• EvolveHQ:Xernicus
  • Admin:17
  • Server:Jay3
  • Alias:=F|A=Xernicus
  • Steam ID:STEAM_0:0:57748879
  • T-M:ET: 7-7

Donator

Contributor

I'd like to suggest that we standardize all of our application forms and remove pinned "application - how to apply" topics for servers we no longer run.

The biggest change I'd like to see are the following additions to all applications:
-Which =F|A= server do you play on the most? (Currently lacking on DOI and INS applications.)
-Location/Timezone. This allows us to know whether this is a member we (as other members) will see often, and when we can meet them.

For Insurgency applications:

-Have you added your Steam ID to your profile?

For CoD4 applications:

-Have you added Steam ID to your profile? (CoD4 is sold over Steam, we need to check VAC bans there too)

Thanks!

EDIT: Raevyn already made tutorial for adding Steam ID to profile.

Edited by Xernicus, 30 October 2017 - 01:34 AM.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!

-=HipKat=-

-=HipKat=-

L8: Grand Teacher

• Platinum VIP
  • 1,534 posts
Name known to all
  • Xbox Live:HipKat2000
  • EvolveHQ:HipKat
  • Admin:7
  • Server:Jay1
  • Alias:Saint Anger
  • Steam ID:STEAM_0:0:36669297
  • T-M:1-0

For Steam ID, need clearer explanation of which is Steam ID. For a long time, I thought it was just my Steam User name

Dest!Ny

Dest!Ny

Weeaboo Hax0r

• Regular User
  • 2,050 posts
Name known to all
  • Alias:Yuki Nagato
  • Steam ID:STEAM_0:0:72848358
  • T-M:ET: 7-5

you should probably switch to asking for SteamID64, thats quite a lot easier, especially for people who dont have a custom SteamID

Edited by Dest!Ny, 30 October 2017 - 05:22 AM.

Xernicus

Xernicus

Certified Mikutard

• Recruiting Team
  • 3,294 posts
Is a bearer of wisdom

Donator

Contributor
I think there's a common misunderstanding. A SteamID is not a username, profile name, custom URL, etc. It's unique and automatically generated by Valve when you create your account. While in not a classic GUID or UUID format, it seems to be generated as such.

Now I don't think adding a SteamID64 field to profiles is a bad idea, I think it would be redundant at the time being, as they don't change.

Screenshot attached to show differences between profile name, custom URL and Steam Id. Pardon the orange tint. That is my Android blue light filter.
Screenshot_2017-10-30-06-38-48-2.png

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2017-10-30-06-38-48-2.png

Edited by Xernicus, 30 October 2017 - 05:48 AM.

Dest!Ny

Dest!Ny

Weeaboo Hax0r

• Regular User
  • 2,050 posts
Name known to all

you have to take into account that you can create a custom steamID, but not a custom steamID64, also the URL is more consistent using steamID64 (/profiles/ instead of /id/, of which the latter redirects back to /profiles/ if no custom ID is found), then we could actually create a hyperlink in the steamID so people can get to your profile more easily

-=HipKat=-

-=HipKat=-

L8: Grand Teacher

• Platinum VIP
  • 1,534 posts
Name known to all
  • Xbox Live:HipKat2000
  • EvolveHQ:HipKat
  • Admin:7
  • Alias:Saint Anger
  • Steam ID:STEAM_0:0:36669297
  • T-M:1-0

I think there's a common misunderstanding. A SteamID is not a username, profile name, custom URL, etc. It's unique and automatically generated by Valve when you create your account. While in not a classic GUID or UUID format, it seems to be generated as such.

Now I don't think adding a SteamID64 field to profiles is a bad idea, I think it would be redundant at the time being, as they don't change.

