Negative XP

BeeDee

Hey Guys! So the other day I was on Jay 1 and I had to download the map I don't think it comes around to often in the rotation. After downloading and joining the game i noticed my XP in the bottom left hand corner had a negative value, but if i hit tab my XP is still listed under there. Since then the XP under tab has remained but i have had to work my way from the negative to positive in the bottom corner. Its very strange has anyone experienced this? I have attached screenshots

post-21956-0-92952600-1508535055_thumb.jpg

Edited by BeeDee

• Platinum VIP

The XP you see in the map is your XP FOR that particular map, not your Server xP. Since you had never played it, you had no XP on it, and the negative XP is the bug

Edited by -=HipKat=-

yes indeed it's a jaymod thing/bug  if you reach like 65k it would start to happen and then you i'll see around -500 and if you earn xp it will be less and less untill you reach 0 and then again it keeps happening over and over again every time you hit like 65k there on the xp counter atleast for me i noticed that years ago and it's still in jaymod even after all those years

yes indeed it's a jaymod thing/bug  if you reach like 65k it would start to happen and then you i'll see around -500 and if you earn xp it will be less and less untill you reach 0 and then again it keeps happening over and over again every time you hit like 65k there on the xp counter atleast for me i noticed that years ago and it's still in jaymod even after all those years

As you said it 

Idk why but that's a cool 'bug' i like in jaymod :D

• Leader

I think this is because the designers of ET did not think that mod-designers might add xp_accumulators to their mods to record and save more than 65k XP.

I don't think that the original game saved XP between sessions...or did it? :D

64k = "65,536".  Your first SS shows you with 65,302 xp and your second shows a "-234" in the lower left of your screen.

65,536 - 234 = 65,302

It probably has to do with the maximum size of the numerical variables that each set of designers used.

Edited by RedBaird
  • Like 1

As you said it 

Idk why but that's a cool 'bug' i like in jaymod :D

yeah i like that too about jaymod :D

I think this is because the designers of ET did not think that mod-designers might add xp_accumulators to their mods to record and save more than 65k XP.

I don't think that the original game saved XP between sessions...or did it? :D

64k = "65,536".  Your first SS shows you with 65,302 xp and your second shows a "-234" in the lower left of your screen.

65,536 - 234 = 65,302

It probably has to do with the maximum size of the numerical variables that each set of designers used.

good thinking maybe that's it and when et first came out no xpsave not rlly mods i guess so no way you could have reached 65k but it's a long time ago idk anymore  and if you would run et server in etmain/standard mod it will also not save your xp i have tried many years ago to get xpsave working on just etmain but never got it to work XD

• Like 1

The XP you see in the map is your XP FOR that particular map, not your Server xP. Since you had never played it, you had no XP on it, and the negative XP is the bug

That would be unnecessary data to store and is no feature in Jaymod. Its just that the data type for the onscreenxp seems to be 16 bits long which means it cant handle more than 65,535 so it causes an integer overflow and starts doing things like going negative.

If you play on a stopwatchserver the onscreenxp will display the xp collected in the first round and reset during the second round. The scoreboard will display all xp collected during round one and two.

Some funfact about integer overflows: If anyone ever played any of the Civ games and wondered why the hell Gandhi is a crazy nuke using warmonger its because of an integer overflow in Civ1. Gandhi had to lowest aggresion score and there are options later in the game that lower them further. The devs didnt implement anything to handle it from going lower than 0 which then caused it to go to the highest value possible. The option was around the time where nukes started to exist which would mean that Gandhi started to bomb the shit out of everyone. To preserve this the devs decided to let Gandhis old nuke friendly personality live on in the newer version of the game although they gave him a lower aggresion. So if you attack him and he has nukes he will nuke you but he probably wont attack on his own.

• Like 1

That would be unnecessary data to store and is no feature in Jaymod. Its just that the data type for the onscreenxp seems to be 16 bits long which means it cant handle more than 65,535 so it causes an integer overflow and starts doing things like going negative.

If you play on a stopwatchserver the onscreenxp will display the xp collected in the first round and reset during the second round. The scoreboard will display all xp collected during round one and two.

Some funfact about integer overflows: If anyone ever played any of the Civ games and wondered why the hell Gandhi is a crazy nuke using warmonger its because of an integer overflow in Civ1. Gandhi had to lowest aggresion score and there are options later in the game that lower them further. The devs didnt implement anything to handle it from going lower than 0 which then caused it to go to the highest value possible. The option was around the time where nukes started to exist which would mean that Gandhi started to bomb the shit out of everyone. To preserve this the devs decided to let Gandhis old nuke friendly personality live on in the newer version of the game although they gave him a lower aggresion. So if you attack him and he has nukes he will nuke you but he probably wont attack on his own.

We need to play Civ multiplayer. In the process of organizing a game right now. Hope to see you there! And yes, this is just a JayMod bug. 

We need to play Civ multiplayer. In the process of organizing a game right now. Hope to see you there! And yes, this is just a JayMod bug. 

Haven't played that much Civ and I stopped playing it after I discovered EU4, a game where I start to dislike steams timetracking feature.