Install EnemyTerritory on Ubuntu / Linux - Enemy Territory

Krauersaut

Installing Ubuntu

This section will show you how to download and install Ubuntu and give you a brief introduction to that popular Operating System. This tutorial deals with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx but will most likely work with every following version as well. It will guide you through the intuitive installation using an ordinary USB flash disk with at least 1GB of disk space. There's also a way to install it without using a CD/DVD or a USB flash disk, but this way you'll produce a universal Linux flash disk which could be used to install Ubuntu on any PC or as Recovery-CD to retrieve data from a broken system.

Downloading Ubuntu

The first thing you obviously need to do to install Ubuntu on your system is downloading an installation image of it. Therefore, head over to Ubuntu.com and download the 32-bit version of Ubuntu.

Hint: The main Ubuntu mirrors are usually pretty busy. Sweden's mirror is currently one of the fastest in Europe.

Creating a Ubuntu USB flash drive

Attach a regular USB flash drive with at least 1GB of disk space to your PC. Since the data on the flash drive will be erased during that step, I'd recommend backing up your data, using an old flash drive or buy a new one. (They are only about 10$ and you could use it for whatever you want afterwards.)

Now open a command line with administrative rights by opening your Start menu, typing in cmd and right click the first entry to Run as administrator. Enter the following commands. (Note that X equals the Disk # from list disk.)

diskpart

list disk

select disk X

clean

create partition primary

format fs=fat32 quick

assign

Having your bootable flash drive ready, extract the Ubuntu image's content to your flash drive using WinRar or any other program which is able to extract .iso files.

Hint: For more detailed instructions on how to create a bootable flash drive, have a look at this tutorial.

Image: http://fearless-assa...=images&img=610

Installing Ubuntu

Reboot your PC and make sure you selected to boot from a USB flash drive. (The key to select this option is mostly F12 or ESC, please refer to your Mainboard's documentation for further information on this.) As soon as the purple screen with the accessibility icon on the bottom appears, hit the Enter key and select the language of your choice. Navigate to Install Ubuntu to start the installation routine.

The first three steps are self-explanatory and will guide you through the basic settings. When it comes to disk space preparation, select Install them side by side, choosing between them each startup and continue. Enter your login credentials, decide whether to import your documents from your Windows partition and start the installation process. This may take a while, depending on your computer's performance.

Reboot your PC and remove the USB flash disk when asked to. You will be presented with Linux' bootloader, GRUB. As you might have already expected, you could either boot into your new Ubuntu installation by choosing Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-21-generic (Version number depending on the installed kernel.) or into your old Windows by choosing Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1).

Image: gallery_1846_136_473.jpg

Configuring Ubuntu

To prevent any security leaks, we are going to change the password of Ubuntu's Administrator account, called root. To do so, open a new Terminal window by navigating to Applications – Accessories – Terminal. Type in sudo passwd, enter your user's password, enter a new password for root and confirm it. I recommend updating the system regularly, which could be either done graphically or via Terminal. Since I prefer the latter way, run the following command to update the application list, update the applications themselves and upgrade the system's core, called kernel:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

To install drivers needed to run Enemy Territory smoothly, go to System – Administration – Hardware Drivers, let it update it's lists and follow the on-screen instructions to installed the drivers.

Installing Enemy Territory

This section will show you how to download and install the game itself, updating PunkBuster, fixing potential sound problems and finally how to uninstall it. Note: To install Enemy Territory on a 64-bit system, you need to have ia32-libs installed. Feel free to contact me for further details.

Downloading and Installing Enemy Territory

The Linux version of Enemy Territory consists of the the game in version 2.60 of about 260MB and a linux update of about 8MB. To download both from a fast mirror, run the following commands in Ubuntu's Terminal application:

Following the usual process, we install the game first by running sudo sh et-linux-2.60.x86.run. If you didn't run into any problems yet, you will be prompted with a semi-graphical installation routine. Accept the license agreements, leave the installation path at it's default value /usr/local/games/enemy-territory, the symlink path at /usr/local/bin and leave both options, Enemy Territory and PunkBuster client/server files, checked to make sure it installs PunkBuster as well. Accept PunkBuster's license agreement and install the startup menu entries. To prevent security problems, please do not start the game from the installer's prompt because it will run it as root, being able to make changes on your system without notifying you.

Repeat the same procedure to install the patch: Execute it with sudo sh et-linux-2.60-update.x86.run, accept the license agreements, leave the paths on their default values and you're done.

Hint: To clean up the Terminal window, just type in clear and hit the Enter key.

Image: gallery_1846_136_44952.jpg

Updating PunkBuster

It's time to get an up-to-date version of PunkBuster to avoid getting banned from your favorite servers. To download the updates, visit PunkBuster's pbsetup.run website, pass the Captcha and download the file. Since the file will be downloaded to your user account's Downloads folder, move it to the desktop for your comfort. You could easily access the Downloads folder by navigating to Places – Downloads. Extract the ZIP-File by right clicking on it and selecting Extract Here. Run the following commands from your Terminal window to update PunkBuster:

chmod +x pbsetup.run

./pbsetup.run --add-game=et

sudo ./pbsetup.run -u

Image: gallery_1846_136_100735.jpg

Fixing Downloads and Sound

Run the game once to create the required folder structure by navigating to Applications - Other - enemy-territory. Execute sudo chown -R fa:fa ~/.etwolf/ (where fa:fa equals your user account) to be able to download any custom soundpacks or maps later.

