ET Trick Jumping

Achilles90

After much thought and peer pressure I have finally started a thread on this underdiscussed and major selling point of this game. Trick jumping. 

I wanted to start this thread to discuss some theory and specific jumps. I plan to try to regularly post short clips of jumps and exploits that I find and explain how they are done. Especially in an objective based match the ability to travel across the map faster than the other team can turn the tables on a match. These are highly utilizable skills and not to mention darn fun.

For those who have never played the map lnarun it is a timerun map made up of like 30 jumps from frag maps. Things like jumping over the wall in oasis are in this map. This is a short video of a pro running through this map, it is truly perfection.

I feel it's important to mention that that is actual game speed so compare that to how you travel through maps. In this video skepty does a lot of these jumps the hard way but the faster way and also strings quite a few of them together. Amazing everytime I watch it

• Like 8

That being said I have had some trouble figuring out this demo recording thing and I have made my first, horrible, attempt

I need to redo this one a couple times to get a better video. For some reason, ontop of my computer's troubles just recording something like this while playing I have only managed to upload it at like 30 fps in 400p so I thoroughly apologize. The next one will be better but this is cool to show:

This is one of my favorite jumps that I have never seen anyone else do ever. My computer lags and it looks like I stop but the ups meter shows I'm still traveling fast. It just lagged when I bounced

https://youtu.be/SjC9tLYa6OY

EDIT it seems the upload is even worse than before because it restarts for some reason. But it does show the jumps I was demonstrating and the distance traveled as a result.

Edited by Achilles90
  • Like 2

awsome tho i think mouse settings must be right to tj .. pretty impossible at stock settings :huh: ..could you possibly incorporate .appropriate settings .fps ? mouse settings?

first video is awsome!!!!!!never trust a 50 % acc in et :wub: .lol

• Like 1

I've taken down my intial jump video and reuploaded a better version. Because I can't edit older posts I can't fix the post above.

The physics of this game are unique and probably one of the best parts which is why I find it funny to see really good players hardly utilize these aspects regardless of the edge it provides.

@captnconcrete this video was recorded live, ingame against real people on the FA HC server. My fps drops because of the weird way demos are recorded in ET. My dpi is 1000 my sens is 2.25 everything else is pretty stock apart from turning my graphics down

the video of skepty was recorded in a very similar setting in the et jump mod. The only real difference between et jump and something in jaymod is unlimited adrenaline. I can move that fast on the FA HC server but I'm not nearly as smooth, skepty's run was flawless.

• Like 1

This is a jump that I find exceedingly pleasurable. Landing on the truck fender launches you to the other catwalk which can be both useful and surprising

While the above jump is more advanced here is a jump absolutely everyone should know in frostbite:

Edited by Achilles90
  • Like 2

Something super simple to know is the function of ramps in the quake engine. If you hit the ground right infront of the planter in the goldrush bank courtyard: you are propelled upwards. The faster you are going when you make that bounce the higher you can be launched.

A super simple demonstration of this:

It's admittedly very fun and occasionally catches someone by surprise as any irrational movements seem to do

Shout out to MikeSlayer... Sorry Mike :/

Keep checking back, maybe you'll be in my next video :D

• Like 2

Have you played Quake 3/Quakelive? Since it's the same engine, you can really get a stripped down feel for trickjumping. The game is like a faster paced and more arcadey version of ET, and I remember coming back to ET with an even better feel for the engine. It was a great way to practice plus get some variety.

• Like 3

I see a lot of people attempt this back ramp jump out of allies spawn in adlernest but understandable when some of the fresher faces don't have the mechanics down but when the veterans still don't have it it irks me because it's really simple and it helps. Being a little obsessive of things I try to take some of this stuff as far as possible so I don't expect most people to put this much effort but this is a nice example of what CAN be done:

This is honestly a trash attempt to. If you notice we hadn't even managed objective yet, someone just nabbed the cp so I got one chance to record this. I'll put a better one up eventually. If you notice there's a raised platform to the left of the bottom of the ramp. If you bounce onto the corner of the platform your guy will stumble and fall off the edge at like 700 ups in this instance so quake engine lets you bounce again and continue your chain jump. It's tricky to get but as you see here I hit the wall on the other side of the room. For a better attempt I make it into the next room there as well as there being advantages to moving twice as fast as people can sprint.

@emaL: I came out of playing Unreal Tournament 2003 which while using the unreal engine was originally based off of quake. While not the same unreal was really about the jumping although they had many kinds of dodges. A bunch of people I played with took time off of ut2k3 to play ET at some point and that's when I first got into this. That being said: in school we would sometimes install quake on a bunch of the computers and have a lan match in class. I enjoyed it a great deal. I like tournament death match and booster pads, lots of fun.

EDIT: 
For those of you this interests suggest maps or jumps that interest you. I'll do my best to demonstrate and explain as many as I can. There are some really imaginative ones out there my personal preference is for directly applicable and useful jumps but I do enjoy a challenge as well. I would love to get a whole group of people together to run through a map or two. That's always a fun thing to do

Edited by Achilles90
  • Like 3

I LOVE that adlernest jump, so much fun. Nice videos, Achilles. I have the same type of love for the movement in this game, though probably not to the same intensity as you. Lot of times I start up ET, /devmap whatever im feeling, and just run around because I love the engine so much. Especially the supply TJ's coming out of allied CP, those are mad fun. I especially like the rock jump up near the east axis tower. OH can't forget the Delivery jump to get the flag on first spawn!

• Like 2

I am not sure TJ is that usefull.

Gengis

Yeah, because jumping over the wall on Oasis and destroying both guns before axis even know whats going on isn't useful. Neither is jumping up the west wall on Supply to build the controls while axis is focusing all their fire on main gate. I already mentioned capping the forward spawn flag on Delivery when the game first starts. 

I'd say its plenty useful xD

• Like 2