ET Server Suggestion FA Hardcore-- a few suggestions

emaL

I've said it before but I highly suggest the removal of KR all together.  It's an inaccurate statistic that does absolutely nothing but give a false representation of even teams. 

Besides, the lack of KR will encourage players to actually play the game rather than worrying about getting cheap kills to increase some silly number on a scoreboard that doesn't even accurately represent how well they play. I imagine this will improve game play.

Admins should be evening teams using /scores anyway, right? So what is the point of having it?  

If this isn't possible, at the very least replace it with a real Kill/Death ratio that is actually the amounts of kills and deaths. 

• Like 1

I must admit that I do not know a great deal about the kr v kdr debate.

I find our current system to be roughly an accurate representation of a person's skill level. If we can improve upon it: great.

Similarly I find the autoshuffle to be mostly just fine. Something I hope we can all agree on, though, is that lower ranked admins can't shuffle. So understandably as a regular, 4, I don't have those privileges but when we need a shuffle I see admins have to call votes to get a shuffle. I feel like that's a necessary power for them to have. I think the shuffle vote success rate is considerably less than 50%. This could fix the auto shuffle problem because an admin could just shuffle again if the teams are wonky. Just some thoughts

If someone wants to talk about the glitch where you can't shoot after going prone that wouldn't be bad either :D

As described in another thread: I am one of those players who plays for fun and nothing bothers them. I think I take it pretty serious as far as how much I apply myself in game but it's all for fun and I do my best to allow the quirks of the game to be quirks and not things that enrage me. I do not particularly enjoy the panzer so I don't use it. I get frustrated with 1 man panzer kamikazes but I just pity the technique rather than name calling or petitioning for the outright removal of that which I don't like. On the other hand though: I truly respect the panzer that takes out me and 5 other guys at once. Or when the guy in front of you steps out and catches a rocket to the face and he pink mists inches in front of you. That's something that belongs in the game

Some perspective I've gathered about this game recently is that it's one of the fastest paced games I've ever played. With a limited selection of weapons we really level the playing field down to skill and it's chaos. My brother is a very diverse video game player and is a beast to see in overwatch and he say's this game is "frantic". I think a lot of the stuff that people complain about could be a little smoothed out, which is to be expected in an old game, but are honestly the things that make this game so unique and why we are still playing it after this many years.

I agree that lower-level admins should be able to shuffle. It's the most consistently-needed command.

If someone wants to talk about the glitch where you can't shoot after going prone that wouldn't be bad either :D

That's not a glitch. You have to make sure you're not moving as you prone. It's the same everywhere on ET. There's even a script you can use (pretty unnecessary) that will unbind all movement keys as you prone, to avoid the issue.
  • Like 1

I find myself in disagreement with all suggestions. Or well, I don't care much for the third (the bot thing).

Autoshuffle sometimes breaks up perfectly balanced teams, which is a downside. It does not outweigh the upsides: 1) In case of low team fixing compliance, it does fix the teams every 2 maps at least. Try voting for a shuffle, you'll find that very, very few people F1 even during sheer and utter domination by one team over the other. 2) Changing the teams even when they are balanced changes the game dynamics. You interact with different people differently and it will change the game feeling. It's part of what makes ET less tedious when you play it often.

As for KR, there are some people who do well at abusing how it works to gain a high score that does not reflect their ability to beat players of equal KR, and there are some people who simply do not care for the objective and are thus not of equal value to similarly KR'd players who are objective-minded. Nevertheless, I feel KR is still somewhat indicative of a player's value and it does quite often produce good teams. Before everybody swaps, goes to spectate, etcetera, anyway...

Rik

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

1. The automatic shuffle that happens every few maps is terrible. It breaks up teams that actually have a good vibe and just keeps a constant rotation that typically requires admin intervention regardless. Is there a way to set a threshold on imbalance or at least only force the shuffle when the number of players on each team is completely out of whack between maps? I've seen many great games get ruined by the out-of-whack autoshuffle.

