Jump to content
w1cx

Windows Startup repair couldn't repair your PC

Recommended Posts

You upgraded to win10? Win 10 automatically started to update- can take hours with all "service packs" released. And add to the mix the new Meltdown\Spectre patches which might try to add "new security" features? Maan good luck with trying to unf.. this Xernicus.

 

Anyways Id advice you to run some Linux based live OS and try to salvage anything important till you still can;) From instance you could format some bigger USB to have one part for Live OS and other part to hold files...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All these things Xernicus is advising, I tried, also on mine, but no luck. Hope it works for this guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You upgraded to win10? Win 10 automatically started to update- can take hours with all "service packs" released. And add to the mix the new Meltdown\Spectre patches which might try to add "new security" features? Maan good luck with trying to unf.. this Xernicus.

 

Anyways Id advice you to run some Linux based live OS and try to salvage anything important till you still can;) From instance you could format some bigger USB to have one part for Live OS and other part to hold files...

Spectre/Meltdown patch is already installed. I am halfway thinking it is causing some of the issues... but I need to see "No integrity violations" from SFC to make sure CBS is functioning properly before we can pull it using DISM. Otherwise it will be a real cluster. All in all though, Win 10 is incredibly easy to service compared to Win7. It's practically automated with DISM. No more CheckSUR, woo! :yahoo

 

Anyways... *cough* For those of you who are wondering....

2018-01-17 20:33:41, Info                  CBS    External EvaluateApplicability, package: Package_1730_for_KB4056892~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.9, package applicable State: Installed, highest update applicable state: Installed, resulting applicable state:Installed

^^ That is the spectre/meltdown patch.

 

If he said there was important files on the drive, I would've suggested to run smartmon/TestDisk/ddrescue. And then we'd move on to Windows repair tools...

With all of that said, there is a time and place to "nuke" an OS. That *used* to be my go-to solution. Relatively quick and easy... but it's not the proper way to do things. However, if chkdsk /r fails, it will be required... unless he wants to try testdisk.

 

This is the ultimate root of his problem: STOP 0xc000021a

This error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as WinLogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without WinLogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system.


Mismatched system files can also cause this error. This can occur if you have restored your hard disk from a backup. Some backup programs might skip restoring system files that they determine are in use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if it took a while to reply, I had a busy day yesterday and couldnt even touch my broken PC. 

 

Before I restarted the system I did the commands you told me Xernicus. "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=E:\ /offwindir=E:\Windows" and got the same message ("Cannot start repair service")

 

Then I did the chkdsk E: /r and it asked me if I wanted to force a dismount the volume, which I agreed. It did the test like usual. 

 

I tried again the "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=E:/offwindir=E:\Windows" with the same results.

 

I restarded the computer and tried the last command again. Same results. Then I started the trustedinstaller and tried the sfc command again. I still get the "Cannot start repair service". 

 

So I did the chkdsk E: /r again, asking me to force a dismount and agreed. (I can see you a picture of the results)

 

By the way, I'm not sure it could help the problem but I noticed that the "0xc000021a" error code happened before all this happened. My system would boot normally, then after maybe 5-10 mins after everything was loaded, the PC would crash with the error code  0xc000021a. It would then restart and work fine. I never really bothered it that though.

 

Anyway, I'm really thinking about just format the whole thing now... Maybe I could just copy my ET files to the second HDD inside? 

Edited by w1cx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, I'm not sure it could help the problem but I noticed that the "0xc000021a" error code happened before all this happened. My system would boot normally, then after maybe 5-10 mins after everything was loaded, the PC would crash with the error code  0xc000021a. It would then restart and work fine. I never really bothered it that though.

 

Anyway, I'm really thinking about just format the whole thing now... Maybe I could just copy my ET files to the second HDD inside? 

It's all good. I was busy yesterday anyways. :P

Results of chkdsk /r would be good.

 

With what you said about that STOP code (21a)... did this happen before you installed those 2-4 programs? If this error only started happening after you installed them, what were they?

We can probably remove them and see if that solves your issue.

 

If you do want to go ahead with a format + reinstall, it would be super easy to copy your ET directory to your second HD. You would find the drive letter of the second HD using diskpart, and then

xcopy /E "E:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory" "X:\ET"
(where X:\ is the drive letter of your second HD)

The nice thing about Win10, is that it does have a hardware license... so you would skip entering the product key and it should automatically activate based on your motherboard UUID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect then xD

 

Here's the results of the chkdsk : https://ibb.co/gadqOb 

 

The stop code 21a hapenned first when I installed my external sound recorder, like 3 months ago. I don't think its the programs that I installed/unistalled the day before that caused it. It didnt appear at first when the main problem started, it started to appear again when I try the steps in this video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3za5fsfYftQ&feature=youtu.be

 

Thank you about the command for copying my ET files, I just did.

 

I will wait until you take a look at the results of my chkdsk and have your "final words" before I go ahead and format. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes some sense... doing a "bulk" restore of a registry backup (which is hard to place a date on) can screw quite a bit up.

Of course the dates/versions of the system files don't match the old entries in the registry backup, so processes can't be verified, and everything starts going downhill.

my last "might as well give it a shot" idea would be to copy the registry files from that "backup" folder back into the registry folder.

cd E:\Windows\System32\config\backup\
copy *.* ..

Press "Y" or "A" to any overwrite prompts. Reboot.

If you still get the same no-boot results, you'll be good for a reinstall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, so here's the update. I decided to format the drive and reinstall Windows. THANKS so much for all the help though. It's a good thing that I didn't have important stuff on it.

 

Any tips on something that could help put my drivers/softwares back faster in case I have to do it again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if it took a while to reply, I had a busy day yesterday and couldnt even touch my broken PC. 

