New PC Parts

Puni

Hey guys, 

I'm about to buy new GPU and RAM for my PC.

My motherboard is - Gigabite GA X79-UD5.

Current ram is 6GB (anyway instead of openning my box to check if its 2133 /1800 ??).

Current GPU is fking bad to mention it here :P  - Amd Radeon HD 6450, 512 MB.

CPU - i7 3820 3.60 GHz - 3.80 GHz.

Can someone give me list of best GPUs that suitable for my MB ?

Plus, what is better ? in case I got 6GB of 2133...

6GB of DDR3 2133 VS 16GB of DDR3 1600 ?

Thanks,

Puni

What is the output of your Power Supply? We can't suggest any GPU without knowing whether your computer will start once you put it in :P

As for your memory, speed doesn't really matter that much to be honest. You're not going to see any noticeable performance gains between 1600-2133MHz. And unless you're overclocking... truth is your RAM probably isn't running at the stated frequency. What matters is whether you're running out of memory and what it is you do on your machine.

If you're playing ET or (honestly) any other game with 30 browser tabs open, and watching videos online, 6-8 gigs sounds perfect. If you're doing something like encoding video, editing large photos in PS with multiple layers, or dropping a monster track using FL Studio, then 16 gigs makes sense.

If you pull the lid off your case to confirm the PSU wattage, also check to see how many sticks of RAM are installed. It probably wouldn't hurt to buy another 2gb module to bring you up to 8 gigs (which has been considered the "sweet spot" for awhile now). Added bonus: If you have three modules installed and put another in- you'll be running at quad channel and your mobo will automatically boost the speed.

Edited by Xernicus

What is the output of your Power Supply? We can't suggest any GPU without knowing whether your computer will start once you put it in :P

As for your memory, speed doesn't really matter that much to be honest. You're not going to see any noticeable performance gains between 1600-2133MHz. And unless you're overclocking... truth is your RAM probably isn't running at the stated frequency. What matters is whether you're running out of memory and what it is you do on your machine.

If you're playing ET or (honestly) any other game with 30 browser tabs open, and watching videos online, 6-8 gigs sounds perfect. If you're doing something like encoding video, editing large photos in PS with multiple layers, or dropping a monster track using FL Studio, then 16 gigs makes sense.

If you pull the lid off your case to confirm the PSU wattage, also check to see how many sticks of RAM are installed. It probably wouldn't hurt to buy another 2gb module to bring you up to 8 gigs (which has been considered the "sweet spot" for awhile now). Added bonus: If you have three modules installed and put another in- you'll be running at quad channel and your mobo will automatically boost the speed.

How can I check the output of my Power Supply ?

Take the cover off of your PC and check the label that's on the power supply. It'll either be in big bright letters, or under max power/max wattage.

Take the cover off of your PC and check the label that's on the power supply. It'll either be in big bright letters, or under max power/max wattage.

This.

It's usually fairly obvious, example Corsair use the format xx123 for example CX600 (is 600watt) and this is big and bold on the PSU

Edited by Chuckun

Hiho Puni

in my oppinion more RAM are better  :-)

As Graka i think it´s a question of money ......

I like the geforce 1070 but here it cost between 400 and 500 €.

A List ......https://www.computerbase.de/thema/grafikkarte/rangliste/

Edited by Smoky

thats 500w max. (I assume u use linux or some other 64bit system if u want use more then 4gb mem).

64bit , win7 prem

Hiho Puni

in my oppinion more RAM are better  :-)

As Graka i think it´s a question of money ......

I like the geforce 1070 but here it cost between 400 and 500 €.

A List ......https://www.computerbase.de/thema/grafikkarte/rangliste/

yes, but I wonder about the GPU.. the one I've mentioned.

Sapphire Nitro AMD Radeon RX 460 4G D5 4GB GDDR5

Will it fit my MB ?

Help please guys !

I've bought a gpu due the seller's recommandtion, but when I plug it in and turn on the pc to install drivers - nothing happens.

The pc is on, but screen is off, Keyboard & mouse are not attached, and I cant do anything with the pc.

I plugged the old GPU back in and all is good

Sounds like it might not be getting enough power.

First of all, I believe that card requires a 6 or 8 pin power connector in addition to what's provided by the PCI-e slot. Did you make sure to connect the power connector to the card?
plug.jpg

When you turned on your PC, could you tell if your OS was booting either by seeing the HD activity light flash or hearing the HD seeking noises?

Edited by Xernicus

By noise, seem everything goes fine.

Plus, I dont have the 2/4/6/8 pins to connect inside the card - its pinless.

I got 500W which goes for the new card, 256 SSD, x79-ud5 and i7 3820

By noise, seem everything goes fine.

Plus, I dont have the 2/4/6/8 pins to connect inside the card - its pinless.

I got 500W which goes for the new card, 256 SSD, x79-ud5 and i7 3820

Your 500 watt PSU should be enough.

130W for CPU, 75W for GPU, 2W for SSD, 12W for RAM... About 220W.

But really? It's pinless? Really?! I mean it doesn't need the extra 12v connector, but every Nitro 400 series card I've seen has had one. Even the images on Amazon and whatnot show the pins.

Well in that case... here's what I'd try (if you haven't already): Re-seat the card. (unplug it and plug it back in). Make sure you're not using any adapters such as DVI to VGA, HDMI to DVI, etc. Try to boot your computer again. If there's still no output, then I suppose the card must be DOA.

Honestly, I've used Sapphire cards for at least 6 years (Had a 5450 actually), and I've never run into any problems with them. Where did you buy yours? Was it used?

One more thing... I don't think this is the problem, but one thing I read was that someone's motherboard required a BIOS update in order to use the card. Have you ever updated your BIOS?

Latest stable revision here: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_x79-ud5_f12.exe

You would use the @BIOS application to flash your BIOS. I happen to have a Gigabyte motherboard- I can give you some screenshots if you'd like.

http://sapphirenitro.sapphiretech.com/en/460.html#specification

System Requirement

450 Watt Power Supply (Suggestion) 1 x 6-pin AUX Power Connector <------- it seems to be hidden behind the shroud.

Before trying BIOS update, just try to CLEAR CMOS. You can also try to unplug USB devices. Seating GPU might mess with RAM sticks etc...