As you guys may already know... I'm building my first PC (need feedback)

FireWienie

Hey guys, sorry for the inactivity :P

As some of you may have already found out, I'm building my very first computer next week (or I'm going to Canada Computers to get my parts). I've decided on what parts I want, but I feel feedback is very important. Here is a list of what my computer build is:

CPU 51m7931xzhL.jpg

$151.17
  Motherboard cbe65d40f9f23273011a79b0b0263d07.256p.jp

$86.99
  Memory e67996ac91882f9b74bead4e71043939.256p.jp

$93.99
  Storage 51fbLQLVJFL.jpg

$59.95
  Video Card 51TZ0RXe7BL.jpg

$374.99
  Case 1a49982c9c4cd6d96ec0141fb068ddca.256p.jp

$94.99
  Power Supply 51OYPRzd8RL.jpg

$54.99

Total - $917.07 CDN

So there it is. The prices listed are how much they are being sold (cheapest) on online retailers such as amazon Canada, so it might alter, especially at Canada Computers, but my goal is to build one for around or less than $1000 CDN excluding tax (which is 13% HST). I wouldn't bother me if it reaches $1100 CDN, but I want to avoid it if necessary. 

I'm sort of confused as of whether I should upgrade the i3 - 6100 to a i5 - 6600 for about $140 CDN more, and would like your guys' opinion. My siblings recommend that I do exactly that.

Also forgot to mention, my goal is to run most, if not all, AAA games at 1080p ultra settings at 60fps. I'm not interested in 120 Hz, or 1440p, just 1080p 60fps or higher. I am not planning on overclocking the CPU.

The CD-ROM is not added because I will be taking it from my no-longer-working Optiplex, as it is still functional.

For the ram, I want to know if there may be more powerful sticks that aren't MUCH more expensive than what is already listed.

I might buy LED strips to make it look fancy, because honestly what is gaming if there isn't any RGB  ;)

Lastly, I am not interested in buying any AMD cards. I am a fan of AMD themselves, but I just want to have my build to hold a GTX 1060 6gb as it has many high reviews and not too many complaints.

Thanks for the feedback to whoever replies <3 ,

Wienie

P.S. if you find any parts and are not sure what the price is in Canada, just go to https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/ , create a build, and just type in your part name. It lists all the prices based off different websites and what they are selling it for.

P.S.S. I am also aware that the price on pcpartpicker will most probably not be accurate to what it may be in actual stores, but it gives a rough idea. I will be holding some extra cash in case.

P.S.S.S. Yes I know about the GPU price spike from the cryptominers, but Canada Computers is selling there graphics card for around its normal price range (375 bucks CDN for the graphics card I'm buying). I might just check on them just in case.

P.S.S.S.S. sorry if the format is wacky

• Like 1

I kind-of agree to go for a i5 then i3  Just my input... If you satisfied with a i3 just avg surfing and stuff that is ok.  But I would get the i5 for gaming.

• Like 2

• Platinum VIP

For the small additional price, Core i7, IMO and I think Corsair Ram is less expensive than Kingston, but is a great product

I would say i5 too.. Minimal price difference but substantially better IMO, and will fit in with your chosen GPU better

• Like 1

I kind-of agree to go for a i5 then i3  Just my input... If you satisfied with a i3 just avg surfing and stuff that is ok.  But I would get the i5 for gaming.

For the small additional price, Core i7, IMO and I think Corsair Ram is less expensive than Kingston, but is a great product

I would say i5 too.. Minimal price difference but substantially better IMO, and will fit in with your chosen GPU better

i5 it is then. I'm fine with spending extra money for it if it makes my gaming experience significantly better. I don't really think I need an i7, I'm not really down to spend that much more for something that won't really make a huge difference. 

I'll look at more RAMs, I'm hoping to get about 8 gigs minimum, but I've heard that 12 and 16 are much more reliable for gaming, especially for triple A games out right now.

You can´t run RAM any higher than 2133MHz on that chipset anyways.

