NHL Season 2017-2018

L3ftY.

Got my news ready today :) Now to make my fantasy team ready, i waited so i can see all the roster moves because make final choises on final spots in my team. Wanted to take Vanek but his spot is not in fourth line and didnt want to play Rantanen in the fourth line either, i need in fourth line, player who is actually fourth liner. Will publish my team later today and publish last year points too :)

Teams of the day.

Montreal Canadiens

I think they win they own division because they have one of best coaches in the NHL and maybe NHL best goalie. They defence group also look strong. Weber is better overall player than Subban is and Streit is still good leader and player. They have a lot great leaders in the group and that can help to make good success in the coming season. Team also have couple good young forward who can make they forward group a lot wider than it has been for many years (Lehkonen and Drouin) also they signed Hemsky and they have very good fourth line.

Goalie outlook

1. Price 60-65 game

2. Montoya 20-25 game

Nashville Predators

I did predict last year that Saros will take back up role and this year i predict he will overtake Rinne. Or atleast play equal amount of games than Rinne. I didnt watch Playoffs a lot last year, but all know that Rinne single hanledly dropp Hawks and was biggest reason why Nashville was in the Stanley Finals. But in the Finals he was not so good anymore. Its biggest problem in Rinne game. He can be hot 1-3 month and then he is just avarage goalie, he lose something mental side and start allowe easy goals and loose his focus. When he is hot, he is equally good with Bobrovsky, Price and Holtby, three best atm, but too often happen that he lose his focus and is just avarage goalie and then you cant be stubborn and keep playing him, but give shot to Saros, who can be future Vezina winner. I also little bit fear that team could even dropp out from playoffs, that happened with Laviolette teams, first in Carolina then in Philly, after Stanley won (CAR) or Stanley final lost (philly) he dropped out from playoffs fastly after that and got kicked off. Also team roster is not so good as many other teams in west. Laviolette just get more out from players than normal coach, its his blessing but also curse. He get his teams over perform and then when team dropp to they normal lvl, they dropp out of playoffs what cost Laviolette job. I think its either Nashville, St. Louis or LAK who take last spot in the playoffs and it would not surprise me if Nashville dropp out.

Goalie outlook

1. Rinne 40-45 game

2. Saros 40-45 game

New Jersey Devils

Last year Schneider was not himself and team played very badly. But in my mind you cant blame Schneider too much, i think he is still top 10 goalies in the league and he just need more help from team. Team defence group is very thin and team dont have good two-way players what make they defence one of worst in the NHL in coming year too. In the paper they have second worst group in the NHL after Arizona, so i dont wait a lot from them.

Goalie outlook

1. Schneider 55-60 game

2. Kinkaid 20-25 game

New York Islanders

This can be Halak comeback season in the goal, but they still need better goalies to get in the playoffs. Biggest question mark is coaches, can Weight get more out from players than they skill-level is. Couple year ago NYI lose couple key players and they havent been able to find players to fill those spots. Will not go to playoffs because team offense is not wide enough, they miss key second line center.

Goalie outlook

1. Halak 45-50 game

2. Greiss 30-35 game

New York Rangers

Rangers have ok d-group, but why they have been so good team in serveral year is because they have so good goalie and coach. Offense group is solid, but would need more wide in long playoff run, Marc Staal is not same D-man than he was when NYR was playing in finals and D-group is not so powerfull than we use to see. Shattenkirk signation was big and help them, but they densive defenders are not league best anymore. Also Pavelec is weaker back up than what Raanta was.