2. In that same vein, can KR tracking be switched to KDR? Shuffles will be more accurate, and KR seems like such a weird and random statistic that isn't really based on anything substantial.

3. Bots with heavy weapons = terrible. Is it possible to restrict that?

Would love some feedback, thanks.

1. Doable and perfect idea. By any chance you have code for it bud? You can write it using LUA and 5.3 is what we support right now. I can change it as soon as you have working code. 

2. Please see above. We already have a topic for it - https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/92112-change-kr-kill-ratio-to-kdr-killdeath-ratio/

3. Doable. Working on it. 

• Like 4

1. Doable and perfect idea. By any chance you have code for it bud? You can write it using LUA and 5.3 is what we support right now. I can change it as soon as you have working code. 

2. Please see above. We already have a topic for it - https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/92112-change-kr-kill-ratio-to-kdr-killdeath-ratio/

3. Doable. Working on it. 

What about restricting heavy weapon on certain maps such as delivery which is proven they do more harm and chaos than good.

• Administrators

What about restricting heavy weapon on certain maps such as delivery which is proven they do more harm and chaos than good.

I think it's already limited? Which heavy weapons need limitation? We already have 1 panzer. We can play around with other heavy weapons. 

• Platinum VIP

I think it's already limited? Which heavy weapons need limitation? We already have 1 panzer. We can play around with other heavy weapons.

if Im on the same line as ani here I am pretty sure he meant for example flamethrowers lighting up the whole controllroom killing 1-3 teammates and inflicting over 1000 team damage over the course of the map

• Like 2

• Administrators

if Im on the same line as ani here I am pretty sure he meant for example flamethrowers lighting up the whole controllroom killing 1-3 teammates and inflicting over 1000 team damage over the course of the map

We only have 1 flamer available through any map on HC. I see flamer can be useful when 3-4 people are inside the room and someone wants to defend the team? If someone does it intentionally boot them up since it's hardcore and then they can play on silent1? 

We only have 1 flamer available through any map on HC. I see flamer can be useful when 3-4 people are inside the room and someone wants to defend the team? If someone does it intentionally boot them up since it's hardcore and then they can play on silent1? 

Like Desti mentioned above, the problem is that the flamer normally gets picked up by less experienced players who are not aware of gamplay and just purely kill entire axis defence with flamer going thro all the rooms, and map gets done quickly in favor of allies, same goes sometimes with panzer, way too much teamkill each time this map is on for example. I would honestly in my expertise remove it completely from such maps as delivery, since its already crowded and there's not one case where a flame wouldnt teambleed at least one teammate, because in every room there will be at least one axis defending it, making gameflow and gameplay of defending on this map less chaotic and sparing the massive teambleeding.

Like Desti mentioned above, the problem is that the flamer normally gets picked up by less experienced players who are not aware of gamplay and just purely kill entire axis defence with flamer going thro all the rooms, and map gets done quickly in favor of allies, same goes sometimes with panzer, way too much teamkill each time this map is on for example. I would honestly in my expertise remove it completely from such maps as delivery, since its already crowded and there's not one case where a flame wouldnt teambleed at least one teammate, because in every room there will be at least one axis defending it, making gameflow and gameplay of defending on this map less chaotic and sparing the massive teambleeding.

I know this is an issue so I will encourage my HC admin crew to be more vigilant with !warning and eventually !putting them to spec to force them to change weapon if they continue. I would rather this option than limiting them as some people are genuinely good flamers.

• Like 2

Mortar! I think it was limited to one a few years ago, but that limit seems to be removed now. It can totally break certain maps (such as Italy) to have two mortars firing in the same area.

• Administrators

Mortar! I think it was limited to one a few years ago, but that limit seems to be removed now. It can totally break certain maps (such as Italy) to have two mortars firing in the same area.

It's limit to 2 as of now. I just checked. I believe it was one but someone mentioned that mostly newbies use that fast and experienced players cant use it so it was changed to 2.

• Like 1