Screenshot attached to show differences between profile name, custom URL and Steam Id. Pardon the orange tint. That is my Android blue light filter.
attachicon.gifScreenshot_2017-10-30-06-38-48-2.png

That's my point. It's hard to know what exactly your Steam ID is, as it's needed in your profile here

Xernicus

Xernicus

Certified Mikutard

• Recruiting Team
  • 3,294 posts
Is a bearer of wisdom

Donator

Contributor

Nearly 7:30am here, and my last post for the day/night/morning/whatever. Sorry if I'm unclear.

you have to take into account that you can create a custom steamID, but not a custom steamID64, also the URL is more consistent using steamID64 (/profiles/ instead of /id/, of which the latter redirects back to /profiles/ if no custom ID is found), then we could actually create a hyperlink in the steamID so people can get to your profile more easily

I think you're confusing something else with a SteamID. Per Steam Support wiki:

Your SteamID and Steam Account Name can not be changed, even by Steam Support staff members. Your Steam Community ID can be changed at any time in your Steam Community settings, under "Edit my SteamID page".

A person can change their community ID, like I have (to FAXernicus)- but that still links to a unique, unchangeable SteamID. Only way I can get a different SteamID is by creating a new account.

That's my point. It's hard to know what exactly your Steam ID is, as it's needed in your profile here

I do agree. Before it was required for me because I play Insurgency, I bounced between posting my SteamID and my profile name/community ID. Thought it would be easier to find me.
Anyways, we should be using this tutorial more to prevent confusion: https://fearless-ass...t-your-steamid/

Dest!Ny

Dest!Ny

Weeaboo Hax0r

• Regular User
  • 2,050 posts
Name known to all

Nearly 7:30am here, and my last post for the day/night/morning/whatever. Sorry if I'm unclear.

I think you're confusing something else with a SteamID. Per Steam Support wiki:

A person can change their community ID, like I have (to FAXernicus)- but that still links to a unique, unchangeable SteamID. Only way I can get a different SteamID is by creating a new account.

I do agree. Before it was required for me because I play Insurgency, I bounced between posting my SteamID and my profile name/community ID. Thought it would be easier to find me.
Anyways, we should be using this tutorial more to prevent confusion: https://fearless-ass...t-your-steamid/

my point is that if I look at a steamID and see "STEAM_0:0:57748879" (yours) I wouldnt know what to do with it besides putting it into a steamdatabase, whereas when we use steamID64 which is allso VERY easy to find we can just write a hyperlink, namely: steamcommunity.com/profiles/xxx where xxx is the steamID64 you entered in your profile. This way you can go from someones forumpost to ones steamaccount in one simple click, just like we can with evolve. If you think that system is worse than the current I honestly dont know what leg you have to stand on

Flible

Flible

L5: Journeyman

• Regular User
  • 785 posts
Has a brilliant future
  • Admin:1
  • Server:Hardcore ET
  • Alias:Flible

If we're changing bits and pieces of the application format, I'd love to see a question that scouts for insight in one's own personality.

For example, just a thought, something down the line of "Which specific traits or qualities mark you as a person and how do you suppose you can put these traits or qualities to use in our community?"

This will differentiate between the, "I think I'm a nice guy" and the, "I believe my rationality can be put to use in this and that section of the guild because of these reasons". That shows somebody puts thoughts in the matter.

Better yet! Ask for possible traps! "What do you think might be a difficult thing for you to overcome when joining and acting within a community, when you look at the personality you possess?"

Oh, oh, I think I should stop here before I start writing the feared Wall of Text.

RedBaird

RedBaird

What does this thing do? I will push it and see...

• Leader
  • 7,865 posts
Honorable bastion of truth
  • EvolveHQ:FA_Redbaird
  • Admin:20
  • Alias:=F|A=RedBaird
  • Steam ID:76561198427105478
  • T-M:ET: 13-4

Donator

Good Topic, which taught me that my profile "steam ID" is wrong.  I did something like what HipKat did, but with a number.  

Is that "How to get Steam ID" link in the proper application instructions?

Mr.Karizmatic

Mr.Karizmatic

Why So Serious..?

• Recruiting Team
  • 3,364 posts
Is a bearer of wisdom
  • EvolveHQ:Mrkarizmatic1
  • Server:Insurgency
  • Alias:=F|A=Mr.Karizmatic
  • Steam ID:STEAM_0:1:97097755
  • T-M:ET: 20-10
    INS: 2-1

Donator

Contributor

SteamId works like guid( ET) . So if someone changes the guid we wont be searching for him, we ask them to change the guid in forums and then we proceed ( with admin abuse, complains, or lvl set. ) 

yeah steamid64 works too, and i have seen alot of them using it. Until it redirects us to your profile its good. But custom URL are a no no.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users