Something's Not Right

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

why 150? If you want to run your game optimally you need to choose a max_fps that in the range of round_down(1000/N) where N is a positive integer. A small theoretical list:

1000/1=1000

1000/2=500

1000/3=333

1000/4=250

1000/5=200

1000/6=166

1000/7=142

1000/8=125

1000/9=111

1000/10=100

Some special ones:

1000/13=76 (default option)

1000/14=71 (recoil script)

1000/23=43 (default option)

next step: maxpackets. Your max packets value should always be in the range of round_up(maxfps/N) where N is again a positive integer value. Optimally you would want to use 125 maxpackets on a 125 maxfps but ET doesnt support anything above 100 maxpackets.

Therefore if you want to make optimal use of your bandwidth you should either:

com_maxfps 125; cl_maxpackets 63

com_maxfps 100; cl_maxpackets 100

All of this is assuming you have stable fps and this also partially explains how an unstable fps afffects your gameplay since your max_packets doesnt adjust to your constant change in fps. However if you make optimal use of your bandwith (defined by /rate as well) you will have a better shot at keeping your fps stable

My max_packets are set to 100 in my cfg, dropped fps to 150, getting 166 steady, Definitely helped, but I can drop to 125, no problem. I thought, but wasn't sure if 125 was best or higher FPS was better. My question is, where do you figure out what N should be in your examples?

Edited by -=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

My max_packets are set to 100 in my cfg, dropped fps to 150, getting 166 steady, Definitely helped, but I can drop to 125, no problem. I thought, but wasn't sure if 125 was best or higher FPS was better. My question is, where do you figure out what N should be in your examples?

generally you decide N by trial and error, if you notice no changes to your fps stability and/or ping you can try to lower your N value (note that the two N values I mentioned DONT need to be identical at all!). However in the case of ET I wouldnt go above 200 fps, maybe even 200 is too high to run well

if i'm not mistaken  125 fps is  default or it could be  60 i'm not sure i never really played et without a cfg  i got mine  8 years ago but before that i was using  manual command to change  maxpacked and fps

I used to play silEnT with 333 FPS and then 250 after the limit was changed. I never experienced any issues there. Perhaps you should try playing there with 250 FPS so you can see if it's just Jaymod not being able to handle it or if there's something else wrong.

• Platinum VIP

I used to play silEnT with 333 FPS and then 250 after the limit was changed. I never experienced any issues there. Perhaps you should try playing there with 250 FPS so you can see if it's just Jaymod not being able to handle it or if there's something else wrong.

That's a good idea. I'll set up my Silent cfg to 250 and see. 

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

So far, better. Dropping FPS to 150 helped a lot. Do you think with a bigger monitor I should increase crosshair size a bit? Or does 40 seem right?

• Platinum VIP

i would play around with it i don't really us a crosshair just the dot i think the crosshair gets in the way 

Yeah same here, just a dot.

What exactly does turning off Threaded Optimization do for ET?

Yeah same here, just a dot.

What exactly does turning off Threaded Optimization do for ET?

Threaded Optimization: This setting controls the use of multithreaded optimization for games on systems with multi-core/HyperThreaded CPUs. In theory, by allowing the driver to offload certain GPU-related processing tasks as separate thread(s) on available CPU cores, performance can be improved.

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

So far, better. Dropping FPS to 150 helped a lot. Do you think with a bigger monitor I should increase crosshair size a bit? Or does 40 seem right?

it kind of depends, if you are the same distance away from your screen you will see the crosshair in the same way. If just seeing the crosshair is enough for you then that should be fine. I know some people like to have a crosshair around the size of an enemy head, which would mean you need to increase your crosshairsize as well with (new screen diagonal/old screen diagonal) * current crosshairsize (I think?). However if you are now sitting further away from your screen I guess you kind of have to try some shit out to find what you want because I cba to calculate 3 dimensional distances from different angles right now.

In other words: don't change shit unless you have trouble seeing your crosshair or if it doesnt have the size relative to the enemy body that you like 

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

Threaded Optimization: This setting controls the use of multithreaded optimization for games on systems with multi-core/HyperThreaded CPUs. In theory, by allowing the driver to offload certain GPU-related processing tasks as separate thread(s) on available CPU cores, performance can be improved.

Then is it a bad thing?

Then is it a bad thing?

Make a shortcut.

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "ET" /high /affinity 2 "I:\WOLF\ET.exe***" +connect hardcore.clan-fa.com:27960

*change on your own path

• Like 1

Make a shortcut.

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "ET" /high /affinity 2 "I:\WOLF\ET.exe***" +connect hardcore.clan-fa.com:27960

*change on your own path

That won't work regarding threaded optimization, because it is a GPU setting. It needs to be set in the nVidia Control Panel.

But for setting a specific CPU core, that would.

• Like 1