Goalie Outlook

1. Lundqvist 55-60 game

2. Pavelec 20-25 game

Hey go to check my latest update on my fantasy team in here https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/73839-minnesota-wild-lion-fantasy-team/?p=780377

Edited by von Rantala

You should watch this video/interview https://www.nhl.com/wild/video/koivu-on-extension-with-minnesota/c-52756103. Its rare that GM give so much credit to player. He say that we probably would not got Parise, Sutter, Dubnyk or Pommiville to team if Koivu would not stay with team when Wild had hard times. He was loyal to team then and now too and its nice to see that team is loyal to him too. I have gave some critic to Fletcher too, but only for not firing Yeo. Rest of his moves i mostly liked (except losing Konopka and Brodziak but those we lost because Yeo didnt give them ice time) Fletcher has build good team for us, he bring Parise and Suter to team, who both was biggest free agents, then he got Pommiville from Buffalo almost free, then Pommiville was good player for us. Then he got Vanek to us, what i first didnt like, but he was good player to us even that we had to buy him out, he was able to keep Zucker and Dumba for very cheap contracts, and now he was able to keep Granny and Nino too, plus Dubnyk trade was awsome, we got him free and his contract is not bad. I think only 4 milj per season (salary cap). A lot good moves, plus what is also important to remember, he did bring Bruce behind bench, even that it take sometime. Bruce is great coach, i just hope he dont start favor players. I still fear that he might do same as in Anaheim, when he did favor younger players and dropp out veterans to fourth line our out of roster. Like Knuble in WSH and Selänne and S. Koivu in Anaheim. I am not Selänne fan, never liked him, but i it did amaze me how, Selanne was able to won MVP trophy in Olympic but was not in top 6 in Anaheim or in PP, when he is alltime top 3 in pp if i am correct. I hope same dont happen in Minnesota.

Got all the NHL stuff done and i am ready for new season. Last thing was to make calender for me. I have done that every year and i can easily check when games are and i put also my top 4 players of the game and results in there. This season Wild have only 4 EU time game, its a lot less than last couple years. Even that we play 9 game in last 15 days in regular season our calender for March/April is not so awfull than last year, last year we played like 21 game in last 35 days and we didnt have any two day break. Now we have one four day break in march and three two day breaks. Those can be key days that we can get rest before playoffs start. Wild will play season final game. Minnesota and San Jose is last game of NHL regular season in the 2017-2018. First game will be in coming Wednesday when Washington and St. Louis will play EU (afternoon) game.

Team of days.

Ottawa Senators

Made they way back to playoffs last season when they got big boost from new coach, this season can be little bit harder. They have very good and young and talented offense group. Good top 3 in defence group and underrated starter (Anderson) so they roster look good in the paper, but defence game has been minor problem to them and they miss good two way players from to group and that can cost playoff spot.

Goalie outlook

1. Anderson 50-55 game

2. Condon 25-30 game

Philadelphia Flyers

Have one of NHL widest center squad, they have very good secondary centers in Couturier, Filppula and Lehterä and one of those have to play in winger. Also Nolan Patrick is a center so they center squad is probably NHL widest. You dont need to go far away back when Philadelphia had NHL best defence group and leadership squad. They had Timonen, Pronger, Streit and others in D-group and now they miss big star D-man and some of young talents are still question marks. Because weak D-group they will dropp out. Elliott signation was good, he is underrated goalie, but will not solve Flyears goalie problem in long run.

Goalie outlook

1. Elliott 50-55 game

1. Neuvirth 30-35 game

Pittsburght Penguins

Will be one of favorites to win cup again. That third line center and fourth line center problem could cost them Cup this year. They have solid and young D-group which can be NHL best in three years. There is still young players in offensive group too who havent used whole potential, but they truly need third/fourth line center in the squad and great two-way player. Niemi replace Fleury and Fleury was liked in the locker room and good leader for the team, also good motivator to Murray. Niemi is overrated goalie who i dont personally like, but could be better in this year than i or many thinks.

Goalie outlook

1. Murray 55-60 game

2. Niemi 25-30 game

San Jose Sharks

Problem is that they key offensive players are all over 32 year old except Couture. They young players did fail last year, what was reason of why they was not able to make longer playoff run and why they was in the problems in the regular season. Now young players like Donskoi, Bödker and Hertl have to come back 40-50 points seasons and then Shark will be a real threat. Aaron Dell could challange Jones in the goal if coach give him chance. Jones season was not bad least year, but they need better game from him. Game what he showed 2016 playoffs.