Alright, but what I meant for more power was more sticks, or more GB or ram. 

i5 it is then. I'm fine with spending extra money for it if it makes my gaming experience significantly better. I don't really think I need an i7, I'm not really down to spend that much more for something that won't really make a huge difference.

I'll look at more RAMs, I'm hoping to get about 8 gigs minimum, but I've heard that 12 and 16 are much more reliable for gaming, especially for triple A games out right now.

Alright, but what I meant for more power was more sticks, or more GB or ram.

Some would argue you need more RAM but I disagree. Unless you have a history of maxing out on 8gb ram then I wouldn't waste your money.. If you ever start maxing out then you can upgrade later.. For me I would go 8gb ram

Of course always go for multiple sticks though.. 2x4 like you said not 1x8

Edited by Chuckun
  • Like 1

Some would argue you need more RAM but I disagree. Unless you have a history of maxing out on 8gb ram then I wouldn't waste your money.. If you ever start maxing out then you can upgrade later.. For me I would go 8gb ram

Of course always go for multiple sticks though.. 2x4 like you said not 1x8

Yeah I was told to get 2x4 instead of 1x8. I remember reading an article of why it's better but I'm not sure if I remember the science to it. I can't find any Corsair sticks that are cheaper, so I might stick with HyperX. When I get the actual parts I might reply to this forum in case I need any help.

Looks good! My laptop does not even have a graphics card I don't think, but I get 2.4 GHZ, so I can run games like Fallout New Vegas, Cod, Garry's mod, CSGO, etc.

Looks good! My laptop does not even have a graphics card I don't think, but I get 2.4 GHZ, so I can run games like Fallout New Vegas, Cod, Garry's mod, CSGO, etc.

That's pretty good tbh! My older computer was barely able to run games made around 2008 (at about 25 fps at lowest resolution and settings). Garry's Mod ran pretty fine, but Fallout and CSGO were practically unplayable. 

I feel it's long time due to get a new computer, and I might just get insurgency and CoD4 to play with the community again :)

dam didnt knew u made a topic for PC build. i have made a topic to build a pc too. gaming pc, which i m sure u are also trying to make one.

here is my topic --> https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/88428-new-pc-build-soon/?do=findComment&comment=769306

as i see u know the website pcpartpicker . so have u checked the compatiblity with all of them. are all the parts u picked are compatible. 

and also use this website to see the values u gonna get out of the build --> http://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S46901-M208556.188434.19175.104952vsS46639-M211583.165268.19175.89430

i suggest go with AMD Ryzen series. its new , its great for gaming+other stuff. and is less price compare to Intel and is better than some intel high performance chips.

GPU  and CPU are the main so invest in those as much as u can . i3 is too low for u. go with ryzen 5 1600. its best or if u can go up go with 1800 ( but its costly ) 

with RAM 2 8gb are more enough than u can think. or take 1 8gb than taking 2 4gb. it uses up the slots more. and its less costly to get 1 8gb , then getting 2 4gb.

case is sooo fcking dope. i love nzxt cases. but they are fcking costly in india lol. 

dude dont rush take a week off and just check your options and then go. i m building a pc too but it will be end of year and i have started searching from now lol. 

so check your options. 1000$ , man u can make a fcking epic pc . check some youtubers , they build budget pcs, like under 1000$, , under 800$ etc..

some of the youtubers i follow and thye are fking awesome in explaining stuff etc .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChIZGfcnjHI0DG4nweWEduw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkWQ0gDrqOCarmUKmppD7GQ

Do yourself a favor and get a SSD

I know how important SSDs are for quick boots and its speed in general is astounding, but I feel it is not a priority for me... For now. I like to travel a lot and I am a social person, which is why I'm not spending so much on this PC. It's really just meant for something to do while I'm at home, so boot time and how fast things are moved or opened really isn't a priority at the moment. SSDs are not extremely expensive, in fact I do have enough money to add an SSD, but I'd rather not for now.

