Getting back into things - New Rig build

wh!rlw!nd

Howdy guys n gals.

Been away for a while now due to work commitments (Changed jobs so no more 3 out of 12 hour night shifts on ET!) but now looking to get back into things, and first things first I need a new rig. I havent got bundles of cash, so decided to go AMD Ryzen over Intel, purely for the bang for buck factor. I will be using this for some gaming (ET mainly but open to try new things) and Video editing / web development.

If you guys have any feedback it'd be much appreciated! I am also looking for a Monitor (For as close to £100 as possible!)

Here is the current set up (I was given the GPU by a work colleague for free!)

Motherboard
Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4

CPU
AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core

Video Card
Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE

SSD
Samsung Evo 850 250GB

RAM

2 x 4GB Corsair - Vengeance LPX DDR4-2800

PSU
Corsair CSM 650W

Case
Corsair - Spec -03 - Blue  ** I have no preference here, just USB 3 and SD Reader. I figured Corsair PSU and Corsair Case would be a good match!

Full Spec / Price details:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HTc6bj

I would suggest a different video card that is 4gb GDDR5. Good cards include AMD RX480/580 (if available), NVIDIA GTX 970/980.

2GB of vram simply isn't enough to play the latest AAA games at Ultra settings, and this would bottleneck your Ryzen CPU.

Personally, I think that mobo is a poor choice for a few reasons:
-Limited PCIe lanes (this will prevent expansions for sound cards, SATA cards, video cards in the future)

-The VRMs are a limiting factor for a Ryzen 7 and overclocking

-And also, my past and current experience with GB mobos has been poor regarding Load Line Calibration, vcore stability, and setting the NB VID.

I would suggest either an ASUS ROG AM4 mobo or an ASRock Fata1ity.

Hopefully I'll be able to link shortly, I'm having issues with my adblocker.

• Like 1

I would suggest a different video card that is 4gb GDDR5. Good cards include AMD RX480/580 (if available), NVIDIA GTX 970/980.

2GB of vram simply isn't enough to play the latest AAA games at Ultra settings, and this would bottleneck your Ryzen CPU.

Personally, I think that mobo is a poor choice for a few reasons:

-Limited PCIe lanes (this will prevent expansions for sound cards, SATA cards, video cards in the future)

-The VRMs are a limiting factor for a Ryzen 7 and overclocking

-And also, my past and current experience with GB mobos has been poor regarding Load Line Calibration, vcore stability, and setting the NB VID.

I would suggest either an ASUS ROG AM4 mobo or an ASRock Fata1ity.

Hopefully I'll be able to link shortly, I'm having issues with my adblocker.

Thanks for the feedback, especially RE the motherboard!

I will likely look to upgrade the Graphics card in 3-6 months time once the dust has settled on me spending a base £500+ out of the blue. I'll likely look at a GTX 970 - seeing as the Radeon cards are being used for mining and holding their value (or rising in some cases)

Thanks for the feedback, especially RE the motherboard!

I will likely look to upgrade the Graphics card in 3-6 months time once the dust has settled on me spending a base £500+ out of the blue. I'll likely look at a GTX 970 - seeing as the Radeon cards are being used for mining and holding their value (or rising in some cases)

The good news RE Nvidia cards is that they will provide better performance on Quake3 games including ET, UrT (Urban Terror), etc. This is due to a complex issue regarding the drivers and OpenGL extensions.

I'm working on either a customized ET Client (unlikely) or a DLL hook (likely) to bypass these issues, but I need to finish the project, test my code, and then provide the source code to Fearless Assassins to make sure it doesn't trigger our anticheat.

For right now (with the default and only safe original ET client) the Max FPS limit I've found for smooth gaming on AMD cards is 76fps. If anyone could correct me, that would be great. In the meantime, I would suggest your current config... but seriously, that GPU is sad- and I'm not just saying that because I'm "PC Master Race" or whatever BS.

Here's the thing- spending that money on that 2GB video card is literally a waste of money. You're not going to be able to sell it for much, and as such, you'd be better off saving up and waiting on your new build to get a 4GB+ card.

As a fellow =F|A= member though, I might be willing to either buy your 2GB card, or give you my 4GB RX480 for a reasonable price. For now, we'll have to wait and see, since the prices are through the roof. For everyone looking at this though, my "deal" would only extend to Whirlwind- nobody else.

• Like 2

The good news RE Nvidia cards is that they will provide better performance on Quake3 games including ET, UrT (Urban Terror), etc. This is due to a complex issue regarding the drivers and OpenGL extensions.

I'm working on either a customized ET Client (unlikely) or a DLL hook (likely) to bypass these issues, but I need to finish the project, test my code, and then provide the source code to Fearless Assassins to make sure it doesn't trigger our anticheat.

For right now (with the default and only safe original ET client) the Max FPS limit I've found for smooth gaming on AMD cards is 76fps. If anyone could correct me, that would be great. In the meantime, I would suggest your current config... but seriously, that GPU is sad- and I'm not just saying that because I'm "PC Master Race" or whatever BS.

Here's the thing- spending that money on that 2GB video card is literally a waste of money. You're not going to be able to sell it for much, and as such, you'd be better off saving up and waiting on your new build to get a 4GB+ card.

As a fellow =F|A= member though, I might be willing to either buy your 2GB card, or give you my 4GB RX480 for a reasonable price. For now, we'll have to wait and see, since the prices are through the roof. For everyone looking at this though, my "deal" would only extend to Whirlwind- nobody else.

Sounds awesome on the DLL Hook front! And I appreciate the info on the cards - that's good news re Nvidia vs AMD cards though. And the 2GB card was literally given to me for free by one of the dev guys here at work who bought a 1080! So no money dropped on it at all (Hence me keeping it for the first 3-6 months) And I much appreciate the offer regarding the 480 - I was initially looking at pairing them together (480 with the Ryzen chip)

• 3 weeks later...