Install EnemyTerritory on Ubuntu / Linux - Enemy Territory

Krauersaut

Ok I installed the ET and everything is working fine.

The only problem is that I cannot do vid_restart at main menu or in game. The game simply crashes to desktop leaving me 640 x 480 resolution. I then have to manually change the resolution by going to Monitors menu.

Another problem is that the game acts weirdly. I get 37 fps at one point in MLB temple when fps is capped at 76. but when i cap fps at 43 it immediately shoots to 43 and stays 'locked'.

Any idea what is causing the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

If someone encounters the same problem as jaie did:

Minimizing: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=67561

Killing X-Server with: Ctrl+Alt+Print+K

ALT+Enter works on Windows only.

alt+enter works in ubuntu, i know cuz i do it everyday a million times,

just hit al enter then open console then ur free.

and the "freeze" is also fixed typing(even when it does looks like is not typing, it is.) type: /r_fullscreen 1

Edited by Pro*tOrMeNtIuM

alt enter works for me now kind of, it doesn't minimize the game cause I already play windowed mode, but if you play in fullscreen, it puts you to windowed mode allowing you to minimize the game by opening the console and then moving the mouse to the down arrow beside the red x at the top left hand corner of the window

and the freezing is due to my epic firefox tabs and a lack of ram and me doing alt enter in windowed mode whilst connected to a server and then going into full screen mode before doing alt enter again and reloading, whilst connected to a server and going back into windowed mode and then not being able to open the console and minimize because it is frozen lol

• 1 month later...

Hey I got a new error installing et on linux today (on an Asus Eee PC netbook):

root@ubuntu:~# sudo sh et-linux-2.60.x86.run

Verifying archive integrity... All good.

Uncompressing Enemy Territory 2.60 Full Install..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

./setup.sh: 278: /root/.setup2135: not found

./setup.sh: 289: /root/.setup2135: not found

root@ubuntu:~#

Not sure what .setup2135 is. Tried to look it up but to no avail.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Hey I got a new error installing et on linux today (on an Asus Eee PC netbook):

Uncompressing Enemy Territory 2.60 Full Install..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

./setup.sh: 278: /root/.setup2135: not found

./setup.sh: 289: /root/.setup2135: not found

Not sure what .setup2135 is. Tried to look it up but to no avail.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Did you install the x64 version of ubuntu? If so:

It should work like a charm if you install ia32-libs before installing ET:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

ia32-libs provides the necessary libraries for 32bit applications to run on a 64bit system.

Did you install the x64 version of ubuntu?

No it was the basic wubi.exe. It worked fine on this computer a couple months ago when I downloaded it. I put it and the linux et files on to a memstick and transferred them all to the netbook. Ubuntu installed normally from XP on the netbook, but when I tried to run the et files it gave me that error.

I googled those file names hoping maybe I could find them and put them in the root folder but google had never heard of them so no links.

No it was the basic wubi.exe. It worked fine on this computer a couple months ago when I downloaded it. I put it and the linux et files on to a memstick and transferred them all to the netbook. Ubuntu installed normally from XP on the netbook, but when I tried to run the et files it gave me that error.

I googled those file names hoping maybe I could find them and put them in the root folder but google had never heard of them so no links.

Did you "chmod +x" the file?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Clan Friend

Hi,

I got tired of windows, and decided to switch to linux, now after installing ET (on ubuntu 10.04) and after solving many problems (binding a mouse button as kp_equals, getting rid of pb kicks, disabling the annoying left+right = middle mouse click, no audio, etc.), I still have some questions...

Maybe some of you could help me, I am still googling for answers, but if someone already knows, maybe you could save me several hours ;)

And after comparing opengl performance windows vs linux, I don't wanna play anymore with that xp cr*p even on win7 it's slow with the same et config and ati settings. (btw, I have a radeon hd 5670, and on xp I get the same fps as my old x1300! )

Question 1 - I have experienced some mouse lag, I don't know what is the reason, sometimes it doesn't lag. I have tried in_dgamouse 0, 1, 2. Now, 0 doesn't work, 1 and 2 are ok but I have mouse lags sometimes. (I think in_dgamouse is like windows direct input, so I would like to keep it on, to avoid negative accel and all that sh*t) any ideas? My mouse feels laggy as it did on windows with vsync enabled. I move it and after a while the screen follows. Unplayable. And I have 125 fps.

Question 2 - Is it possible to rebind the console key? I have to press alt + another key to open it, I tried bind somekey consoletoggle but it didn't work.

Question 3 - Alt + enter does nothing, I can't run in windowed mode it looks the same as fullscreen. No window bar, etc. The only difference is, if I switch to r_fullscreen 0 (using alt + enter, or using the cvar), I can see the mouse arrow when I open the console. This way I can switch to another desktop with ctrl + alt + arrow. So, Do I have to play with r_fullscreen 0, or there is an alternative?

Question 4 (maybe ot) - I have a lot of crashes and kernel panic, but I cannot see anything in the logs, I suspect the ati drivers, but I had a crash even with ubuntu livecd. And also when I don't play. ET freezes often. Sometimes I see the blinking lights on the keyboard, sometimes not. Is it possible to log these bloody crashes some way, to have a clue?

Another thing... I chown'ed all in usr/local/games/et to my user and not to root, is that correct?

thank you in advance for reading the post and/or helping.

• Clan Friend

solved after 2 weeks of headaches, by switching to fedora 13 :rolleyes:.

I never managed to find out why ubuntu was so unstable, Pity because I liked it and it was so easy to fix et sound, now I have to use et sdl sound in order to make it work.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I am a full retard and allowed my wife to use this computer to do her college homework, and she clicked on a picture of a puppy and the computer got infected and I had to reinstall Windows XP. Obviously this meant I had to reinstall ubuntu so I can play ET, since I have become accustomed to actually hitting the enemy when I shoot at them (this does not seem to happen with Windows).

So I had a copy of the Linux ET download saved from the last time I downloaded it. I put it in the root folder after reinstalling Linux. I got this message when tried to install ET:

./setup.sh: 278: /root/.setup2396: not found

./setup.sh: 289: /root/.setup2396: not found

any ideas what these mystery files are that it is looking for?

Thanks!