Invalid GUID

oiramix

I made a new etkey using a GUID generator (there's plenty of them, just google it) and a blank text document (extension .txt) . Here's what I did:

1. Obtained a GUID from a GUID generator.

2. Created a new text document in my ET main folder.

3. Pasted the GUID in the new document and renamed the document to etkey

4. Removed the .txt at the end of the name so that it's name became etkey instead of etkey.txt

After doing the above I didn't get the invalid GUID message. I did /pb_myguid to make sure that ET recognized the new GUID, and it did.

Anyone know what the error ET: // 94.75.233.44:27960 means? I get it when I try to connect to Jay #2 (for some reason other F|A servers aren't on the list)

Edited by symmetry
  • Like 1

I made a new etkey using a GUID generator (there's plenty of them, just google it) and a blank text document (extension .txt) . Here's what I did:

1. Obtained a GUID from a GUID generator.

2. Created a new text document in my ET main folder.

3. Pasted the GUID in the new document and renamed the document to etkey

4. Removed the .txt at the end of the name so that it's name became etkey instead of etkey.txt

After doing the above I didn't get the invalid GUID message. I did /pb_myguid to make sure that ET recognized the new GUID, and it did.

Anyone know what the error ET: // 94.75.233.44:27960 means? I get it when I try to connect to Jay #2 (for some reason other F|A servers aren't on the list)

I just tested this on my own servers and can say it works fine at least for now. Our pb_sv_guidrelax is set to 0, so it kicks instantly for no GUID. I played 2 maps with no problem.

Thanks for the info Symmetry

i would not us it m8 most gen have old guid that have been banned i would know i us to do the same thing for diablo when i lost my key for it i used a gen like that one time and i got banned you guys don't us guid off the net what vero and them did try it

i would not us it m8 most gen have old guid that have been banned i would know i us to do the same thing for diablo when i lost my key for it i used a gen like that one time and i got banned you guys don't us guid off the net what vero and them did try it

True, I haven't tried that myself. Then again I tried symmetrys method last night and it worked fine. Eventually though you'll come across a GUID that likely has been used in a game or someplace else. Although the probability of that happening seems fairly low from what I'm reading.

From the website I posted the link to earlier

How unique is a GUID?

128-bits is big enough and the generation algorithm is unique enough that if 1,000,000,000 GUIDs per second were generated for 1 year the probability of a duplicate would be only 50%. Or if every human on Earth generated 600,000,000 GUIDs there would only be a 50% probability of a duplicate.

and from wikipedia, which I know is not the most trustworthy site, but it still backs up the uniqueness of a GUIDs probability of duplicate.

Randomly generated UUIDs like those generated by the java.util.UUID class have 122 random bits. There are 128 bits altogether with 4 bits being used for the version ('Randomly generated UUID'), and 2 bits for the variant ('Leach-Salz'). With random UUIDs, the chance of two having the same value can be calculated using probability theory (Birthday paradox). Using the approximation

79bfef7602a2aaf84701d86dbd2d20d1.png

these are the probabilities of an accidental clash after calculating n UUIDs, with x=2122:

n probability

68,719,476,736 = 236 0.0000000000000004 (4 × 10−16)

2,199,023,255,552 = 241 0.0000000000004 (4 × 10−13)

70,368,744,177,664 = 246 0.0000000004 (4 × 10−10)

To put these numbers into perspective, one's annual risk of being hit by a meteorite is estimated to be one chance in 17 billion [24], that means the probability is about 0.00000000006 (6 × 10−11), equivalent to the odds of creating a few tens of trillions of UUIDs in a year and having one duplicate. In other words, only after generating 1 billion UUIDs every second for the next 100 years, the probability of creating just one duplicate would be about 50%. The probability of one duplicate would be about 50% if every person on earth owns 600 million UUIDs.

However, these probabilities only hold when the UUIDs are generated using sufficient entropy. Otherwise the probability of duplicates may be significantly higher, since the statistical dispersion may be lower.

[edit] History

Another option a few people may have already (if taking a programming class, etc) is to use the GUIDgen.exe that comes with Visual Studio or find a copy. Microsoft has several pages on it. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kw069h38.aspx

Edited by NoGooD