hunkusage.dat

Daddy

Hey guys, today the server kiked me with this error "cannot write to hunkusage.dat

What is? how i can fix it?

After i put the new tag =F|A= in my name, i was been kicked....with this mensage: cannot write to hunkusage.dat

:(

u might just need admin level its sounds like the server auto kicked you after u added tags without a recruiter etc giving you admin is all :hmm

But the brothers adm told me to i put self the tag in my nickname

you cant put tags until your level is set or the server will boot you off 

ask any recruiter + to set you up 

• Like 1

you cant put tags until your level is set or the server will boot you off 

ask any recruiter + to set you up 

I saw he had level 11 but without tags then i told him to put it on

• Leader

The hunkusage.dat file in my jaymod folder seems to list all of the maps that I have played and perhaps the kb or hunks that they used.

"Cannot write to Hunkusage.dat" probably meant that ET did not have permission to write to that file in your ET installation.  You probably need to "start ET as admin".

Mine is in this format and lists 127 maps.  I have 3 versions of GoldRush in the file.

maps/fueldump_christmas.bsp 49168288
maps/eagles_2ways_b3.bsp 41214976
maps/transmitter.bsp 50557248
maps/cortex_who.bsp 47590752
maps/axislab_final.bsp 46544032
maps/railgun.bsp 44912512
maps/railgun.bsp 44912512
maps/fueldump_uvf.bsp 47824960
maps/frost_final.bsp 23272128
maps/subway.bsp 39624576
maps/glider.bsp 39389408

++ many more ++

also found this 

Don't know the exact cuase of that error, but hunkusage.dat is a file associated with how much memory the game uses. A couple of things you could try would be:-

1) If there's a file called hunkusage.dat in the etmain folder, delete it (E.T. will create a new one automatically).

2) Look in the file \etmain\profiles\yourname\etconfig.cfg for the line seta com_hunkmegs nnn, where nnn is a number representing the amount of RAM allocated to the game. As you've got 256Mb RAM this number shouldn't be more than 128. If it is, lower it. If you continue to have problems keep on lowering it (128 -> 120 -> 112, etc.) If the line doesn't exist in the first place, add it.

Note: every time you adjust the value of com_hunkmegs, you should delete the hunkusage.dat file.

• Like 2

Sidenote, even with admin rights et might fail to access hunkusage.dat if antivirus blocks it for the period of scanning. I've stumbled upon that problem several times with different AVs but then again it's rare :)

um what o/s are you using ..

and did u create a folder on desktop when u installed et or did u let it create one?

+ set com_hunkMegs "128" + set com_zoneMegs "64" + set com_soundMegs "160

that line should be in target after / c wolfe et.

"C:\Users\daddy\Desktop\my et\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" + set com_hunkMegs "128" + set com_zoneMegs "64" + set com_soundMegs "160"

Those values above wouldn't work... soundMegs and zoneMegs pull from Hunk. For those values, Hunkmegs would need a value like 320.

But honestly, sounds like admin rights problem.

• Like 1

• Leader

I vaguely recall having to fix an ET problem years ago by deleting the file.  It just got recreated and started filling up again after that.

HA!  I just re-found D..X's source...that last line surprised me, but it does confirm that deleting the file is harmless.  Now I wonder if the that problem I mentioned above was created by my own changes to megs early in my ET career.  :D

...hmmm, I have a file in my Jaymod folder name "hunkusage#140317'cantWriteTo'.dat" dated 3/17/14.  It only has 100 lines.  My current file there has 127 lines. I have a file "hunkusageNoWrite.dat" in Silent, with the same date....My NQ and NoQuarter folders both just have the "hunkusage.dat" files, but they are newer than the folders.  I may have just deleted those files later.  The Hunk file in my ETmain has only 3 lines in it, perhaps from running a local server.  That one does have the time & date of the last time I started ET.  That seems true for each mod's hunk-files. Each seems time-stamped with the last time that I played the mod on a server.

also found this 

Note: every time you adjust the value of com_hunkmegs, you should delete the hunkusage.dat file.

• Like 1

• Leader

I looked at the source code and found these items:

====================
CL_SetExpectedHunkUsage

Sets com_expectedhunkusage, so the client knows how to draw the percentage bar
====================

====================
CL_UpdateLevelHunkUsage

This updates the "hunkusage.dat" file with the current map and it's hunk usage count

This is used for level loading, so we can show a percentage bar dependant on the amount  of hunk memory allocated so far

This will be slightly inaccurate if some settings like sound quality are changed, but these  things should only account for a small variation (hopefully)
====================

ET reads the number and when the map is fully loaded, it saves the actual hunk size used back into the file.  If ET does not have admin rights to write into the Program Files folder system, then it will give an error.

Some errors that the program tests for are below:

"file is corrupt"

"cannot create"

"cannot write to "

"cannot write to hunkusage.dat, check disk full

If HunkUsage.dat does not exist or the map name is not found in it, then the Loading Bar won't be displayed.

Edited by RedBaird
t-typo
  • Like 2