Goalie outlook

1. Jones 50-55 game

2. Dell 30-35 game

Just got last night game watched. Its about 01:00 AM. We did lose game, but we was better team overall and i am happy on how we played on our season first game. Some players was rusty, like Staal, Spurgeon and Niederreiter, but some of players played great game, like Stewart, Koivu, Granlund and Suter. With little bit luck, we could easily win the game, first we made two goal, which both was dissallowed because goalie interference, in both situations, Detroit player pushed our guy to Howard, but they was dissallowed anyone. Then Detroit made lucky goal in the powerplay, when puck hit the Mantha and then he had empty net. Second goal you cant blame Dubnyk either, but third one was easy goal and that eventually cost us game. Dubnyk made couple big saves, but allowed that one easy one what decided game. Maybe he was just rusty, because it was season first game, but its very common in his game, sometimes he is hot and then sometimes he give these easy goals. I hope we give next game for Stalock and we can see if he can challange Duby in this season. We play only 4 game in first 15 day of regular season, thats is not good thing in start of season when you try find your game.

Here come couple team news.

St. Louis Blues

All know that i dont like Yeo so i dont comment him in here, but it will be interesting to see if St. Louis go samekind losing streaks what Wild did go every season under Yeo. I think Blues will dropp out from top 3 in central where they was with Hitchock and take last playoff spot or dropp out from playoffs. Its Kings, Nashville or Blues who will take those last two playoffs spot from west. Allen played great playoffs and played great hockey after Yeo game behind bench but i dont believe his skill to be long time number one goalie. He is too irregular, sometimes he shine and is very good, but rest of time he is below avarage. I can be wrong with him. In paper St. Loius look very good team. They have wide d-group even that they lost Shattenkirk, they have wide offensive group even that they would need star first line center and start two-way player. Because they miss big star center, and star two-way player, and goalies are question mark and Yeo as coach is minor question mark i predict they barely go to playoffs but dropp in first round.

Goalie outlook

1. Allen 45-50

2. Hutton 20-25

3. Husso 10-15

4. Maybe goalie trade in the trade deadline

Tampa Bay Lighning

Couple year ago i sayed that Vasilevsky will overtake Bishop and that Bishop will be traded and Vasilevsky will be they future goalie and i also sayed him to be best goalie outside of NHL. Now i think that he havent been as good as i thought, yes he did overtake Bishop, but Bishop was playing better and he was traded because salary cap not because he lost role to Vasilievsky. This can be Vasilevsky year when he come in the NHL top 5 goalies or he could fail too. That is team biggest question mark. Also i was surprised that they let Cooper continue behind bench. Team is one of NHL best in the paper and it was hard to believe that they was not in the playoffs last year. D-group could need little bit help, but offensive group is one of NHL bests.

Goalie outlook

1. Vasilevsky 50-55 game

2. Budaj 25-30 game

Toronto

Was very hard to predict how team will play in regular season. If you look they coach, he is top 3 as coach ranking in the word and then they have very wide and good offensive group. They D-group and goalies are biggest question marks. They need help in the D-group, they dont have big star defender in the group, but its very talented and someone could be star defender in the future, but for this season they would need help in there. Andersen played ok season in the goal, but he could be better. They need little bit more from him. Offense is mix of veterans and young players, but as all young teams, they use to play one great season, then next season come dropp in the scoring and team dropp little bit and then next year they find game again. This why i predict they could be out.

Goalie outlook

1. Andersen 50-55 game

2. McElhinney 15-20 game

3. Garret Sparks 5-10 game

4. Kasimir Kaskisuo 1-5 game

PS. Just saw that Toronto acquired Picard from Las Vegas. I am not surprised on this move, as you can see from my prediction (what is made before season started) i predict that they dont trust McElhinney a lot and could give time for young goalies, now they did get Picard who can actually challange Andersen who didnt play great season last year and can be team weak point.