Thanks for your feed back :)

dam didnt knew u made a topic for PC build. i have made a topic to build a pc too. gaming pc, which i m sure u are also trying to make one.

here is my topic --> https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/88428-new-pc-build-soon/?do=findComment&comment=769306

as i see u know the website pcpartpicker . so have u checked the compatiblity with all of them. are all the parts u picked are compatible. 

and also use this website to see the values u gonna get out of the build --> http://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S46901-M208556.188434.19175.104952vsS46639-M211583.165268.19175.89430

i suggest go with AMD Ryzen series. its new , its great for gaming+other stuff. and is less price compare to Intel and is better than some intel high performance chips.

GPU  and CPU are the main so invest in those as much as u can . i3 is too low for u. go with ryzen 5 1600. its best or if u can go up go with 1800 ( but its costly ) 

with RAM 2 8gb are more enough than u can think. or take 1 8gb than taking 2 4gb. it uses up the slots more. and its less costly to get 1 8gb , then getting 2 4gb.

case is sooo fcking dope. i love nzxt cases. but they are fcking costly in india lol. 

dude dont rush take a week off and just check your options and then go. i m building a pc too but it will be end of year and i have started searching from now lol. 

so check your options. 1000$ , man u can make a fcking epic pc . check some youtubers , they build budget pcs, like under 1000$, , under 800$ etc..

some of the youtubers i follow and thye are fking awesome in explaining stuff etc .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChIZGfcnjHI0DG4nweWEduw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkWQ0gDrqOCarmUKmppD7GQ

Thanks a lot Kariz, very informative and thanks a lot for the program you sent me. Never heard of it and it seems very useful. As for Ryzen, I decided to go with Intel i5 just because I've heard great reviews, and same with Ryzen, but for this build I'm sticking with intel. As for the RAM sticks I decided to not take the cheaper route, but buy 2x4 as I've heard it is more beneficial. I've been planning on building a computer for a year now, and these parts are what I've chosen after research of price, power, and other factors.

I've watched JayZ and really love his content. I used to like TechSource until the whole drama popped up and how insincere his apology was to his fans. But in general, great YouTubers and I did get some ideas off of them (their benchmarks and such).

Also doing more research I saw the i5 7500 and 7600 both being sold for similar prices as the 6600. Should I go with the 7600 instead?

• Like 1

I know how important SSDs are for quick boots and its speed in general is astounding, but I feel it is not a priority for me... For now. I like to travel a lot and I am a social person, which is why I'm not spending so much on this PC. It's really just meant for something to do while I'm at home, so boot time and how fast things are moved or opened really isn't a priority at the moment. SSDs are not extremely expensive, in fact I do have enough money to add an SSD, but I'd rather not for now.

Thanks for your feed back :)

Thanks a lot Kariz, very informative and thanks a lot for the program you sent me. Never heard of it and it seems very useful. As for Ryzen, I decided to go with Intel i5 just because I've heard great reviews, and same with Ryzen, but for this build I'm sticking with intel. As for the RAM sticks I decided to not take the cheaper route, but buy 2x4 as I've heard it is more beneficial. I've been planning on building a computer for a year now, and these parts are what I've chosen after research of price, power, and other factors.

I've watched JayZ and really love his content. I used to like TechSource until the whole drama popped up and how insincere his apology was to his fans. But in general, great YouTubers and I did get some ideas off of them (their benchmarks and such).

Also doing more research I saw the i5 7500 and 7600 both being sold for similar prices as the 6600. Should I go with the 7600 instead?

I would go for the 7500 or 7600 if the price is right, but be aware that you would need the b250 mobo instead of the 150 you chose..

I would go for the 7500 or 7600 if the price is right, but be aware that you would need the b250 mobo instead of the 150 you chose..

Yeah I put the 7600 and pcpartpicker notified me of a problem. I switch the motherboard to b250 and surprisingly it's actually cheaper than the b150.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130991&nm_mc=AFC-C8JunctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10592396&PID=3938566&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-%zn

pcpartpicker did not notice any other problem after that, so I think I should be able to create this build without any problem. Here's the updated list with everything that was changed.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JPDThq

If anyone spots any could-be problems, please notify me asap. I have a few days left until I finalize everything and buy my parts.

Thanks a lot :)