ET Server Suggestion Change KR (kill ratio) to KDR (kill/death ratio)

Mufasa

Should KR be changed to KDR?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should KR be changed to KDR?

• Yes, KR should be changed to KDR
    • No, KR should not be modified

How would it fare for people like me? I'm known to literally throw my half-dead body at the objective if it helps the progression of said objective, so my death count is usually astronomically high. Nevertheless, I keep up with 3.0's just fine in 1vs1 as a medic. Clearly, if we use KDR, the objective-minded player would be underrated and this may still lead to bad team changes.

However, I would be very open to an experiment to see how it plays out for a month or two?

ya that so why i said put it to a vote  and see what everyone thinks of it i think once  dd understands how to do this  it would not be a problem to change it  that's the only hold up right now i think 

Please provide some more details on how to do it  - 

http://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/Silent_Mod_Server_Cvar

I don't believe it's possible to change with a cvar. Other than asking the silEnT team to implement it, which I believe should be simple for them to do - perhaps a LUA that uses kill/death information from !stats and does an ABAB shuffle without actually displaying KDR? I'm not a programmer, so unfortunately that's not something I'm able to do. It seems simple enough in theory, though.

Clearly, if we use KDR, the objective-minded player would be underrated

I guess I don't understand your argument. How is that any different than with KR? As I explained in my original post, the only information that KR utilizes is the distance between players and the KR of each player - nothing about objective play. KDR is simply a more-accurate version of KR, in my opinion.

Further, in the small statistical analysis I did, KDR correlated much more highly with PRW (win percentage) than KR, so KDR would tend to be better for objective players than KR is. Also, I think anyone would agree that even the best objective players won't be able to make an impact if there are no holes in a defense, so you're going to have to kill the opponent at some point - hence the need to balance the strong aimers on each team.

Nevertheless, I keep up with 3.0's just fine in 1vs1 as a medic.

As for this, I would say that's because KR is a poor metric of aiming / fragging ability. You have a lower KR because you tend to kill players from further away or die closer, which shouldn't make any difference. When you're looking at the value of kills overall, a kill is a kill. You can point to specific instances where killing someone closer is better, sure, but I won't believe anyone who tells me the distance matters without data.

I'm not saying KDR is a perfect metric to balance teams - far from it, just that I think it would be the easiest to implement and is definitely a big improvement over KR.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

How exactly does KR affect the in-game play? 

I have high KR so I can kill more easily? no; Still hard to kill pro's

Does KR do anything to alter in-game play at all? I doubt it.

So IMO I don't mind it being changed. I have KR of over 10 which is very high, yet I am a very average player who also throws everything at trying to complete the mission.

• Like 1