The madness of Garrosh Hellscream

Koen

“Garrosh Hellscream,” said Taran Zhu. “You have been tried in a formal court of Pandaren law. Before the jury begins its deliberation on your fate, is there anything you wish to say, to me, to the jury, or to any spectators?”

Garrosh regarded the crowd as if seeing them for the first time. He turned in a tight circle as he looked around the ring, pausing here and there for a moment. At one point, he locked gazes with Anduin, and something flickered across his face.

“Yes,” he said, his voice strong, carrying easily in the large space. “I do have something to say. Honorable Taran Zhu. August Celestials. Spectators from all across Azeroth. I have heard everything you have heard. I have seen what you have seen.”

He moved to face Tyrande, who sat quietly, perfectly composed. “Tyrande Whisperwind has presented a strong and damning case against me. A case that has roused some of you to anger, and thoughts of revenge. Thoughts of my death. I do not blame you for hungering for that.”

He gave Tyrande a slight smirk, then turned to his Defender. Baine too looked composed, though somewhat more grim than Tyrande. “Baine Bloodhoof, who has little enough cause to do so, has with great earnestness presented a case not protesting my innocence, but asking for your understanding. For your compassion. For you, the jury and the spectators, to look within your own hearts, and see that no one is completely free from blame.”

Then, to Anduin’s surprise, Garrosh turned to face him. “And Prince Anduin Wrynn, who by all rights should be foremost among those clamoring for my death, has chosen to spend hours in my company. I attempted to slay him, in a brutal, cruel, and painful manner. And what does he do?” Garrosh shook his head, as if in disbelief. “He speaks to me of the Light. He tells me he believes that I can change. He has shown me kindness when I offered hatred and violence. It is because of him that I stand before you, facing what I expect to be a pronouncement of my death, as a warrior, not as a broken slave.”

He lifted his shackled hands, and gave Anduin a slight bow before turning to face the crowd once more. “Oh, yes. I know full well how much blood is on my hands. I know exactly the magnitude and the consequences of what I have done.” He took a deep breath and seemed to be gathering his thoughts. Anduin leaned forward, not wanting to hope, but hoping wildly, beautifully, anyway.

“And now, here at this moment, when I am free to speak my mind and heart, I tell you true: I regret . . .”

His laughter rang through the arena.

“Nothing!”

Anduin forgot to breathe. He felt cold, numb. He sat, staring at Garrosh, for a moment unable to mentally process the words. Sound hammered on his ears, the outraged cries of a furious public. Taran Zhu struck the gong futilely, calling for order.

But Garrosh, it seemed, had only begun. He lifted his shackled arms and bellowed, “Yes! Yes! I would destroy a thousand Theramores, if it would bring the Alliance to its knees! I would hunt down every night elf whelp that bleats on the face of this world and silence their mewling forever! I would banish every troll, every tauren, every simpering blood elf and greedy goblin and shambling walking corpse if it were within my power—and it almost was!”

Anduin realized his father had been repeating his name. He looked over at Varian unsteadily, overwhelmed with shock and disillusionment. “Anduin,” Varian said for perhaps the third time. “Come on. Go’el wants to talk to us and I think I know why.”

Go’el stood near the entrance. As he met Anduin’s gaze, he jerked his head slightly toward the corridor that led outside. Anduin nodded, licking his lips and shaking his head as he and Varian threaded their way to the stairs. On the floor below, Garrosh continued. Anduin clenched his jaw. How could he have believed Garrosh could change?

“The only ‘atrocities’ I regret are the ones I did not perform!” the orc shouted, grinning ferociously at the turmoil his words had caused. “The only thing that preys on me is that I was stopped before I could see the true Horde live again!”