEED low packets to run ET.. I have a 4-year old computer with semi-decent internet, running 76 fps and 100 packets. Unless you have a 10-year old computer with dial-up, then I don't see a problem with 100 packets.

How computer hardware affects to cl_maxpackets? Isn't it totally just about internet connection, and with nowdays connections every player should be using 100. 1mb/512kb is really enought to have 100 maxpackets.

• 2 months later...

Ok so after a practice yesterday prety actual became question about spawnpoint script and class changing sript. In attachments there are 2 examples. 1 for spawnpoint script and 2nd for classchaging script. You can change buttons you bind and colors as you like. These are just 2 of options and I know there are a lot of them so feel free to suggest and share your scripts.

Btw class script is made by Jose. :)

If you have any questions post them here so everyone can fix the same problems if they have.

Autoexecclass.txt

Autoexecspawn.txt

Psst... http://fearless-assassins.com/topic/10103-wet-et-tutorial-pack/

(especially 06.Competitive ET and 07.Communication, gogo :P Insta skill boost, guaranteed! ^^)

Dunno if filedropper link is down, but MU works definetly.

P.S. Quotes from ReadMe file:

06. Competitive ET

------------------

Includes:

1 video (23min 29s)

2 text files

Description:

One text file tells some general things about competitive ET/scrimming' date=' and another text file explains why you want to do those things what are shown in video. In video, there is 2 sections: Basic things(0min 0s--->4min 40s) and Advanced things(4min 40s--->23min 29s). Basic things are mostly bindings like spawnpoint selector, class selector etc. and Advanced things are more practical things like pushing out, figuring out enemy's spawntime, using grenades etc.[/quote']

07. Communication:

------------------

Includes:

2 videos (6min 19s) and (3min 12s)

Description:

This is like Competitive ET part 2. Shorter video is just Communication Example -video' date=' but another one focus mainly to how to control the game.[/quote']

Edited by BossHK

Psst... http://fearless-assassins.com/topic/10103-wet-et-tutorial-pack/

(especially 06.Competitive ET and 07.Communication, gogo :P Insta skill boost, guaranteed! ^^)

Dunno if filedropper link is down, but MU works definetly.

P.S. Quotes from ReadMe file:

omg Boss...missed this one somehow :D

It's common knowledge that a low-packet player warps when playing vs. a high-packet player. Why else would so many etpro servers restrict players to cl_maxpackets 100? It only seems like you have "better accuracy" and "less lag" when using 30 packets because you're literally making yourself harder to hit.

And I really don't think that crappy computers/connections NEED low packets to run ET.. I have a 4-year old computer with semi-decent internet, running 76 fps and 100 packets. Unless you have a 10-year old computer with dial-up, then I don't see a problem with 100 packets.

Most people playing pro don't have shitty computers, this is why its restricted to 100.

cl_maxpackets give you the ability to send an update every frame or every 2 frames, 3 frames, or 4 frames (and so-on) which means that the amount of packets you send is still roughly connected to your frames per second.

Someone receiving (and capping) at a constant 125 fps (com_maxfps 125), with maxpackets 100, is sending 1 update to the server every 2 client frames - i.e. they receive no difference in connection as someone with settings between cl_maxpackets 63 and 100 (inclusive) so long as their FPS remains constant - they will always send 63 updates to the server a second. IOW, for com_maxfps 125, cl_maxpackets 63 = cl_maxpackets 100

Therefore, for com_maxfps 125, cl_maxpackets 30 will send 1 update every 5 client frames - i.e. cl_maxpackets 30 can = cl_maxpackets 25

Here's the deal:

What you send IN those packets are your moves. What maxpackets does is divvy up those moves into chunks. So at MP 60ish, you get two moves into each packet; at 40ish it's 3, and so on, but *you always send the same number of total moves regardless*. Higher MP "feels better" (especially for LPBs) because it means the *server's* getting updated more frequently, so you and it have views "closer" to each other, which is always a good thing: it's analogous to the improvement that higher sv_fps from the server to you brings.