To be able to hear your enemy in-game we need to fix potential sound problems by running sudo apt-get install esound. If you've still got sound problems, run sudo apt-get install vim to install a great text editor, executing sudo vim /etc/init.d/etSoundFix.sh, pressing the i key to enter vim's Insert mode, entering echo “et.x86 0 0 direct†> /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss and pressing ESC followed by :wq to save the file and leave vim. The only thing left to do is setting the correct permissions by running sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/etSoundFix.sh and adding it to our startup daemon by executing sudo update-rc.d etSoundFix.sh defaults. (Don't worry about the warnings at this point, it just grumbling that we didn't include any LSB information to our file.)

Uninstalling Enemy Territory

Unfortunately there is no uninstallation routine included in Enemy Territory's installer, so you'll have to uninstall it manually by doing:

sudo rm -rf /usr/local/games/enemy-territory && sudo rm -rf /usr/local/bin/et && rm -rf ~/.etwolf/

Edited by Fearless Staff
  • Like 4

Thanks for the feedback, ladies.

I've just updated the PDF version. Did some optical changes, fixed a few typos and corrected a command in the PunkBuster section.

Please refer to the new version when updating PunkBuster. You might need to clean your cache to get the new version if you've downloaded the old one lately.

installed ubuntu and ET yesterday, was kinda using your tutorial and Pro Torm together :P , copied and pasted my etkey to new install, but trying to get on server it says I have no guid :( . Was late and I haven't tried extensively to figure out how to get it to work yet, will post later after exploring how to fix. Oh, and when I connected to a server (was only for few seconds before pb kicked for no guid), had major lag. Idk if maybe my pc is to old for this linux, but the system requirements I seen showed 1ghz cpu and 512 mb ram and don't remember space on harddrive(but I got plenty space there). my specs-

Manufacturer:

HP Pavilion 05

Processor:

Intel® Celeron® CPU 1.70GHz

Memory:

630MB RAM

Hard Drive:

250 GB

Video Card:

RADEON 9250

Monitor:

COMPAQ MV740 Color Monitor

Sound Card:

Realtek AC97 Audio

installed ubuntu and ET yesterday, was kinda using your tutorial and Pro Torm together :P , copied and pasted my etkey to new install, but trying to get on server it says I have no guid :( . Was late and I haven't tried extensively to figure out how to get it to work yet, will post later after exploring how to fix. Oh, and when I connected to a server (was only for few seconds before pb kicked for no guid), had major lag. Idk if maybe my pc is to old for this linux, but the system requirements I seen showed 1ghz cpu and 512 mb ram and don't remember space on harddrive(but I got plenty space there). my specs-

Manufacturer:

HP Pavilion 05

Processor:

Memory:

630MB RAM

Hard Drive:

250 GB

Video Card:

RADEON 9250

Monitor:

Sound Card:

Realtek AC97 Audio

Where did you paste your etkey? Your setup should be fine, I played a long time with a weaker laptop that was even running XP.

Also, did you follow the "PunkBuster Update" part of the tutorial? Note that there has been a typo in the update command which has been fixed in the new version of the PDF and the online version.

Hi and thanks for the tutorial. I was using yours and tormentium's together too. Your link to download ET:Linux works, his does not.

Just to let you know, your "chmod x pbsetup" (however you typed it in the tutorial) command for installing punkbuster gave me errors:

24mxche.png

But I did not need it anyway, just using the normal ET menu punkbuster was installed and worked just fine without anything fancy.

Manufacturer:

HP Pavilion 05

Processor:

Memory:

630MB RAM

Hard Drive:

250 GB

Video Card:

RADEON 9250

Monitor:

Sound Card:

Realtek AC97 Audio

U pasted etkey in wrong folder, i assume,

go

Places-> Home Folder, once there press Ctrl+H

it will open hidden files,

including folder U NEED , called

.etwolf

open it, go etmain

paste etkey there

now u wont get kicked

!

nice tuto btw :D check out mine and we can feedback togheter lol

Hi and thanks for the tutorial. I was using yours and tormentium's together too. Your link to download ET:Linux works, his does not.

Just to let you know, your "chmod x pbsetup" (however you typed it in the tutorial) command for installing punkbuster gave me errors:

24mxche.png

But I did not need it anyway, just using the normal ET menu punkbuster was installed and worked just fine without anything fancy.

hehe hey, link works but i kinda put shttp: instead of http: lol i ll fix that :D

for ur pb error, i rather install PB the way i mention in my tuto is bit easier and u wont get error, rest is fine!

24mxche.png

Simple solution: You're not in the correct directory to execute the file. If you've stored it on your desktop, type in "cd ~/Desktop/" first.

Hey I got another question - where are the downloads stored in Linux? I went in to my Enemy Territory file and it doesn't have my Jaymod file or maps or condump files or spec vids.

Where does Linux save this stuff? Its not in the downloads folder either.

Hey I got another question - where are the downloads stored in Linux? I went in to my Enemy Territory file and it doesn't have my Jaymod file or maps or condump files or spec vids.

~/.etwolf/, respectively in a hidden folder called .etwolf in your user's home directory.

go Places-> Home Folder, press ctrl+h (to show hidden files) search a folder called .etwolf

and pen it ur etmain jaymod, nq folders will be there among with ur maps and etc.-.

• 2 weeks later...

one thing you missed was the libgtk 1.2 and the other 2 dependencies (they arent in synaptic, since they are considered obsolete... in fact, with them installed, synaptic tries to remove them for being outdated... to bad no other lib's work for et....)

heres links too them if you need it :)

http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/jaunty/libgtk1.2-common'>http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/jaunty/libgtk1.2-common

http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/jaunty/libglib1.2ldbl

http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/jaunty/libgtk1.2

(install order is as shown, commom, ldbl, then the 1.2)

(this is for 10.04 btw, i dont know if the libs are available in karmic or still considered obsolete, but these are from jaunty, so they are compatible with 10.04 and karmic)

Edited by Futurama Guy