Finally Back - TulsaGeoff's New Rig

TulsaGeoff

Remembered one suprising thing about PSU-s: while Seasonic used to be one of the most expensive compared to similar competitor models, then now the new Focus models cut the prices from even the EVGA. And the supression on ripple noise is amazing, there´s still one downside to it, the caps on cables are on the side of PC parts, not on the PSU side, so it could look ugly.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-850-psu,5247.html

About the SSD: one has to have a good SSD to feed the NVMe SSD, else it just sits in idle when copying things. Don´t see any point of those speeds, on everyday applications there´s no difference even on Samsung PRO and some low level SSDs...

Haven´t encountered anything so legendary as the HAF case on mainstream yet...

• Like 1

Looks good! We are almost system-twins lol. I'm a fan of the RGB just because I can set it to a color I want and not have to buy new crap to match when I upgrade :lol:

AIO isn't so bad these days, It helps when the case is designed for dual rads though. The self-assembled watercooling really shines on the graphics cards more nowadays anyway, and in regards to looks, but the AIOs have come a long way IMO.

I like the tempered glass side-panel trend, less scratch-prone. A lot of people don't like venting the rad exhaust into the case, but its only a few degrees above ambient, you won't notice any performance issues I bet. I have had to do that on a few builds and it was negligible at best.

You need a new monitor lol, that poor 1080ti wants to flex its muscles.

Oh for et if you haven't got it up and running yet, if it acts up there are a few settings you might need to tweak that weren't around back in the day, or I don't recall needing... I will try to remember what they were but these guys would be more useful than I :lol:

Looks good! We are almost system-twins lol. I'm a fan of the RGB just because I can set it to a color I want and not have to buy new crap to match when I upgrade :lol:

AIO isn't so bad these days, It helps when the case is designed for dual rads though. The self-assembled watercooling really shines on the graphics cards more nowadays anyway, and in regards to looks, but the AIOs have come a long way IMO.

I like the tempered glass side-panel trend, less scratch-prone. A lot of people don't like venting the rad exhaust into the case, but its only a few degrees above ambient, you won't notice any performance issues I bet. I have had to do that on a few builds and it was negligible at best.

You need a new monitor lol, that poor 1080ti wants to flex its muscles.

Oh for et if you haven't got it up and running yet, if it acts up there are a few settings you might need to tweak that weren't around back in the day, or I don't recall needing... I will try to remember what they were but these guys would be more useful than I :lol:

I'm finally on my new monitor! It's a ASUS P279Q. The change from 60hz to 165hz (or 144hz) is quite something on ET. THe old monitor had to be close to 10 years old. ET was producing a an intermittent half second lag/tick every few seconds. Compatibility mode nor anything else would seem to fix it. I resolved the issue by installing the native 2.6b ET from https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/4724-wolfenstein-et-26b-full-setup/ and not dragging in all of my old ETmain files.

I actually haven't installed the side yet as I was waiting for 2 more 140's for the back of the radiator and now it actually moves a lot of air thus creating a positive pressure environment. Its been running NiceHash so I didn't want to subject it to excess heat. The new fans dropped the GPU temps by about 5 degrees without changing the GPU fan setting. There was also a 2TB WD Black HD deal on Black Friday on Amazon for $80 so I have a storage drive in it now. I have a 500gb 840 Samsung SSD in a cheap laptop that I'm wanting to pull and stick it on the visible SSD mount :) We will see...

Everything runs fairly cool and has been extremely stable. No issues getting my non-samsung memory running on its XMP profile. I opted for this ram since it was 3200 (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) for $160 and didn't want to pay an extra $100 for the Samsung modules.  

• Like 1

that ram is great, I have the same stuff just from before RGB was available. you can get more speed (assuming similar ICs are still used) but there is already plenty of bandwidth. The z1-2-370 chipsets have taken XMP profiles very easily, especially the top manufacturers. I've had few issues at all.

Glad to hear you got et up and running! You'll have to do a battlestation pic later lol

Edited by cookiem0nster
  • Like 1

I have the MG279Q monitor, I always notice when my monitor defaults to 60Hz for some reason. 120Hz+ makes a big difference, never wouldn´t go back anymore;)

Yeah... I was experiencing that the other day. I hear interference will cause it. I may see if a better displayport cable fixes this.