Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Gengis

Apple has officially unveiled the future of the smartphone in the OLED iPhone X, the company's nod to the tenth anniversary of the iPhone itself in a presentation at the venue named after the founder of Apple -- Steve Jobs Theater.

The iPhone X (Ten) Super Retina Display is edge to edge, and has a HDR 2436 by 1125 resolution at 458 pixels per inch -- and no home button. As predicted, a notch is cut out of the top of the screen for the speaker, forward-facing camera, and the new 3D facial recognition sensor.

Speaking to other design features, the phone has a glass back, vaguely reminiscent of the back of the iPhone 4. A "surgical-grade" stainless steel frame surrounds the device.

Home button functions are replaced by a swipe up. Siri in invoked by pressing and holding the button on the right hand side of the device.

• Like 5

Apple denies iPhone X failed in onstage demo, says Face ID feature worked as intended

Responding to media outlets and critics eager to report that iPhone X's tentpole Face ID feature failed during Tuesday's keynote presentation, Apple on Wednesday issued a statement saying the handset, and more importantly the biometric feature, worked as intended.

During Apple's iPhone X unveiling on Tuesday, executive Craig Federighi at the start of a live demonstration was forced to move to a backup model after a first unit seemingly failed to unlock as planned. Media glommed onto the story, in some cases touting the mishap as proof of Face ID's first -- spectacular -- failure.

Seen in the video below, Federighi picks up iPhone X and attempts to unlock it with Face ID, a process that requires the user to look at the TrueDepth camera and swipe up on the screen. When a first try fails, he puts the device to sleep and goes through the process again. That second attempt was also unsuccessful.

On iPhone's display a prompt showed up, saying, "Your passcode is required to enable Face ID." The alert sparked speculation that Face ID had failed.

In a statement to Yahoo's David Pogue, Apple maintains the demo iPhone X was functional and Face ID did its job. It seems the iPhone in question attempted to authenticate one or more employees tasked to set up the demo area prior to the big reveal. When it failed to recognize their face or faces, it defaulted to passcode, as per Apple's security protocol.

Tonight, I was able to contact Apple. After examining the logs of the demo iPhone X, they now know exactly what went down. Turns out my first theory in this story was wrong-- but my first UPDATE theory above was correct: "People were handling the device for stage demo ahead of time," says a rep, "and didn't realize Face ID was trying to authenticate their face. After failing a number of times, because they weren't Craig, the iPhone did what it was designed to do, which was to require his passcode." In other words, "Face ID worked as it was designed to."

To protect against spoofing and hardware hacks, Apple's biometric systems are automatically disabled after a predetermined number of unsuccessful attempts. Touch ID, for example, gives users five attempts to authenticate with their finger before requiring a passcode. Apple documentation shows Face ID allows only two tries before being disabled.

How the second device made it onstage without attempting to authenticate random Apple employees is unknown.

Apple is known for its highly polished product demonstrations, having transformed the traditionally dry onstage presentations into a type of art form. Under late cofounder Steve Jobs, product unveilings evolved into hotly anticipated spectacle. Indeed, Jobs' own keynote presentations became known as "Jobsnotes."

Apple keynote presenters rehearse each scripted segment, prepare minute details and, as seen in Federighi's demo, plan for potential hiccups.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Who in the flying f*** pays 999 dollars for a phone! I don't know about you guys, but I: (1) call, (2) get called, (3) WhatsApp, (4) play 1 game that obviously my current phone can run just fine.

:wacko:

Edited by Flible
  • Like 2

Those are not phones anymore. They are portable computers.

I agree .... i dont see the point pf paying $ 999 for a phone.

Gengis