 

Before I restarted the system I did the commands you told me Xernicus. "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=E:\ /offwindir=E:\Windows" and got the same message ("Cannot start repair service")

 

Then I did the chkdsk E: /r and it asked me if I wanted to force a dismount the volume, which I agreed. It did the test like usual. 

 

I tried again the "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=E:/offwindir=E:\Windows" with the same results.

 

I restarded the computer and tried the last command again. Same results. Then I started the trustedinstaller and tried the sfc command again. I still get the "Cannot start repair service". 

 

So I did the chkdsk E: /r again, asking me to force a dismount and agreed. (I can see you a picture of the results)

 

By the way, I'm not sure it could help the problem but I noticed that the "0xc000021a" error code happened before all this happened. My system would boot normally, then after maybe 5-10 mins after everything was loaded, the PC would crash with the error code  0xc000021a. It would then restart and work fine. I never really bothered it that though.

 

Anyway, I'm really thinking about just format the whole thing now... Maybe I could just copy my ET files to the second HDD inside? 

I see you reformatted. Sorry to say, I tried every one of these things when it happened to me, and like, you no luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, so here's the update. I decided to format the drive and reinstall Windows. THANKS so much for all the help though. It's a good thing that I didn't have important stuff on it.

 

Any tips on something that could help put my drivers/softwares back faster in case I have to do it again?

There is software that will hunt down your drivers and automatically reinstall them, but I can't recommend it.

Here's what I will recommend: With a fresh installation, and all of the essential drivers software installed, use imaging software like Macrium Reflect to take an image of your hard drive. That way if crap hits the fan again, all you have to do is restore the drive from that image.

 

 

I see you reformatted. Sorry to say, I tried every one of these things when it happened to me, and like, you no luck.

Blanket statements like this frustrate me. First, I'm pretty sure your problems and the root causes were different. Second, these tools are not magic. There's a 25% chance that automatic diagnostics (SFC, DISM, etc) will fix the problem, and there's the other 75% chance that they'll fail, but produce a log (or an error) that will point you in the proper direction. Sometimes they won't run at all. And if W1cx had custom applications and configuration files that he absolutely couldn't afford to lose, and had no image/backup of, we'd still be drilling out this problem.

 

In this case, I'd say that with the amt. of files and no reason why the OS couldn't be nuked, that this was the most sensible option in terms of time consumed.

But there are cases where you cannot format a drive and re-install Windows. If I formatted a drive at work because I took the output of the tools at face value or they returned output that said there was no error, and I couldn't figure it out- I'd lose my job within an hour.

 

TL;DR: With knowledge, context, access to software, tools, a properly slipsteamed install.wim image, and hours of time, you can manually repair any issue you find- from filesystem to OS corruption.

TechNet is a great place to start.

 

PS: Sorry if this comes off rude or condescending. That is not my intention, I've got a ton of different things going on and I'm not in the best mood. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Install linux and avoid these problems forever :D

 

in all seriousness, image your hard drive. There's also scripts you can create and package with your drivers so that they automatically install, but that's a bit more advanced.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Install linux and avoid these problems forever :D

 

in all seriousness, image your hard drive. There's also scripts you can create and package with your drivers so that they automatically install, but that's a bit more advanced.

Yepper. My new build will have an additional 500Gb HDD for keeping a regularly updated system image (Plus 1TB on my 4TB D: Drive for a dual boot Linux install :)

There is software that will hunt down your drivers and automatically reinstall them, but I can't recommend it.

Here's what I will recommend: With a fresh installation, and all of the essential drivers software installed, use imaging software like Macrium Reflect to take an image of your hard drive. That way if crap hits the fan again, all you have to do is restore the drive from that image.

 

 

Blanket statements like this frustrate me. First, I'm pretty sure your problems and the root causes were different. Second, these tools are not magic. There's a 25% chance that automatic diagnostics (SFC, DISM, etc) will fix the problem, and there's the other 75% chance that they'll fail, but produce a log (or an error) that will point you in the proper direction. Sometimes they won't run at all. And if W1cx had custom applications and configuration files that he absolutely couldn't afford to lose, and had no image/backup of, we'd still be drilling out this problem.

 

In this case, I'd say that with the amt. of files and no reason why the OS couldn't be nuked, that this was the most sensible option in terms of time consumed.

But there are cases where you cannot format a drive and re-install Windows. If I formatted a drive at work because I took the output of the tools at face value or they returned output that said there was no error, and I couldn't figure it out- I'd lose my job within an hour.

 

TL;DR: With knowledge, context, access to software, tools, a properly slipsteamed install.wim image, and hours of time, you can manually repair any issue you find- from filesystem to OS corruption.

TechNet is a great place to start.

 

PS: Sorry if this comes off rude or condescending. That is not my intention, I've got a ton of different things going on and I'm not in the best mood. :)

I hear what you're saying and agree, but in this case, the exact same thing he had plus the different attempts to fix is exactly what happened to mine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I never tried Linux. For some unknown reasons, linux seems like another planet for me...  ^_^  I should give it a try someday. Maybe if Windows crashes in the next week  :lol:

 

Thanks again guys! I will look online for the image softwares as soon as the PC runs smoothly. Now for some reasons, one of my two monitors tells me its out of reach in 1920 (was working fine before). Anyway I will try some stuffs when I have a bit more time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I never tried Linux. For some unknown reasons, linux seems like another planet for me...  ^_^  I should give it a try someday. Maybe if Windows crashes in the next week  :lol:

 

Thanks again guys! I will look online for the image softwares as soon as the PC runs smoothly. Now for some reasons, one of my two monitors tells me its out of reach in 1920 (was working fine before). Anyway I will try some stuffs when I have a bit more time. 

You could install a linux distro in a virtual machine software like VMWare Player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×