Edited by von Rantala

Just check out scores from couple last days and was happy to see that Hartnell got plus 15min game time again, last year he didnt get that from Torch, but now he is with his old coach from Flyers time and Laviolette know how to use Hartnell. Hartnell can be comeback player of the year, if not in the whole NHL at least in my team. Do you guys have any info, why Raanta didnt start Arizona game and why he only played one pre-season game, is he injured, i tryed look out info but didnt find any? Domingue didnt play great pre-season so was surprised to see him in goal.

Last teams from my teams news.

Vancouver Canuks

Teams go to season for two young Sweden goalies, Markström was once very higly rated young talent, but he havent been able to play as levl what it was predicted to him. Nilsson played good season in the in the Buffalo and couple year ago he was sortly starter in EDM when he was playing better than Talbot, but he never played over 30 game in one season. Teams is full of question marks, D-group is too weak to playoffs, same for forward group, and goalies and coach, so all indicate that team dropp out. Do we see Sedins in another team than Vancouver after trade deadline? It is possible.

Goalie outlook

1. Markström 45-40 game

2. Nilsson 35-40 game

Vegas Golden Knights

No one wait playoff spot from them, so its not probably even huge dissapointment if they end in last place, but i think they could beat Colorado and maybe even Arizona and Vancouver in the West. Why because they have good coach. Good goalies and solid D-group. I think they GM McPhee made awfull job in the expansion draft, there was so much better players available than he eventually choose to team. Team is close to salary cap and they dont have any big star players, they team is full of players who are overpayed and McPhee, did take them instead good promising young players who he could choose, he selected to take those overpayed players to get some draft picks, what he is alway minor lotto in the new teams.

Goalie outlook

1. Fleury 55-60 game

2. Pickard 25-30 game

PS. After i got my news ready, Vegas traded Picard and claimed M. Subban from waiwers, once Subban was very higly rated young goalie, but he was back up in AHL last year so, i dont wait a lot from him and i think it was huge mistake to trade Picard. They probably try to find new back up before trade deadline.

Washington Capitals

In paper they are weaker team than last year, they lost couple key player, but team is still very good, they have big stars in offence and in D-group and in the goal. Plus they have very good coach behind bench, i wait them win second President Trophy (most points as team in regular season). Biggest question mark is can they fill those lost players. (Johansson, Williams, Shattenkirk, Alzner, Schmidt)

Goalie outlook

1. Holtby 55-60 game

2. Grubauer 25-30 game

Winnipeg Jets

Its was little bit surprising to see that coach Maurice kept his job. Team roster is good enough to go in the playoffs and time to time, they play very good hockey, but they go in the losing streaks every year what cost them playoff spot, plus last years defence play has been weak and they didnt improve that in this summer. They offence group is very talented and young, there is Laine who could win Richard trophy in this year. They defence play have to improve, they signed Mason in the goal, but as Calgary, you dont fix defence problems with signing new goalie, you have to sign better defensive defenders and two-way players and start to defence better.

1. Mason 40-45 game

2. Hellebuyck 40-45 game

Edited by von Rantala

YES Stalock will start today against Carolina and Saros will play in NSH goal against PIT. I will wait that 10-15 game to decide which two of goalies i choose from Dubnyk, Stalock and Saros to play rest of season.

Do you guys have any info, why Raanta didnt start Arizona game and why he only played one pre-season game, is he injured, i tryed look out info but didnt find any? Domingue didnt play great pre-season so was surprised to see him in goal.

Yeah, Raanta was injured. He should be playing this weekend

• Like 1

Yeah, Raanta was injured. He should be playing this weekend

Okey thanks mate, didnt find any info from here, or ESPN or TSN.

Wow what a game from Mikko Koivu last night, yes he made one own goal too, but that was just unlucky, its bounched from his stick to goal, it was mis communigation with Stalock. He played great game against Detroit too, but was unlucky when one goal where he was assister was taken away and then he didnt put puck in the empty net but wide. But in this game all unluckyness payed back, he tie game when only 0,3 sec was left on to game and we got point from the game. Carolina was better team, but we was able to get one point. We are still very rusty in defence zone. We truly miss Scott Stevens. Also we was without Granlund and Parise in game against Carolina and was able to get one point. Stalock played ok game, but was not shining what i did wait from him. He was not better than Dubnyk in his first game. We have to start defence better. But its very common that in start of season some part of you game is lost and you just have to find it, i hope it not take too long. Next game will be difficult game against Hawks, we lost two game against weaker teams, so now we have to improve our game and start to won game's if we want to be one of best in our division.