It's all about the MOVES, and those are 8ms apart, so even at MP 25 you're only getting 3 per packet. In VQ3, a 320ups snail is going to move a whopping 13 units in that time, which isn't even half a player width.

The only advantage to low MP is that you save the UDP framing overhead of the extra packets. Frankly, that overhead is absolutely tiny, and given how much of the *upstream* Q3 conn is empty, nobody should be using 30 except for the most horrifically bandwidth-challenged.

IIRC, the upper limit of 100 rather than 125 is id-enforced by the exe itself. Interestingly enough (and I can't believe nobody's tried this yet)that may well mean that maxfps 100 would actually provide the optimal c/s sync.

It would take someone with iX-class skills to tell if it had any real impact on pmove_fixed movement or not: there'd definitely be SOME differences, but 125fps has been damn close to redundant for CPMA/OSP since January.

The best people to see if it makes a difference to the sync are the LG gods, in the same way that going from MP 30 to 60 affected the LG most.

Where low MaxPackets make people skippy is basically just "unlucky" timing between the most recent moves arriving from the player and the server's most recent snapshot to the other players. Player movement is OOB - it's dealt with as soon as it arrives; it's only that it doesn't *update* back out to everyone until the next snap. So if you have one of those packets delayed by even 25ms (pretty common - my SHIT conn has a flux of about 60ms even to servers I ping <30 to) then you'll get a server frame at t then 6 moves applied to it at t+5, which is the reality. So if you use smoothclients and/or -ve TN on YOUR client, you'll have them pseudo-predicted quite a long way off in one direction which may well not be the right one: if they're dodging around, there'll be a noticeable amount of correction when you get the next snap.

In case it isn't obvious, this is something else that higher sv_fps improves (though only up to a point).

Most people playing pro don't have shitty computers, this is why its restricted to 100.

cl_maxpackets give you the ability to send an update every frame or every 2 frames, 3 frames, or 4 frames (and so-on) which means that the amount of packets you send is still roughly connected to your frames per second.

Someone receiving (and capping) at a constant 125 fps (com_maxfps 125), with maxpackets 100, is sending 1 update to the server every 2 client frames - i.e. they receive no difference in connection as someone with settings between cl_maxpackets 63 and 100 (inclusive) so long as their FPS remains constant - they will always send 63 updates to the server a second. IOW, for com_maxfps 125, cl_maxpackets 63 = cl_maxpackets 100

Therefore, for com_maxfps 125, cl_maxpackets 30 will send 1 update every 5 client frames - i.e. cl_maxpackets 30 can = cl_maxpackets 25

Here's the deal:

What you send IN those packets are your moves. What maxpackets does is divvy up those moves into chunks. So at MP 60ish, you get two moves into each packet; at 40ish it's 3, and so on, but *you always send the same number of total moves regardless*. Higher MP "feels better" (especially for LPBs) because it means the *server's* getting updated more frequently, so you and it have views "closer" to each other, which is always a good thing: it's analogous to the improvement that higher sv_fps from the server to you brings.

It's all about the MOVES, and those are 8ms apart, so even at MP 25 you're only getting 3 per packet. In VQ3, a 320ups snail is going to move a whopping 13 units in that time, which isn't even half a player width.

The only advantage to low MP is that you save the UDP framing overhead of the extra packets. Frankly, that overhead is absolutely tiny, and given how much of the *upstream* Q3 conn is empty, nobody should be using 30 except for the most horrifically bandwidth-challenged.

IIRC, the upper limit of 100 rather than 125 is id-enforced by the exe itself. Interestingly enough (and I can't believe nobody's tried this yet)that may well mean that maxfps 100 would actually provide the optimal c/s sync.

It would take someone with iX-class skills to tell if it had any real impact on pmove_fixed movement or not: there'd definitely be SOME differences, but 125fps has been damn close to redundant for CPMA/OSP since January.

