Install EnemyTerritory on Ubuntu / Linux - Enemy Territory

Krauersaut

• Clan Friend

OK, so I am a full retard and allowed my wife to use this computer to do her college homework, and she clicked on a picture of a puppy and the computer got infected and I had to reinstall Windows XP. Obviously this meant I had to reinstall ubuntu so I can play ET, since I have become accustomed to actually hitting the enemy when I shoot at them (this does not seem to happen with Windows).

So I had a copy of the Linux ET download saved from the last time I downloaded it. I put it in the root folder after reinstalling Linux. I got this message when tried to install ET:

root@ubuntu:~# sudo sh et-linux-2.60.x86.run

Verifying archive integrity... All good.

Uncompressing Enemy Territory 2.60 Full Install..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

./setup.sh: 278: /root/.setup2396: not found

./setup.sh: 289: /root/.setup2396: not found

root@ubuntu:~#

any ideas what these mystery files are that it is looking for?

Thanks!

ubuntu 64 bit or 32 bit? if it's 64 bit maybe you need to install some packages before, I don't remember the names, though.

some people say sudo apt-get install libx11-6 ia32-libs

I didn't check myself since I use fedora 32 bit now.

• 5 months later...
  • Clan Friend

I followed all the steps, but i can't hear anything even load the FA servers!

on Ubuntu doing

/seta s_khz 44

should fix the no sound problem, otherwise you need something like et-sdl-sound.

on Ubuntu doing

/seta s_khz 44

should fix the no sound problem, otherwise you need something like et-sdl-sound.

super high quality sound doesn't work. Thanks.

super high quality sound doesn't work. Thanks.

To quote a PM to Snake:

To your sound problem: I'm referring to a german article here so I apologize if any of the names differ.

Way A:

System -> Preferences -> Audio -> Devices. Choose OSS (Open-Sound-System) here.

Way B:

Execute the following in your terminal:

sudo -s
echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

If you want to keep that permanently, create the file /etc/init.d/et-sound and add the following to it:

#!/bin/sh
#Bug in Wolfenstein ET
echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
echo "et.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss

Then execute the following in your terminal:

sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/et-sound
sudo update-rc.d et-sound defaults

Way C:

Execute the following in your terminal:

killall esd; et; esd

Way D:

Create the folder /opt/enemy-territory if it doesn't already exist. Place et-sdl-sound.so from here in it.

Then create the following little startscript named "et_sdl_sound.sh" where /usr/local/games/enemy-territory represents the path to your ET installation:

#!/bin/bash
export ETSDL_SDL_LIB="libSDL.so"
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER="alsa"
cd /usr/local/games/enemy-territory
LD_PRELOAD="/opt/enemy-territory/et-sdl-sound.so" ./et.x86 $*

If you're using the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, you need to add the following to the script:

export ETSDL_SDL_LIB="/usr/lib32/libSDL.so"

Then make it executable by typing in:

chmod +x et_sdl_sound.sh

You shall now be able to start ET by doing:

./et_sdl_sound.sh

If you've still got no sound, you might need to create a symbolic link to your SDL libraries. Fix it with:

cd /usr/lib
sudo ln -s libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.0 libSDL.so

Way E:

In the "et_sdl_sound.sh" script from Way D, replace

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER="alsa"

with

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER="pulse"

Way C worked for him.

I did every case, i just mess with the OSS i need download the package. But any of the other work with me, what a shame when et looks so great on ubuntu.

well i have a problem

i installed ubuntu

but i dont get ne sound on my headphones although they get detected as i can see volume increasing decreasing visually on screen and also when i test head phones thru system->preferances->sound->hardaware-> test sound the headphones work perfect

i tried wat u said in way a n b the link given in way 4 doesnt work so cant try it

please help me out with this sound stuff and btw im real newbie with ubuntu so please tell how n from where to do evrything :P

well i have a problem

i installed ubuntu

but i dont get ne sound on my headphones although they get detected as i can see volume increasing decreasing visually on screen and also when i test head phones thru system->preferances->sound->hardaware-> test sound the headphones work perfect

i tried wat u said in way a n b the link given in way 4 doesnt work so cant try it

please help me out with this sound stuff and btw im real newbie with ubuntu so please tell how n from where to do evrything :P

Fixed the link.

• 1 year later...

Anybody can please help me? :kiss

If I try to install it, it stops installing after 1 minute and shows error message:

kwisi@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sudo sh et-linux-2.60.x86.run

Uncompressing Enemy Territory 2.60 Full Install..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

./setup.sh: 191: ./setup.sh: /home/kwisi/.setup2799: not found

Edited by kwisi

• Clan Friend

Anybody can please help me? :kiss

If I try to install it, it stops installing after 1 minute and shows error message:

kwisi@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sudo sh et-linux-2.60.x86.run

./setup.sh: 191: ./setup.sh: /home/kwisi/.setup2799: not found

if you are on 64bit os, do you have the necessary 32bit libraries installed? Or maybe you miss some other dependency...

• Clan Friend

How can I find out?

Hmm, I use Arch Linux, now I don't remember much about Ubuntu's package manager, but there should be a package named ia32-libs, or maybe now it's called ia32-libs-multiarch

to check if you have it already:

$ sudo dpkg -l | grep -i 'ia32-libs'

to install it, you should probably:

$ sudo apt-get ia32-libs-multiarch

better wait for someone using Ubuntu :P

p.s.

Which Ubuntu do you use? Which version?

• 2 years later...

well,  I just installed Ubuntu on my pc and I am very happy to see this topic, I thought I could not play again but I will check this to install finally my beloved ET, before that, I pass by here to say thank.

It is time to return, if all goes well, I'll soon be playing on the server.

^Sato.-

• Like 1

well,  I just installed Ubuntu on my pc and I am very happy to see this topic, I thought I could not play again but I will check this to install finally my beloved ET, before that, I pass by here to say thank.

It is time to return, if all goes well, I'll soon be playing on the server.

^Sato.-

I wait You  :noob  :camper      :ph34r:

• Like 1