As you guys may already know... I'm building my first PC (need feedback)

FireWienie

So today was the day I decided to visit Canada Computers, and surprisingly... It was more expensive than Amazon. Yes, if we add shipping Amazon would be more expensive, but all parts I have chosen are eligible for Prime, which luckily my older brother has. 

So the total price for everything at Canada Computers, before tax, was $1219 CAD, while Amazon's total reaches $1087.05 CAD. Guess I'll be buying from there.

• Like 1

just put the following together today.

That thing flies for 830$

Baseline Bench: Game 70%, Desk 83%, Work 55%
Total: $828
  • Like 1

Sorry for reviving a somewhat dead/inactive thread, and sorry for taking a while to reply...

I've decided that due to increased prices of my chosen GPU, I will be purchasing all parts EXCEPT the 1060, but will be buying the 550 ti ($77 CAD) for temporary use until prices begin to hover around their original. It may take a few months for prices to lower, possibly even more, and I am somewhat confused of whether I should just buy it considering I'm not sure if I'm willing to be stuck with an old graphics card for that long. 

What is your guys' thoughts? To add why I am not just simply buying the PC build right now considering I have the money, my father has a say in this and is recommending that I wait for prices to lower. I can simply tell him that I am fine with paying what the price is currently, but I am trying to avoid any sort of argument or "bad looks" since it really is my first time buying something requiring this much money (even for my age). Growing up with strict parents, I am trying to avoid losing my chances of buying expensive equipment online due to "not understanding the worth of money", so again, I'd rather not discuss this with my dad (no I will not take any chances in case anyone suggests that I should).

Thank you for any suggestion :)

If you're going to effectively waste $77 you may as well just pay full price now :P

EDIT: But not if it's going to cause personal issues.  That is never worth it.

Edited by Chuckun
  • Like 1

If you're going to effectively waste $77 you may as well just pay full price now :P

EDIT: But not if it's going to cause personal issues.  That is never worth it.

I thought about what you said and talked to him about it. He seems reluctant when he agreed and said I could buy it, but in a tone similar to "I don't care anymore, you're not going to listen anyways". Might just talk to him this weekend :/

Thanks though, I really never thought this would turn into what is happening currently lmao.

I thought about what you said and talked to him about it. He seems reluctant when he agreed and said I could buy it, but in a tone similar to "I don't care anymore, you're not going to listen anyways". Might just talk to him this weekend :/

Thanks though, I really never thought this would turn into what is happening currently lmao.

lol every parent give that tone. 

well as chuk said its waste of 77$. post your final build here. we can see what small changes we can do so it u can get a gpu.

• Like 1

lol every parent give that tone. 

well as chuk said its waste of 77$. post your final build here. we can see what small changes we can do so it u can get a gpu.

I'll be sure to post the results here, I mean it's the least I can do after all of the help I've received from all of you. 

Sorry for reviving a somewhat dead/inactive thread, and sorry for taking a while to reply...

I've decided that due to increased prices of my chosen GPU, I will be purchasing all parts EXCEPT the 1060, but will be buying the 550 ti ($77 CAD) for temporary use until prices begin to hover around their original. It may take a few months for prices to lower, possibly even more, and I am somewhat confused of whether I should just buy it considering I'm not sure if I'm willing to be stuck with an old graphics card for that long. 

What is your guys' thoughts? To add why I am not just simply buying the PC build right now considering I have the money, my father has a say in this and is recommending that I wait for prices to lower. I can simply tell him that I am fine with paying what the price is currently, but I am trying to avoid any sort of argument or "bad looks" since it really is my first time buying something requiring this much money (even for my age). Growing up with strict parents, I am trying to avoid losing my chances of buying expensive equipment online due to "not understanding the worth of money", so again, I'd rather not discuss this with my dad (no I will not take any chances in case anyone suggests that I should).

Thank you for any suggestion :)

Here's what I have to say, now that you've mentioned the parts are rolling in.

It's stupid to buy something that's "temporary" if you're going to be replacing it soon. Especially with a card like that, which you'll never be able to recoup your losses. It's *much* better to wait and buy a decent GPU that's used.

I've been in a similar situation as you have... around 3-4 years ago, I had my 2GB GPU fail on me due to overheating (fan failed), and I bought a R7 250 as an emergency card. I stuck with this card for a year or two, and it was ultimately a waste of my money. I have no regrets- as I already had my PC built, and I needed a GPU asap so I could use it... You're luckier as you haven't built this PC yet, and as a student you're (should be) on break.

Trust me as an adult and a "super user"- spending this money on a crappy component will only have you spend money sooner, and you'll be out 77CAD.

Another "adult" note: why do you *need* the 1060? Nobody needs to play games at ultra-high settings at 100+ fps.

(just trying to help you win the inevitable argument with your dad :P)

If you don't need this PC ASAP out of real necessity, I'd recommend waiting for a good card to roll in on eBay used. Your dad will thank you.