Here is that Koivu goal what is one of my all time favorite goals.

https://www.nhl.com/video/koivu-ties-game-in-last-second/t-290847910/c-53275803

Because this goal, lose dont hurt so much.

Edited by von Rantala

Video of Ian Cole blocking the puck with his face.. graphic content.. That had to hurt

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/look-penguins-ian-cole-shares-gruesome-photo-after-taking-puck-to-face/

• Like 1

Woah, great win against Hawks when we lost three top six forward from game. Before game against Columbus started i wished that we could get even one point, because we was without Granlund, Parise, Coyle, Niederreiter and Foligno all our top 8 players what left only Staal and Koivu and Zucker healthy. We had to call up 4 AHL player in the roster lol. But we lead by two goal couple time, we just didnt defence at all. Dubnyk won game for us against Chicago but was playing badly against Columbus. We was so unlucky with couple situations, first Zucker hit the post and couple min later samekind situation from Clb they hit post but it bounched to goal. LoL. And CLB winning could should have never happen because it was clear penalty what referrees didnt call just before CLB goal. I think i never havent seen this unlucky season opener from Wild. We truly miss Scott Stevens (assist coach) and Scandella in D. At least we are fighting and we give our heart in the game, so i am not worried yet, we only lost four point when we have been without our big star player, we just have to baddle through injuries and get enough point so we have chance to playoff once all are healthy again. I dont know how long we our without Parise, Granlund, Coyle, Nino and Foligno. Its show a lot promiss that we was able to won Chicago and was able to lead most of game against Columbus with all these injuries.

Edited by von Rantala

f*** i am angry how f***ing bad our defence is, i followed Wild from 2005 season and this is worst defence game what they have showed since i started follow them. Lets be honest we try and we fight in offence zone we have right attidute in there but our defence just suck. Enemy throw puck in the net and our guys just stand and watch. I dont blame only our defenders, yes Dumba has been worst player in d-zone what i probably never seen, and i probably kick him from my fantasy team, and Olofsson has been lost, but he is just rookie you cant blame him, but biggest reason our bad defence has been our forwards. Staal dont do shit in d-zone, cullen dont do shit, Koivu try his best and make couple great save in every game, and Zucker do his part, but rest just dont defence at all, our blue paint is own by oponed teams. You cant blame Dubnyk too much even that he havent made any big saves, you cant only blame him. Yes we have four big forward out where Parise, Granlund and Coyle are usually in our PK and are good two-way forwards, but it not explain how badly Staal and Cullen has played in D-zone. We have won only one game from our first five and its ugly. Yes i knew that we had shitty schedule for first two week when we had only four game, you cant get rythm going and we have all the injuries, but it not explain our d-game. Most ridicles is that our commentators before game praise how well Staal played, even that Bruce gave him indirect negative feedback on his game in d-zone. We have should get at least point against Winnipeg. We have lead four game from five but only won one.

Great game from Stalock, i hope Bruce will use him in next game too. Was very important win to us from Calgary, it did look bad in one point when we lost lead, and Bruce made huge mistake and challange Cgy goal which they got PP and made second goal. But we was able to fight back and won the game. I hope we use Stalock in next game. He has been better in his two game than Dubnyk in his four.

I think VEG GM regred now that he traded Goalie Picard for free in the Toronto. Both they goalies injured and are out at least couple weeks. Picard is NHL lvl goalie and i am surprised that Toronto did send him to AHL when Andersen stats are very poor and Picard is a lot better back up than McElhinney. Also i am surprised that Vegas keep Shea Theodore in the AHL, he should be in NHL already, now he is dominating in AHL.