The best people to see if it makes a difference to the sync are the LG gods, in the same way that going from MP 30 to 60 affected the LG most.

Where low MaxPackets make people skippy is basically just "unlucky" timing between the most recent moves arriving from the player and the server's most recent snapshot to the other players. Player movement is OOB - it's dealt with as soon as it arrives; it's only that it doesn't *update* back out to everyone until the next snap. So if you have one of those packets delayed by even 25ms (pretty common - my SHIT conn has a flux of about 60ms even to servers I ping <30 to) then you'll get a server frame at t then 6 moves applied to it at t+5, which is the reality. So if you use smoothclients and/or -ve TN on YOUR client, you'll have them pseudo-predicted quite a long way off in one direction which may well not be the right one: if they're dodging around, there'll be a noticeable amount of correction when you get the next snap.

In case it isn't obvious, this is something else that higher sv_fps improves (though only up to a point).

+1

+ picture about fps/maxpackets relationship:

"look up table for the number of packets sent by a q3 client every second, given com_maxfps and cl_maxpackets."

http://www.challenge-tv.com/putty/q3table.html

Not really, there are actually many etpro players with shitty computers, and that is not at all the reason why it is restricted. As I've said before, ask anyone who plays etpro competitively why cl_maxpackets 100 = better.

=F|A=Incom!ng is correct about the calculation of how many packets are really sent.

There is actually a thread at the etpro forums with information about the cl_maxpackets. Yes, it can make peoples moves a bit more choppy when they have it very low, but no other effect.

Many of the config restrictions are just about cutting out bitching like that from the game. Like in this thread, big discussion about cl_maxpackets when it doesn't make a big difference in etpro. Yes, like I said already, the player moves can become a little more choppy and thus they can be a bit harder to aim.

About warping, I would go to the source and read the testimonys from the developers and top players from etpro. There is no warping with low cl_maxpackets.

hi, just wanted to say if this:

"Dynowatch: Cool program, dynamite counter"

u posted there in the tuto in tips ,

ehmmm just , whats the point to have a dyno counter, and 2nd is it "legal" to use?

i mean i read somewhere in crossfire it isnt allowed , cuz well its an external program to et..

just i never used a dyno counter cuz well u can simply see when u plant ur mission time and do the maths (30 secs)

so i find it a bit pointless and risky to use that , and well just wanted to be sure if thats allowed to use.

@bosshk

ur tutorial download link is broken, i am curious to see what u wrote/ video etc there but cant download.

this is the specific broken link

"Here are links to download it and approximated times how long it takes to download if you are downloading with fullspeed of your connection:

1,13gb(Whole pack): http://www.filedropp.../ettutorialpack

"

hmm well i cannot make it work just takes me to filedropper homepage lol. hit me in xfire.

hi, just wanted to say if this:

"Dynowatch: Cool program, dynamite counter"

u posted there in the tuto in tips ,

ehmmm just , whats the point to have a dyno counter, and 2nd is it "legal" to use?

i mean i read somewhere in crossfire it isnt allowed , cuz well its an external program to et..

just i never used a dyno counter cuz well u can simply see when u plant ur mission time and do the maths (30 secs)

so i find it a bit pointless and risky to use that , and well just wanted to be sure if thats allowed to use.

@bosshk

ur tutorial download link is broken, i am curious to see what u wrote/ video etc there but cant download.

this is the specific broken link

"Here are links to download it and approximated times how long it takes to download if you are downloading with fullspeed of your connection:

1,13gb(Whole pack): http://www.filedropp.../ettutorialpack

"

hmm well i cannot make it work just takes me to filedropper homepage lol. hit me in xfire.

1. Dyno counter is illegal on ladders/cups.

2. Ye, that filedropper link is not working(think its expired, since I haven't account there) and it was mainly made to avoid some traffic problems at beginning. Need to re-upload or remove that link later. BUT MegaUpload links are working 100% (remember to download both parts, it seems that some people have dloaded only part1 :pp)

Edited by BossHK